Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealer policies with a tinge of "attitude"...

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Well, I was looking at a coin from Peru listed on eBay (1788 2 Reales) and went to read the seller's description of the coin. I deliberately left the particular eBay listing off of this note but if anyone is interested....um...well...never mind. This policy IS POSTED on eBay by a seller. Other than a healthy number of misspellings, lack of spacing, commas, questionable capitalization, wrong words, and the like, I detect a very faint sense of disillusion on the part of the seller. These policies make ME just want to buy, and buy, and then buy some more from this guy...not to mention him making me feel warm and fuzzy all over! 😫 Enjoy!

Piano1

"NEW POLICY: SHIPPING TO DOMESTIC ADDRESSES ONLY. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.

Your want a description? Here’s your description:

I’m selling coins and currency to serious buyers who want good deals and don’t need to be coddled the entire way.If that’s you, join the fun.If not, just keep on looking elsewhere because you’re not worth by trouble.

Answers to common questions:

DOMESTIC Shipping is FREE, I still get Questions every single day from folks who can’t seem to figure out the giant FREE SHIPPING Banner on every page.

FOREIGN Shipping: NOPE

Commonly asked questions:

Q. “Is this coin (Insert precious metal here)”

A.You figure it out.If you don’t know what you are looking at, do some research.

Q.Do You Combine Shipping?

A.Can’t you read?

Q. I bought this my mistake, can you cancel?

A.I’ll go ahead and start that unpaid item case for you

Q.I’d like to return a TPG (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, PMG) certified item

A.Welcome to my BBL List and various other industry blacklists of my choosing (There are FEW exceptions, I have encountered misattributions on more obscure coins that significantly affect value more frequently.That’s legitimate)

Q. Why are you so mean?

A. Because a person really develops some think skin after years of putting up with nonsense. I provide Numismatic items at no reserve, with plenty of bargain opportunities, I expect buyers to put forth some effort in taking the time to research the items they are buying. This is a hobby, it’s supposed to be fun.99.999% of folks have that figured out. You can to.

Q.I’d like to return this item because of a genuine issue (Wrong item sent, it happens, nobody’s perfect. There are other real reasons)

A.Go ahead and initiate a return using the returns center, you will receive a label at our cost and be refunded upon receipt AND Inspection.

Q. I’d like to return an item for a frivolous reason (I already had one, my dog/cat/toddler placed an absentee bid).

A.You’d be surprised how many dogs/cats/toddler’s know how to login, search for items that their parents routinely buy, and go through the four step process of placing a bid.You’d be really surprised how many dogs/cats/toddlers seem to know the exact market price of a coin for that matter. Just cut the baloney. Expect a few unkind words if I think your story don’t hold water.

Q.I have a resale license, can you remove the sales tax?

A.For California, ONLY If we have a SIGNED PHYSICAL COPY of your resale card on file and it passes verification and is up to date.

For the new Interstate sales tax. As of February 28, I CANNOT Remove out of state sales tax. That will likely change at some point. Please refer to the Wayfair vs. South Dakota supreme court ruling and it’s repercussions. This issue is big and not easily resolved at the moment.

Q. I’m located outside the US, Why do I not see tracking immediately?

A. Because we don't ship internationally anymore. All International order will summarily be canceled

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what's called "Biting off your nose in spite of your face". What a D!(&.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought from that seller before and it was a smooth process.
    That's his style; it might make some steer clear but enough people buy from him that the prices are often strong (auction end results).

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Have bought and sold a decent amount of material with him. No BS, and probably one of the easiest world dealers to work with. Several years of selling coins on ebay will make you rough around the edges.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect this is TCN (full store spelling not used here to protect the innocent)? If not, in either case, love the commentary by the dealer, just wish he/she would learn to spell and apply grammar appropriately.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this guy!

I've been a seller and a buyer for many years on eBay and have had MANY more unpleasant and goofy experiences as a seller than as a buyer.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to know the sellers ebay id. Seems to be a legitimate seller and would like to check out his inventory.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most amusing "conditions" I've seen on eBay are from that "Noah's Ark" mob - they have a dozen aliases, all vaguely religious or Noah's Ark-themed. They keep getting NARUed, because they keep getting reported for selling fake ancient coins and/or mis-identifying things (or other violations of eBay's coin selling policy), and they're clearly sick and tired of people trying to "help" them by pointing out that they're wrong. Here's the spiel from one of their latest offerings (An old Russian coin being marketed as "Coin Medallion Russian Unknown Ukraine Europe Maybe Copper Bronze RARE 9.6 gram") :

*** Answers To The Most Commonly Asked Questions Here: We don't have a metal tester. Silver is likely silver, Bronze & Copper too, if you do not digest that easily Please shop elsewhere. The word 'grade' is a hobby term; there is no hobby-talk in the Ark, we are not a coin store or hobbiers. We have more than one. If you do not correspond with us, or message about hobby terms, we may cancel the trade, it's all for charity here. Please know your hobby stuff if it's important to you, EPA & IQ Energies (aliens/People-ish,area 51 ish are important to us.

The item/items pictured may be copper or made of stone tin brass silver clay iron pewter bronze rock nickel, anything. The title of this listing & the listing may have/has errors because we don't know much about our assets OR your hobbies or our Fantasy Items stamps medals skeleton keys coins crosses charms statues. King Davids DreadLocks are greater than aTrillion Miles long, I am David. This entire area of space matter and time has beenCopied99Times, YES! illness iZillegal in MYouterSpace,YOUAREONMYPLANETSBESIDEMYSTARS. The sizes of life are a-z, you will learn thisinDFuture&isONLYDFutureHERE!THED, YES!! or ZERO, . YES.

**The history, trade-value & content are unknown for all Ark Assets. We are a not-forProfit, please support our mission 'helping the disabled'.

warm homes only & everyone happy is the job; ** Only on E-bay Please ** Some e-bayers see errors in our listings and wish to start trouble (steal assets or our time). If you feel something may not be to your liking Please walk away and do not play games. We do not ship to dormant or light-use e-bay accounts; we do not trade to new or newer accounts so we sometimes receive crazy & hostile messages which is why we may screen Ark Passengers before boarding. Competitors Ark Haters/WifiNonSocialIQEnergies regularly attack & even alter this e-bay accountSTOP!

** our trades are as-is guys & gals, Please. We do not do returns/refunds, our efforts are charity, if you are concerned about money please do not trade with us. Some Ark assets have different sizes & compounds than history books, in which case those may be Unknown HobbyFantasy RARE good for sending to professional hobby grader for a minimum of Fantasy / Fantasy Restrike classification authentication w/ labeling request. See all of our listings.

Supporters & Customers include: Collectors, so many Hollywood Movie & TV Companies, animal lovers who like the depictions, charities, doctors, gamers, accountants, lawyers, judges, The White House, jewelry makers, People Bored At Home; Hobbiers Students, History Buffs; parents teaching their kids about history; Antique Lovers, so many Antique Dealers, more doctors, The Belt Buckle Company again & again Thank You For Your Support!, Municipal Museums, a zoo, The Cali Horse Veterinarian, Mr. Fransisco in WA USA, school districts & their history departments,; those that need a 'Touch of Luck Ark Blessing'.

Fancy Means Hobby Fantasy in-Ark. All assets traded as Ark Fantasy even if it is a 999000 year old medallion statue or key. We have many relics, & so many unknown coins medals tokens Metal-ishThings.. our scale is off from time to time too, yes, and iq energies make changes to my listings, yes...

I've cropped out a lot of their keyword-spamming (which they are also probably being NARUed for). Speaking as someone who actually does sell things on behalf of a religious charity, I can say I find their claims of being a religious charity are not credible. No real religious charity wants to have anything to do with selling fake coins, and would willingly offer a refund if a coin they sold proved to be fake.

This kind of "belligerently wilful ignorance" is, to me, clear evidence that they know exactly what they're selling, and are shameless in their pursuit of profits above truth.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:37PM

I just dealt with someone who offered returns in which there may be a service fee involved. I did not like the coin in hand and started the return. About a week later I received a "partial refund". I asked the seller about this and he replied that it was a restocking fee. Which was 10%. It was only a $300 coin, but...read and understand the terms before you pull the trigger.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    I like this guy!

I've been a seller and a buyer for many years on eBay and have had MANY more unpleasant and goofy experiences as a seller than as a buyer.

Interesting, because I’ve had 4 ebay sellers try to scam me (the buyer) over the last month. I always read where the ebay buyers create odd scenarios and problems, but rarely do I hear about sellers stealing from the customers. Surely I cannot be the only one this happens to on a regular basis?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@oldabeintx said:
    I like this guy!

Interesting, because I’ve had 4 ebay sellers try to scam me (the buyer) over the last month. I always read where the ebay buyers create odd scenarios and problems, but rarely do I hear about sellers stealing from the customers. Surely I cannot be the only one this happens to on a regular basis?

It's never happened to me in 25 years on eBay. Then again, I ignore listings with red flags.

Define "scam me".

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scam: not mail the item, mail the wrong/different item, mail an empty package, mail the package to a different random address

• Options

I must admit that the dealer's "terms" were a bit of a turn-off when I read them. Now, having read the many comments resulting from my post, I can see some valid points as to why the seller's "terms" are as they are. Years ago when I was also selling on eBay (just restarted last week after maybe a 6 or 7-year sabbatical) I can remember only 1 incident when I was a bit ticked off at a buyer. All went well with the sale, including payment...a few weeks later the buyer demanded a full refund because he found an identical one (proof foreign coin in case) at a lower price. Well, I'm not into hassles so I refunded...including postage...and got the coin back. So, maybe I should put THAT incident back in my active memory banks.

Still, I am very polite as a seller and have yet to experience any negatives. I say "yet"...I've only sold 7 things since my return to eBay. And, true confession time, I did bid on 3 inexpensive items from the seller discussed here. Probably won't win them but it's worth a shot. You can bet your --- that I won't ask any stupid questions, though! :D

Piano1

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭

I do not shop E-Bay, but I did get a good laugh about the dog/cat thing.
    A few years back I was following an auction on Heritage. I was bidding on a coin and had just decided to drop out when my ginger cat Elliot leapt up on my computer desk. He executed a perfect landing on my hand on the mouse and me click the bid box. I call it my kitty cat coin.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

I like it, sans the misspellings; funny, straight up, and assuming his auctions are clean with no shills, would bid and buy.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did business as a seller for many years on Ebay, and I do not blame this guy for all the rules. There are a few morons out there that ruin it for everyone. You try to be as nice and professional as possible, but that isn't good enough for a few jerks.
    You have to put yourself in the sellers position to understand the attitude. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other sellers there.

As far as buying from sellers I have never done business with, I will always buy a few cheap items first, to see how well those transactions go before purchasing more expensive items.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Scam: not mail the item, mail the wrong/different item, mail an empty package, mail the package to a different random address

I've only dealt with coins and other collectibles, with folks who have a good track record. I've been lucky.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I alway say, "A bad attitude is better than no attitude."

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

File a claim with eBay, they give you your money back and take it from the seller. Problem solved.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think rouble-rousing terms in a kitschy sort of way is rather entertaining. However, when I am dealing with real people, I lead with respect and demand it in return. Generally, I have no problems because I do not waste a lot of time, I throw out reasonable offers, and honor them whenever someone agrees. I don't kick tires, but happy to chat and look at what a dealer wants to show me. I have a few dealers that I call "buddies" at this point, so it's working.

All that said, some coin dealers are an interesting breed of rude. I will not deal with those dealers regardless of their material. The coins are critical, but the buying experience is also important to me.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is his name Richard?

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve consigned for years to eBay sellers and paid them fairly to handle the listings and all the buyer crap that comes with it. Whenever I think about doing it myself, I recall threads like these and drop that idea immediately.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options

@1madman said:

Clearly you didn't read the rest of the thread. Multiple people on the thread have done business with them.

• Options

@Veep said:
    I’ve consigned for years to eBay sellers and paid them fairly to handle the listings and all the buyer crap that comes with it. Whenever I think about doing it myself, I recall threads like these and drop that idea immediately.

The complaints are overdone. I do thousands of eBay transactions per year and sometimes go the entire year without any buyer issues. Go to a medical review website and you will quickly be convinced that everyone who has surgery is either dead or disfigured.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never sold on ebay... and rarely buy anything there. Years ago (25-30) I bought a lot of stuff... was a new venue then and a prolific source of material for one of my hobbies. I have not had seller problems, but based on what I have read (here and elsewhere), I can understand why a seller might (has) posted such information. Anyone who has worked in retail (real life) can attest to how strange, weird, frustrating, some of the public can be. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I never worked retail so I can't relate in THAT regard, but I just completed a 5-year volunteer term as Maintenance Coordinator for our condo association. Most residents were pleasant to work with but it's the few "challenging" residents that made me appreciate when I honored my commitment and completed my term. Ya' just can't make everyone happy I guess. I'm sure selling on E-Bay (or elsewhere) presents its list of "challenges" too. So far, I've been lucky. Presently I'm awaiting feedback on all but 1 sale...seems that packages using the USPS/eBay services are taking a long time these days. I'm at 100% positive based on my prior buying and selling years ago. Feedback is important to me because I would feel pretty bad if someone isn't happy. Piano1

• Options

Well...I just got notification of my first return...ever! I offered a Masonic Token on one side of a U.S. Seated Liberty Dime from the 1850's. The buyer started a return action because it isn't a Masonic Token. Buyer is requesting a refund ()which I DID just authorize). I did look up Mason tokens prior to my listing the piece and thought that mine was a good match Obviously, the buyer did not look at the photos in my listing. I'll return the $7 for the token though buyer had to pay shipping for the piece to him.

Here is the description in my listing.

"Thanks for stopping by! This piece is a Mason or Masonic medal drawn onto an old U.S. Dime from either 1853, 1854, or 1855. The exact date is difficult to determine but the arrow at the date indicates it is from that time period. The symbol of the Masons is artistically done but I don't know what the purpose of the token/medal was. Perhaps worn as part of a pin? Perhaps proof of Masonic membership?

Anyway, I don't collect this type of thing so I am offering it here on eBay very reasonably. There are no returns on this item but I expect that it holds a lot of history for someone who is interested in Masonic history and the organization's participation in the history of the United States.

Upon sale of this item, it will be shipped within 2 days of eBay's verification of payment in a protective holder, wrapped, and sent in a padded mailer.

Again, thanks!!"

Here is the reason for the return...

"Refund received
    Mar 11
    Return started
    Return Reason

Doesn't match description or photos

Details

This is NOT Masonic, it is Order United American Mechanics This organization used a symbol that appears similar to the Masonic square and compasses. It consists of the typical Masonic square and compasses, with an arm holding a hammer in the center. The Masonic would have had a "G" inside and the token isn t Masonic."

Something isn't quite right here in my humble opinion since this item "was not returnable" according to my listing and obviously, the buyer didn't examine the photos before purchasing. Oh well, my first unhappy buyer on eBay. Why am I not feeling guilty???

Piano1

• Options

@Piano1 said:
    Something isn't quite right here in my humble opinion since this item "was not returnable" according to my listing and obviously, the buyer didn't examine the photos before purchasing.

Several years ago, I contacted eBay customer service about a return request (buyer wanted me to pay the return postage) for a coin that was described as toned and included a picture showing a toned coin. Buyer complained because they didn't want a coin with toning. During the conversation with CS, I was told that eBay does not require the buyer to either read the description or look at any images provided. Sure, it's a stupid policy but what are you going to do?

• Options

Hi, MasonG. Yup. That's a stupid policy on eBay's part but I guess I understand if they don't want to find themselves in the middle of every dispute between buyer and seller.

OK, my buyer didn't read the description or look at the photos. Fine, but my listing DOES state no returns on this item. Oh well...a friend once told me "that's why God invented chocolate AND vanilla". Works for me in this case. Heck...it's $7 and if he wants the $4 shipping, I'll send him a check for that too. E-Bay is already refunding the $7. Maybe I'll fly out to his place and wash his car, buy a few pizzas for the family, and give them all passes to Disneyland so they can all meet their relative from snow White; DOPEY!

Piano1

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 5:37PM

I feel for him. Can’t say really blame him. Lame eBay buyers, flake outs can take their toll. What is hilarious is when the flake out (or scammer) botches the return and does not return by deadline or too stupid providing any tracking. Then no return allowed lol. I believe there are a lot of scammers who initiate returns thinking sellers will refund before item received back. Well we are on to them - no free rides in numismatics!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 6:24PM

AS a major seller on E-Bay (sold 10 coins this year) here's what I figured out. It's purely my personal observation.

1) SOME BUYERS SHOULD NOT BUY FROM SOME SELLERS.
    2)SOME SELLERS SHOULD NOT SELL TO SOME BUYERS.

Sometimes the fit is just not there and problems ensue from forced interactions.

NUFF said.

• Options

OK. I see your point(s). The problem is, how would anyone know who to sell to or who to buy from? I guess someone could compile a massive directory somehow but then people would complain that their constitutional rights were violated or some such thing. I guess there are risks in either role as buyer or seller. 99% of the time I have learned, people are great but occasionally, a clunker squeaks in to muddy the waters. Piano1

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 7:01AM

eBay has its share of bad buyers. A seller has no control over this (it’s not like these people have a dunce badge) and can only block them after the incident.

It’s not necessarily a matter of fit. There are some really sorry trash buyers on eBay just like there are on bourse at shows. Of course at a show I don’t owe them anything except the item they paid for or payment for the item I purchased from them. I maintain a professional attitude / profile at both and shake off as background radiation any negative attitude or outgoing expression of players. I am there to buy and sell. RCI is a tough business but fun.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Piano1 said:
    Hi, MasonG. Yup. That's a stupid policy on eBay's part but I guess I understand if they don't want to find themselves in the middle of every dispute between buyer and seller.

OK, my buyer didn't read the description or look at the photos. Fine, but my listing DOES state no returns on this item. Oh well...a friend once told me "that's why God invented chocolate AND vanilla". Works for me in this case. Heck...it's $7 and if he wants the $4 shipping, I'll send him a check for that too. E-Bay is already refunding the $7. Maybe I'll fly out to his place and wash his car, buy a few pizzas for the family, and give them all passes to Disneyland so they can all meet their relative from snow White; DOPEY!

Piano1

To be fair, you did list it incorrectly.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha. We've done eBay since 1998 and have seen some funny TOS over the years. This guy is legendary for his TOS...in fact I think that there's been a thread about him here in the past.
    Guys like him are actually easy to deal with if you have a brain and know how to read.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 360 ✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    AS a major seller on E-Bay (sold 10 coins this year) here's what I figured out. It's purely my personal observation.

1) SOME BUYERS SHOULD NOT BUY FROM SOME SELLERS.
    2)SOME SELLERS SHOULD NOT SELL TO SOME BUYERS.

Sometimes the fit is just not there and problems ensue from forced interactions.

NUFF said.

After all these years, though, there's still no way for buyers to block sellers. I really wish there were.

Sellers blocking buyers is of marginal utility anyway as buyers will just use an alternate account. In the worst cases they'll have their associates buy for them.

About the policies in the OP, one problem is that the customers he's trying to weed out won't be bothered to read his policies in the first place. So it's mainly just entertainment.

• Options

@conrad99 said:
    After all these years, though, there's still no way for buyers to block sellers. I really wish there were.

Sellers can be excluded when doing searches.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 360 ✭✭✭

Yeah I think everyone knows that.

• Options

As a relative "newbie" on eBay, I didn't know that sellers could be excluded. I guess I have more exploration to do on the site. So far, all has been great with the sellers that my wife and I have purchased from. Not only coins! 😉

Piano1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file