Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling/trading to a dealer at a coin show

VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be going to a show this weekend and I have a few coins l’d like to sell or trade. I don’t quite know the etiquette for approaching a dealer with my coins and I don’t want look stupid or be insulting. What advice would you give me. I would either want to sell outright or if I see something of interest in their case, maybe do a trade. These are certified mid grade US coins but with values of between $1000 and $2000. Thanks

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start off by asking "Are you doing any buying or trading?".
    The value material you have should get the attention of most dealers.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect lower than what you would get for it if you sold it to a private buyer. After all, the dealer has to sell it for a profit. So be prepared to take what may seem to you like a low ball offer. In my experience, especially since covid, there is not much back and forth barter or debate these days - what they offer is normally what they will pay and if not then no deal. If they really like it they may raise it.
    Good luck - you might get more for them on eBay!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do your due diligence beforehand checking out recent auction results and Greysheet. Be hardnosed and anticipate the critical analyis finding problems and typical rhetoric to strengthen their argument. You may want to call around because usually the highest price to be realized with what you have is online these days in most cases.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that you can always say no especially if you aren’t very motivated to sell.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    It can be difficult enough for a seller and a buyer to come to an agreement on a mutually acceptable price. But it can complicate things considerably, when an attempted trade’s involved. So unless the dealer is someone you have some type of relationship with, I’d advise avoiding an attempted trade in your initial interactions.

@TomB said:
    I never liked when folks wanted to trade their inventory for my inventory. I would suggest that they trade their cash for my inventory or their inventory for my cash, instead. Trades can muck things up horribly. The best option is to sell and buy, if possible.

Agree with both of these comments. With trades, one party is getting rid of coins not wanted in favor of acquiring wanted coins while the other may not be, complicating efforts at arriving at agreeable values for the coins involved. Much simpler to sell unwanted coins for cash and use that cash to buy wanted coins.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must know when a dealer is selling to you it's always a PQ A#1 could gold CAC.
    If your selling it's way over graded, CAC made a mistake, TPG over graded it.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Twobitcollector said:
    If your selling it's way over graded, CAC made a mistake, TPG over graded it.

Buyers (on both sides of the table) say this all the time. :)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@MasonG said:
    To start, look for dealers who are selling similar coins. Next- "Hi- I have some coins I'd like to sell. Are these anything you'd be interested in?" If the response is "Yes", be prepared with the prices you'd like to get since you'll most likely be asked "What do you want for them?"

I agree with above; however, I would suggest you ask the dealer to review your coins and provide his/her best price. If you provide a price first you just set the ceiling. After selling coins at multiple shows I found that most dealers are about 80% of retail, maybe a little higher if they really want your merchandise. At a larger show I might get offers from 2 or 3 dealers and do a deal with the one that gives me the best offer. However, as a matter of courtesy I always get back with the other dealers to thank them for their time. I'm always courteous, but not afraid to negotiate for a little more. But the key is to be reasonable, dealers are in business to make a profit and you can not expect to receive retail for your coins.
    One last point, I will make a suggestion which is somewhat contrary to some of the comments above. If one of the dealers that you are negotiating with has coins that you are interested in, that dealer may give you a better offer because the dealer will make money on the coins bought from you and the coins sold to you. In this case the dealer may be willing to slim down their normal profit margins. But for this technique to work you first must get a good feeling where the dealer is on the offer to buy your coins, then bring in to the discussion the coins you are interested in either to raise the trade value or likewise a better deal on the coins you are buying.
    Good Luck!

While it sounds nice to let the dealer throw out the first set of numbers in an offer of sale to that dealer, it does not always work. If folks tried that with me I would very politely tell them to figure out their numbers and then come back to me to discuss a possible sale.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a photo here of one of the coins you have and see what people here think its worth... Just for information...

• Options

@TomB said:

@JW77 said:

@MasonG said:
    To start, look for dealers who are selling similar coins. Next- "Hi- I have some coins I'd like to sell. Are these anything you'd be interested in?" If the response is "Yes", be prepared with the prices you'd like to get since you'll most likely be asked "What do you want for them?"

I agree with above; however, I would suggest you ask the dealer to review your coins and provide his/her best price. If you provide a price first you just set the ceiling. After selling coins at multiple shows I found that most dealers are about 80% of retail, maybe a little higher if they really want your merchandise. At a larger show I might get offers from 2 or 3 dealers and do a deal with the one that gives me the best offer. However, as a matter of courtesy I always get back with the other dealers to thank them for their time. I'm always courteous, but not afraid to negotiate for a little more. But the key is to be reasonable, dealers are in business to make a profit and you can not expect to receive retail for your coins.
    One last point, I will make a suggestion which is somewhat contrary to some of the comments above. If one of the dealers that you are negotiating with has coins that you are interested in, that dealer may give you a better offer because the dealer will make money on the coins bought from you and the coins sold to you. In this case the dealer may be willing to slim down their normal profit margins. But for this technique to work you first must get a good feeling where the dealer is on the offer to buy your coins, then bring in to the discussion the coins you are interested in either to raise the trade value or likewise a better deal on the coins you are buying.
    Good Luck!

While it sounds nice to let the dealer throw out the first set of numbers in an offer of sale to that dealer, it does not always work. If folks tried that with me I would very politely tell them to figure out their numbers and then come back to me to discuss a possible sale.

Anybody selling four figure coins (aside from heirs who inherited them) has a number in mind before making the offer to sell.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting this thread, a lot of great information and opinions shared here.

As a collector who loves to trade, I wish you success!

A suggestion I have not seen is eBay. If you have an account, particularly with sales history it might be an option.
    Good material has been selling strong from what I have seen come and go recently. A lot of quality stuff goes for over pcgs list prices.
    If you do go the eBay route, add about 15% extra for the fees and shipping.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 6:42PM

Sure, you need to do your research before the show to know the current retail market, Greysheet prices if you can get them, and what your bottom number is to sell. All this accomplished before you sit down with a dealer/dealers.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not recommend selling this value of coins to a dealer at a show, you (IMO) be better off selling outright on eBay or similar.

These are certified mid grade US coins but with values of between $1000 and $2000

• Options
    edited March 9, 2023 6:55PM

@JW77 said:
    Sure, you need to do your research before the show to know the current retail market, Greysheet prices if you can get them, and what your bottom number is to sell. All this accomplished before you sit down with a dealer/dealers.

With the understanding that everybody has an opinion on the subject and there is no right answer, the OP said "I don’t want look stupid or be insulting". One way to avoid that is to say upfront what you want for your coins. There are posts here every so often complaining about dealers at shows who don't put prices on their coins, this situation is pretty much the same except from the other side of the table. If you have a bottom number figured out, why not tell the dealer? How would that be any different than asking the dealer "What's your best price on this" when buying?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Yeah. My offer expires when you leave the table. If you come back, the offer is likely lower, unless it is something I really like, because I know you couldn't find a better offer.

Next time someone asks for your best price on something you have for sale, tell them. And then, let them know if you haven't got a better offer by the end of the show, they can have it for that.

Think that'll fly? ;)

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 7:18PM

o> @MasonG said:

@MasonG said:

With the understanding that everybody has an opinion on the subject and there is no right answer, the OP said "I don’t want look stupid or be insulting". One way to avoid that is to say upfront what you want for your coins. There are posts here every so often complaining about dealers at shows who don't put prices on their coins, this situation is pretty much the same except from the other side of the table. If you have a bottom number figured out, why not tell the dealer? How would that be any different than asking the dealer "What's your best price on this?"

As you said its a matter of opinion. If the dealer gives you a price the floor is set; if you give the price you set the ceiling. From a negotiating standpoint its always better to let the other guy go first. @TomB said he requires the customer to say what they are looking for and that is his choice. That works for Tom; however, I have never had a dealer turn me down to review my coins and provide me an offer first. But I also always had good PCGS CAC high quality merchandise. At the end of the day, some dealers are ok throwing out a number first and others may not. That's my thoughts on this and will leave it at that. You are welcome to get the last word Mason.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold four coins at last week's ANA show, I think I could have done better by walking over to the GC table and consigning the coins to auction. I inquired at each table if they were buying, most were but a few dealers were less anxious to buy and were more net sellers with tax time close. Those who were asked to see what I had, and the very first thing they all asked was what was I asking. I sold my four coins quite easily and came out ahead of what I had paid on all but one which I broke even on. I did have a fifth coin I shopped around too but it was a very common date sub $100 coin, even with the CAC bean, and while I could have sold it (still at a slim profit) the interest was lite and I decided to take that one home with me.

My takeaway, be prepared with both a preliminary number and a bottom line I'd be better off holding these coins number too. And several dealers were willing to work a trade as part of the deal, so if there is something that really interests you in a dealers case it may be an option.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it difficult to just make a trade unless the dealer has something that you really want. A trade can be a great bargaining tool, and maybe the first thing you want to find is a coin that you really want, and would even be willing to pay the dealer's asking price for it. This is the best time to make a "trading" deal.

OINK

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a dealer that has a coin you want and work on a price, when final ask, "would you be interested in this coin?"
    That's all.

You can always move on to the next dealer, that is the beauty of a show.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 10:18PM

@keyman64 said:
    Know the recent auction sale history for the coins you own! Most dealers will not offer you anything close to what they are worth...and by worth, I mean what you can sell them for yourself to other collectors. Be patient and do not sell to dealers. Either find collectors to sell them to or consign them to Great Collections. Don't allow yourself to get ripped off just because you want to buy something. Be patient. You can also try to post them on the BST here. If you have a coin Instagram account or coin Facebook account then you can sell by making contacts on those platforms as well.

This ^^^^. Unless you need cash, this weekend, why not consign to GC? Your coins will receive very wide exposure, and, for better or worse, you will receive what they are worth, less the 10% buyer's fee, with no seller's fee. It will take several weeks for your auction to close, but you will be likely to receive a price a lot closer to retail than whatever a dealer at a show will offer someone they have no relationship with.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Know the recent auction sale history for the coins you own! Most dealers will not offer you anything close to what they are worth...and by worth, I mean what you can sell them for yourself to other collectors. Be patient and do not sell to dealers. Either find collectors to sell them to or consign them to Great Collections. Don't allow yourself to get ripped off just because you want to buy something. Be patient. You can also try to post them on the BST here. If you have a coin Instagram account or coin Facebook account then you can sell by making contacts on those platforms as well.

I have been over anxious many of times, actually more than many of times.
    I was one of those people that just wanted the coin without thinking about over paying. :/

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given how hard it's become for dealers to source quality material at fair prices, about half of them - once a show quiets down - will greet me with "do you have anything to sell".

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many dealers have their coin inventory listed at their website. If there is a coin you are interested in and want to trade, but would like to see the coin in hand first, email or call them and introduce yourself. Confirm if they'll be at the show and ask if they can or will be bringing the particular coin(s) to the show. Let them know when you'll be at the show that way if they have another prospective buyer the dealer knows how to respond to the other buyer. Also inquire if they are open to trades or combination of trade and cash. A reputable dealer will hold the coin until you've had a chance to deal face to face. Then follow through or inform them off any change in schedule. Need to build that report before the show. The show is too busy to build any kind of business relationship.

I agree with @JW77:
    "If one of the dealers that you are negotiating with has coins that you are interested in, that dealer may give you a better offer because the dealer will make money on the coins bought from you and the coins sold to you. In this case the dealer may be willing to slim down their normal profit margins."

In any meaningful negotiations the result should be a "win, win" for both sides.

Just my two cents worth of experience in contract negotiations and coin trading.

Good luck!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read through again. There is all you need above.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.... While I am not a dealer, and I rarely sell coins, I find the information above typical of most products. Know your products value... Know the value of products you want... Have your prices for buying or selling established in your mind before business begins and stick to the plan. Of course, in rare instances, something special or different could enter into the deal... Be prepared to back away long enough to evaluate the new situation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 8:59AM

@TomB said:
    I never liked when folks wanted to trade their inventory for my inventory. I would suggest that they trade their cash for my inventory or their inventory for my cash, instead. Trades can muck things up horribly. The best option is to sell and buy, if possible.

I'd generally agree, but a friend of mine did a relatively simple exchange that worked for both. He had 3 coins, 2 bullion raws and an MS-65 1924 Saint. So pretty liquid coins one and all.

The dealer took all 3 for an MS-66+ 1908 NM Saint that the dealer had. I told my friend to kick in some $$$ and grab an MS-67 he had but he was happy with the exchange and didn't want to go another $1,500 for the 67.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

I liked what you said except for "Be patient and do not sell to dealers." One thing I've learned from this discussion group, which I did not expect, is do not discount dealers. I had a recent happy experience with one dealer who regularly posts here. You really need to consider all selling options.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@keyman64 said:

I liked what you said except for "Be patient and do not sell to dealers." One thing I've learned from this discussion group, which I did not expect, is do not discount dealers. I had a recent happy experience with one dealer who regularly posts here. You really need to consider all selling options.

Not to mention that dealers buy a significant percentage of coins at auction.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned above, there is nothing wrong at all with selling or trading to dealers, but you have to keep in mind that they are a business and need to make a profit from every transaction, so you will likely receive less than you would by selling it outright - same as when you trade in a car on a new one, as opposed to selling the old car yourself.

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Great timing. I'm going to my first show in over 13 years next weekend and was going to ask the same question about trading at shows. Thanks for the great advice above, I'll definitely keep it in mind, though my only goal this time is to know some local dealers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    As mentioned above, there is nothing wrong at all with selling or trading to dealers, but you have to keep in mind that they are a business and need to make a profit from every transaction, so you will likely receive less than you would by selling it outright - same as when you trade in a car on a new one, as opposed to selling the old car yourself.

It really depends. In any sale other than a major auction, you are setting the price. It is not a given that the offer from another collector will be higher than the dealer. The dealer may well know the highest buyer in the country for the item. Is the collector in front of you that same buyer? That buyer is trying to not pay the most possible, he wants to pay the least possible.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's your first show, just don't.
    If you haven't "scoped out" the dealer/s in your type of coins, it will just be frustrating for both parties.,
    Experience is what counts.

If you don't have it, use an auction.

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@FrankH thanks, that's my plan. Just scoping them out for now, don't plan on selling or trading at this time. Definitely buying if I find some quality stuff within my interests.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 6:41PM

One dealer I know who buys at shows has lots of cash. He has a big green banner “Cash Paid for coins”. It attracts them coming in the bourse room. Generally he offers 2/3 of CDN Bid. This is pretty much well par what a wholesaler I know pays for material walking in his shop. Sometimes he sets up with stuff at wholesale say bid plus about 5%. I try pickup material from him before they let the public in. Having good buying cash at show kickoff key. A vest pocket trader I know buys a lot of stuff from him (after it walks in the shop) probably ten back of bid. It’s all a food chain and having the right connections is key.

Know what you are going to realize after auction house juice, shipping, etc. Then you will be in a position to evaluate offer from show dealer.

Remember they are not the bank for your coins, money mismanagement, or buying mistakes. Dealer next to me at recent show was offering 20 pct behind CDN bid to walkup sellers. He flipped some generic slabbed 63 and 64 Saints to another dealer at 5 pct behind CDN bid per some convo we had about the market. The guy that has lots of buying cash is in the drivers seat in this business. If you pay too much it will catch up with you later on.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file