Home U.S. Coin Forum

Of Historical Interest for Pattern People

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

This is a July 1909 announcement of preparation of Adams & Woodin's pattern book and snippet on Stellas. Maybe the delay in release of the book turned off all the other pattern collectors...

Comments

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked the comment "This book will probably be the authority on patterns for all time ..." I guess that prediction gets a big Oops. :) That said, I don't have a copy of it. It's not high on my list but it would be fun to have.

Mark

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy old coin books, and when I see them for a reasonable price, will pick them up for my library. Have not encountered this one. Years ago, I came across Rose's book on chopmarks, quite by chance, at a gunshow. Snagged that one immediately. Cheers, RickO

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting those - fun reading!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 5:51PM

Edgar Adams and William H. Woodin published their work titled “United States Pattern, Trial, and Experimental Pieces" in the American Numismatic Society Monograph in 1913. So you will find it as an ANS monograph soft covered.
    Many of these patterns would be subsequently exhibited at the 1914 ANS convention (the largest exhibition of patterns ever) and eventually be sold to Virgil Brand
    A hardcover reprint was done in 1959, which was same year as the first edition of the Judd Pattern book

Visit USPatterns.com

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Adams' first edition, 1913 with notes from the Judson Brenner collection of Pattern cents. Ex: R.E. (Ted) Naftzger Jr.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

The first edition was believed to be limited to about 200 copies.

Visit USPatterns.com

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, when I read the subject line I thought you were going to show a coin with a face of a person that looked plaid, lol.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file