Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

82 year old busted selling fake graded cards

Comments

  • johfrjohfr Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

    At 82 I hope he enjoys a nice long stay in a federal penitentiary.

  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Put em in Gen Pop... B)

  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No love for this guy as there is for Herr Maestro? Who apparently was applauded at a recent National. Never understood why so many collectors an dealers support proven fraudsters.

    Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

  • mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Old enough to know better!

    Mark

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I give him props for coming up with the fake slab. He must have had some help, maybe someone younger like 65.

    Mike
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    No love for this guy as there is for Herr Maestro? Who apparently was applauded at a recent National. Never understood why so many collectors an dealers support proven fraudsters.

    I didnt hear this story about Maestro. Applauded? why would anyone applaud that guy after what he pulled.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    and to add, I dont care if he is 82 or 102, if convicted, i hope they throw the book at him. I have no use for thieves.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

    I'm glad these people get exposed. I just learned of Tony Podsada last night and read through several threads about the GFA scandal.

    Coicidentally...the other post I created about 8x10 NBA photos are the same NBA Hoops photos that My Favorite Players was using for a lot of their basketball plaques.

  • Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

    @mark_dak said:
    Old enough to know better!

    Mark

    Still too young to care

  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Crazy! He’s not the only one. More to come. Dude got almost a million dollars before getting caught. Insane!

  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @craig44 said:

    @82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    No love for this guy as there is for Herr Maestro? Who apparently was applauded at a recent National. Never understood why so many collectors an dealers support proven fraudsters.

    I didnt hear this story about Maestro. Applauded? why would anyone applaud that guy after what he pulled.

    Some of it was mentioned here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13044418#Comment_13044418

    Not sure if the video link is still good.

    Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    No love for this guy as there is for Herr Maestro? Who apparently was applauded at a recent National. Never understood why so many collectors an dealers support proven fraudsters.

    Just look at all the people willing to do business with Ken Goldin.

  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

    There are a couple of brothers on ebay who have been peddling fake autos for years. I can't wait for the day they are busted.

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

    I think the fake cards and the selling of reprint cards are very bad and slowly killing the hobby.

  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

    @yankeeno7 said:
    There are a couple of brothers on ebay who have been peddling fake autos for years. I can't wait for the day they are busted.

    Can you PM me a link to an auction of theirs?

  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thought it would be good to post one of the cards for illustration.

    Mike
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yankeeno7 said:
    There are a couple of brothers on ebay who have been peddling fake autos for years. I can't wait for the day they are busted.

    That's why I only buy PSA, JSA, or Beckett signed items.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At 82 life in prison is not much of a deterrent.

    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

    Ralph

  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

    Though its not totally the same, the problem of counterfeits "ungraded" goes ignored for the most part as there are people selling them through facebook and on ebay every day. When those people start getting their just desserts, then we might see and ebb in some of this

    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

    @Stone193 said:

    Thought it would be good to post one of the cards for illustration.

    So this one was even graded? I can't see the image large enough to go through the various ways I know of to check for fakes.

    If this were undiably a fake then grading companies need a way to allow reporting and potentially flag the system.

    For PSA, with their photo scanning, they can go back and determine if what they originally graded was the reported fake. It's possible a fake label was made and the original PSA10 is in it's original graded slab and now another fake copy is circulating. It's possible the card was swapped after grading.

    Thankfully the community of collectors go out of their way to help people by posting about how to spot fakes, new scandals, and other helpful information.

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

    Is there any agency to report fake / counterfeit cards to.
    I found on Ebay a seller selling cards that I believe are copied.

  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    hey @pdoidoi
    I'd call Ebay on that seller; then I would work up the ladder: contacting the local police, the counterfeiter's city/state police, the local news team, the FBI, the ATF, and post the seller/ counterfeiter here on the forum so that other members here also could do a follow-up to Ebay, and let others know about the counterfeiter... :)

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

    I notified Ebay, and I believe they booted them but I really feel the one they booted was a 2nd account for that seller. The cards they were selling was the Quaker Pack-O-Ten Braves Of Indian Nations Sample card. The seller had one under one account and selling the same card with exact same damage as another card but only with differently word title, saying it was the Armour Star Franks Indian language instead of the Quaker. I was very very upset with Ebay. I won both cards through the different seller accounts but after I got the first card the seller cancelled the second order telling me there was a problem with my account and refunded me. I believe they did not want me to have the 2 cards because it was so very obviously that one was copied from the other. I still have one card and have pictures of the one that the seller cancelled.
    I have over 760 Ebay purchases and never had any problem with my shipping address.

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

    @GroceryRackPack said:
    hey @pdoidoi
    I'd call Ebay on that seller; then I would work up the ladder: contacting the local police, the counterfeiter's city/state police, the local news team, the FBI, the ATF, and post the seller/ counterfeiter here on the forum so that other members here also could do a follow-up to Ebay, and let others know about the counterfeiter... :)

    I thought Ebay would want to get hold of the 2 cards for law purposes but they did not seem very interested.

  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pdoidoi said:
    I notified Ebay, and I believe they booted them but I really feel the one they booted was a 2nd account for that seller. The cards they were selling was the Quaker Pack-O-Ten Braves Of Indian Nations Sample card. The seller had one under one account and selling the same card with exact same damage as another card but only with differently word title, saying it was the Armour Star Franks Indian language instead of the Quaker. I was very very upset with Ebay. I won both cards through the different seller accounts but after I got the first card the seller cancelled the second order telling me there was a problem with my account and refunded me. I believe they did not want me to have the 2 cards because it was so very obviously that one was copied from the other. I still have one card and have pictures of the one that the seller cancelled.
    I have over 760 Ebay purchases and never had any problem with my shipping address.

    Or perhaps there was only one card, but two listings??? Sadly, it's not at all uncommon to sell a collectible one doesn't own with the idea that the seller will be able to buy it from the owner for less and make a quick flipping profit.

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @pdoidoi said:
    I notified Ebay, and I believe they booted them but I really feel the one they booted was a 2nd account for that seller. The cards they were selling was the Quaker Pack-O-Ten Braves Of Indian Nations Sample card. The seller had one under one account and selling the same card with exact same damage as another card but only with differently word title, saying it was the Armour Star Franks Indian language instead of the Quaker. I was very very upset with Ebay. I won both cards through the different seller accounts but after I got the first card the seller cancelled the second order telling me there was a problem with my account and refunded me. I believe they did not want me to have the 2 cards because it was so very obviously that one was copied from the other. I still have one card and have pictures of the one that the seller cancelled.
    I have over 760 Ebay purchases and never had any problem with my shipping address.

    Or perhaps there was only one card, but two listings??? Sadly, it's not at all uncommon to sell a collectible one doesn't own with the idea that the seller will be able to buy it from the owner for less and make a quick flipping profit.

    No, one card looked newer, clean and the other looked used dirtier.

  • HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

    I had a seller using my photos to sell BBCE wrapped boxes

  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Harnessracing said:
    I had a seller using my photos to sell BBCE wrapped boxes

    That’s Just Awful… :/

  • HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

    Of course when I emailed him.... radio silent

Sign In or Register to comment.