Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Image First View on Raw cards

Anyone notice that Raw card "first view" image scans are now included on grading submissions once they are received?

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 5:11PM

So as long as the cards aren't damaged being taken out of the cardsaver, we'll have pics before they get damaged in grading/encapsulation... Now peeps will get a package from PSA and after the reveal, will star comparing and contrasting looking for condition differences! Actually, I think the links disappear once the order is graded and replaced with a link to the slab images, so peeps better right click and save those images!

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    So as long as the cards aren't damaged being taken out of the cardsaver, we'll have pics before they get damaged in grading/encapsulation... Now peeps will get a package from PSA and after the reveal, will star comparing and contrasting looking for condition differences! Actually, I think the links disappear once the order is graded and replaced with a link to the slab images, so peeps better right click and save those images!

Yeah the scanning of the raw cards seems it could be adding another potential step where the card could get damaged...not sure if they selected a few customers as a beta test or if everyone is now seeing this "first view" image process step...

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 7:18PM

I have the "First View" images on all 58 cards of my submission. The border of some of the images are the edge of the card so it appears the card is out of the penny sleeve and card saver but other images are not as close up to the card and clearly show the card is still in both the penny sleeve and card saver. I think it's quite possible the card is still in it's protective sleeves in the closer photos.

Not sure I understand why the disparity in image styles.

These are examples of both image types from my submission...

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I was reading the PSA magazine online 10 minutes ago and saw they are adding this to all cards for free.

I know many people take raw pics themselves so this will either save people time or give people more comfort who will do it regardless.

Compliments of PSA!

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    I was reading the PSA magazine online 10 minutes ago and saw they are adding this to all cards for free.

I know many people take raw pics themselves so this will either save people time or give people more comfort who will do it regardless.

Compliments of PSA!

That's great. I hadn't seen that.

That will help their Quality Control.

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    I have the "First View" images on all 58 cards of my submission. The border of some of the images are the edge of the card so it appears the card is out of the penny sleeve and card saver but other images are not as close up to the card and clearly show the card is still in both the penny sleeve and card saver. I think it's quite possible the card is still in it's protective sleeves in the closer photos.

Not sure I understand why the disparity in image styles.

These are two examples from my submission...

My submission has both image styles as well with the cardsaver images not fully visible....

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Guessing it's the roll-out of a new process which will get refined.

Do you happen to have a Bo Jackson white Highlights? I submitted 20 mint centered future stars a couple days ago. Huge Bo fan although I'm about to get rid of 95% of them and try to nail down a collection I started in 1994.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 7:56PM

"so you can review for correct labels and report any errors."

No one is going to be using them for that!! Now the issue is you won't be able to see them once your order is complete as the button changes to "Cert Image"

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:

Do you happen to have a Bo Jackson white Highlights?

Man, I don't but I wish I did.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

No one is going to be using them for that!! Now the issue is you won't be able to see them once your order is complete as the button changes to "Cert Image"

My guess is it also helps with liability issues. I’m sure at least some of the card damage issues occur during shipping to and prior to the cards arrival at PSA. So if you have a scan from your home and PSA has one from arrival, we now have a comparison point before the card is ever ‘handled’ by anyone at PSA.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@RufussCkingston said:

My guess is it also helps with liability issues. I’m sure at least some of the card damage issues occur during shipping to and prior to the cards arrival at PSA. So if you have a scan from your home and PSA has one from arrival, we now have a comparison point before the card is ever ‘handled’ by anyone at PSA.

Which is why to use Card Savers rather than holders which might let the card move around during shipment, but I digress.

• Options

didn't know about this feature until stumbling on this thread, I looked at the pics in my last order and man those are some horrible photos, I hope they are not pulling the cards out to take those bad pics. I guess the goal is a generic baseline for obvious damage but anything beyond that I am not sure the purpose

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:
    didn't know about this feature until stumbling on this thread, I looked at the pics in my last order and man those are some horrible photos, I hope they are not pulling the cards out to take those bad pics. I guess the goal is a generic baseline for obvious damage but anything beyond that I am not sure the purpose

yeah seems like alot of extra labor for any benefits to PSA...maybe it is just a trial on some orders...