Home U.S. Coin Forum

New 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent - S-109, very sharp obverse!

OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

1796 Large Cents are like potato chips. You can't have just one.

This is an S-109, one of the more common varieties of the date. This variety also often comes with a weak reverse, especially so on this piece because the concavo-convex planchet caused the reverse to wear especially quickly compared to the obverse. This is the sharpest obverse of any DBLC in my collection and the sharpest date out of my 1796s.

Currently up to 5 Sheldon varieties of this date. 34 to go!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Comments

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a nice S-103 LIHERTY...very rare...on Ebay for bid...no bids yet at $289. I always thought this was a cool variety.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

** Currently up to 5 Sheldon varieties of this date. 34 to go!**

You are a glutton for punishment! It’s hard enough just to find one decent ‘96 db cent for type without spending a small fortune.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my poor 96. S-109 I believe.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays ... That is a very nice 1796 coin.... Still great detail. Cheers, RickO

Currently at our host for grading, hopefully getting a straight grade. Even in this lowly condition, it was not cheap.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Fun fact - there are far more 1877 Indian cents graded in MS, than ALL graded 1796 db cents combined.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys, I posted my Liberty Cap 96, here's my even poorer Draped Bust 96.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2023 8:10PM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Fun fact - there are far more 1877 Indian cents graded in MS, than ALL graded 1796 db cents combined.

Part of this is just EAC anti-slabbers not sending their coins in. But yeah, 1796 busts are not common coins at all and especially not in any grade most collectors would call nice.

I would think there are about 2000 known in all varieties and all grades including non-straight grades. Everyone who collects EAC by Sheldon variety is technically hoarding them.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

** Everyone who collects EAC by Sheldon variety is technically hoarding them.**

When Steve Ellsworth sold off his, it nearly flooded the market Lol. I don’t know if he had all the 1796 Sheldon varieties, but he certainly had most. And if it was like the rest of his collection/hoard, there were duplicates and triplicates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file