Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will it Cross? NGC 1894-O Morgan

2»

Comments

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

Based on pics after blowing them up if it was mine I would be almost positive it is not UNC but I have seen coins in both PCGS and NGC graded UNC that were not UNC especially MS 60 and 61. I would think your best value would be leave it as it is. But then I am not a grader thats just an opinion.
    AL

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said: "None of those other 3 morgans you cropped and shared has what I call "dead cheek" where the cheek shows up black in pics rather than white. It's indicative of great disruption of metal flow there, AKA a cleaning."

Maybe, though I still think that based on the first image from the OP (i.e., before I mucked with it and messed up the resolution) , the coin has a plausible chance of crossing as MS. In any case, as @ProofCollection has said, there are exactly four possible results (ignoring + grades) . As he said early on, he hoped to generate some interesting discussion, and I think he did. I'm looking forward to hearing the result.

By the way, regarding my four coin collage: if I had these four coins in NGC MS holders, posted the collage, and said I had just submitted the four coins for crossover, I'd get some pretty discouraging feedback. I'm guessing that more would predict 0/4 than might predict 3/4 or better.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 6:57PM

@Higashiyama I agree. I also don't think people give enough credit to the poor quality of pictures that most forum members, including myself, take. In my case I'm using a scanner or photographing under sub-ideal lighting conditions through a scratched slab holder which I think is always going to make the coin look worse, not better. Sorry, but it's the best I can do although it has inspired me to invest some effort into a proper photography setup.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada based on the pic.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    Picked up this coin recently and I will be submitting it for crossover at the Money Show this weekend. I will specify any grade MS60 or better.
    @Cougar1978 said:
    From CDN - I see your piece sold on Heratige 02/19/23 for $1860.

Given how competitive Heritage Auctions are these days and a PCGS MS61 value of $2850, I would guess other bidders viewed this as a MS60 coin (PCGS value $1600) and there was strong bidding based that grade. If the coin comes back as a PCGS MS60 and you put it up for auction, bidders may view it as an AU 58. Grades MS60 - MS62 are not popular grades. Now here's the scary part. A CAC AU58 price guide's at $1,100.

As you can guess, I'm not a fan of the crackout game.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@ProofCollection said:
    Picked up this coin recently and I will be submitting it for crossover at the Money Show this weekend. I will specify any grade MS60 or better.
    @Cougar1978 said:
    From CDN - I see your piece sold on Heratige 02/19/23 for $1860.

Given how competitive Heritage Auctions are these days and a PCGS MS61 value of $2850, I would guess other bidders viewed this as a MS60 coin (PCGS value $1600) and there was strong bidding based that grade. If the coin comes back as a PCGS MS60 and you put it up for auction, bidders may view it as an AU 58. Grades MS60 - MS62 are not popular grades. Now here's the scary part. A CAC AU58 price guide's at $1,100.

As you can guess, I'm not a fan of the crackout game.

Wow, if you take a gamble and make a mistake here in these grades, & not a big one - only 1 -2 steps down, you take a big loss, ~ 50%. Glad I'm happy with my low, inexpensive AU and play in the kiddy pool.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why you don't play the crackout game unless you really know your stuff.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but I don't think PCGS would cross this coin at MS and it might even BB due to the scratches above the date.

I'd sell this coin and take the loss as tuition in coin education.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file