Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Year Summary of Building a Registry Set from Scratch. George V Shillings 1911-1936 (updated 11/14)

ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 14, 2023 7:10AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Alright so I decided to do a little review of one of my sets. What's the special occasion you ask? Is it complete? nope. It's been 1 year since I started it! Set start date was March 25th, 2022. So, I thought I would illustrate how building this kind of set went and what the result of a year is. I am a little early, but I will be on vacation during that time, and I don't foresee much changing between now and then.

George V Shillings Circulation Strikes 1911 - 1936
26 Coins
3 Metal compositions
2 Types
&
26 squished lion faces

We will cover the pieces and their journey to me, and I will discuss the cost of the set but not the cost of each coin individually.

1911 - PCGS MS65+ (7 coins graded higher, 6 in 66 and 1 in 66+)

Common year as far as the set goes.
Number of coins purchased 2.
First coin was raw, and I sent to PCGS to grade. Graded MS65+. While it was in purgatory at PCGS I picked up a PCGS MS64 which came to me in a "lot" of two coins being auctioned. I quickly sold it and had no intention to keep it.
Do I plan to upgrade? No plans to, it checks all the boxes for me.

1912 - PCGS MS65 (5 coins graded higher, 1 in 65+, 3 in 66 and 1 in 66+)

Common year again.
Number of coins purchased 1.
Bought in an NGC MS66 Ex Mildenhall holder. This collection was previously sold by CNG cheap as chips. Wish I was paying attention.
Do I plan to upgrade? Potentially if one with more eye appeal shows up.

1913 - PCGS MS64 (8 graded higher all MS65)

"Key date" though in reality it doesn't feel correct. You'll see other examples tougher in high grade.
This example came to me in an NGC MS63 holder. I thought it was fairly graded as such but still managed to go up a point. I bought a second raw from a place in Australia. Managed to have to pay import fees oof. Think the raw example is a 64 and nicer than the other.
Do I plan to upgrade? Hopefully I just swap it for my raw example when it grades because I think it's lovely. If a 65 comes along one day maybe.

1914 - PCGS MS66 (tied for finest with 1 other.

Common year.
This example I bought raw out of the UK and sent to PCGS. Graded well. During my wait time I did buy a second briefly. An NGC MS63 with some nice toning in a slightly older holder. I was curious on the off chance if it was under graded because I do prefer toned to blast white, but it wasn't, and I sold it shortly after.
Do I plan to upgrade? It would have to have some insane eye appeal in a 65 holder. Unlikely.

1915 - PCGS MS65 (3 higher all MS66)

Common year.
This example I bought raw from a seller in Canada off some shady scans. Coin blew me away on arrival. Thought it was a lock 66 but not going to worry about it. Tons of eye appeal. The other example I bought raw and graded MS64 then sold it. That one was more for the price point than at having a chance in my set.
Do I plan to upgrade? No, checks all the boxes for me.

1916 - PCGS MS64 (9 higher, 5 in 65, 3 in 66, and 1 in 66+)

Common year.
This example I bought raw in the UK. It has lovely toning but somewhat rough friction on the surfaces and a scratch to boot. Will plan to upgrade. The very first one I purchase I graded MS65 at PCGS but sold it before this "set" officially started.
Do I plan to upgrade? Yes, this is a plentiful date and should be able to at least get a gem example. Hopefully something nicely toned.

1917 - PCGS MS64 (6 graded higher, 5 in 65 and 1 in 65+)

Common year. (let's be honest this set has no real stoppers, only if you want a full lion's face. GLHF)
This example I bought raw and graded as expected. The one other I purchased was in a NGC fatty graded MS63. It's nicely toned but I am not messing with the fatty. Will be sold as is.
Do I plan to upgrade? Yes, I think I should keep a lookout for Gem, or something nicely toned in a comparable grade.

1918 - None at the moment (Goal is MS65)

Common year.
I bought and graded one example that was in a MS64 ICCS holder. I probably could've kept it buy decided I should try for better considering how common this date is.
Do I plan to upgrade? there's no coin here, of course I need to upgrade!

1919 - PCGS MS65 (2 Graded higher, 1 in 65+ and 1 in 66)

Common year.
I bought and graded this example raw. I believe the original flip said "AU" on it. Part of a group of coins off eBay I got the 1917 in as well. The other coin is maybe a raw MS63 I got off eBay in the UK. Will be sold raw.
Do I plan to upgrade? No plan to. Again, given an especially attractive toner I would consider.

1920 - None (Goal is MS64)

Tough year.
Number of coins purchased 4.
First coin I returned and was purchased from a scan. Difficult to read grade from photos but it was like a cleaned and re-toned AU. Next raw example I bought graded MS62 as expected. This year is the first year these coins were struck in 50% silver and included a small amount of nickel unlike later years. They come horrifically struck with very flat faces. My purchase was motivated by buying a lion with a better looking snout but the coin itself wasn't particularly impressive and I chose to sell it. I generally try and sell examples rather than keep hole fillers to help avoid future "hole filler purchases". I have recently purchased two raw examples one I grade 62 and the other 63 so the search continues.
Do I plan to upgrade? Sigh.... yeah, I need something. Might take a while and I'm pretty impatient. Haha.

1921 - None (Goal is MS64)

Tough year.
Sadly, both coins I purchased trying to fill this hole I returned. Normally I try and just suck it up and get rid of the coin myself rather than getting blocked from a seller but was especially disappointed each time. I included some money in return to cover their shipping costs.
Do I plan to upgrade? Yeaaahhhp. Need one.

1922 - PCGS MS64 (2 Graded higher, both 65s)

Tough year.
This one I found in a 4-coin lot and managed to salvage and remove some nasty looking green growth. I unfortunately lost any of the originality in the process, but I still think it's a very attractive example for what's available that year.
Do I plan to upgrade? Nope. Same rules are usual apply as usual I would upgrade to a nice toner.

1923 - PCGS MS64+ (Tied with 1 other for top pop)

Not sure how difficult this year is but if it's a tougher year I just got lucky.
I bought this from an UK dealer out of a CGS 85 holder.
Do I plan to upgrade? Nope.

1924 - Raw example Est MS64

Very difficult year.
The first coin was one of my few returns. Seller blocked me which I suppose is fair. Second coin I was very pleased with but took a long time to find. I've viewed a lot of "BU" examples I wouldn't consider worthy of even a 62 holder. Going off just mintage it should be an easier fill, but more than mintage decides a coin's availability.

1925 - PCGS MS64

Difficult year.
I bought this from some scans off a UK dealers' website. It graded as expected from my in-hand estimate.

1926 - PCGS MS65 (top pop tied with 2 others)

Common year.
Number of coins purchased 3.
The first coin I purchased was potentially my worst purchase for the whole set. I was impatient and someone had an overpriced ugly example on eBay in a MS64 holder and I decided to buy it. Crack it. Sub it into a MS62 holder. Sell for pennies. The second coin I bought was a nice example that graded 64 but while in grading I found an example out of the UK. It just a few days ago came back graded MS65 and is the example seen here.

1927 - MS65+ (2 higher both 66)

Common year.
This is the coin I was chasing in a lot with the 1911 in 64 I mentioned earlier. I paid WAYY too much for it but it is a lovely coin. I've a second example raw I bought to take a look at I thought might be a shot 6. It's probably closer to a 65 with some dull luster, probably grade it and sell. I'll stick to my 65+.
Do I plan to upgrade? Nope

Worth noting that this year there's 2 types and I believe at some point I will like one of both but not in a rush.

1928 - MS66 (top pop tied with 2 others)

Common year.
Number of coins bought 3.
One of the raw examples ended up AU and passed it on. The other graded a motley MS64 but was in the same sub as this MS66 I bought raw from a seller in the UK. I figured it was a shot 5 and felt the 6 was a bit of a gift but not going to complain too much. The luster is really exceptional.

1929 - MS65 (1 higher in MS65+)

Common year.
Number of coins bought 1.
I actually owned this coin long before starting this set and sold it. I always suspected it was a 65 but struggled to find another in Gem and went back to the person I sold it to inquiring about it. They actually lost track of it but later found it and sold it back to me.

1930 - MS65 (Top pop tied with 4 others)

Key date.
This was an odd coin when I got it in hand. the strike is a bit weak and makes for a strange flatness to it. Happy to have a high grade straight off for this one.

1931 - MS65 (1 higher in 66)

Common year.
This was let's say the start of the set. A lovely, toned example I purchased from Pillars&Portraits. Very difficult to find these toned at all much less as nice as this on 50% silver.

1932 - None

Common year.
I've actually ended up with a MS63 and two MS64s of this date, but I am determined I should be able to find a gem example.
Do I plan to upgrade? yeahp need a MS65.

1933 - MS65 (2 higher both in 66)

Common year.
First, I bought a MS64 in an NGC fatty that was a bit dull for my liking then I bought a raw example I thought was a 64 and sent it in for grading. While it was grading, I found an already graded example being graded by ThreadGold another gentleman who collects these. I bought it and then low and behold the one I sent in for grading went MS65.

1934 - MS64 (top pop tied with 2 others)

Key Date.
Number of coins bought 2.
So the example I have in my set was an NGC MS65 ex Mildenhall collection and was the top pop at NGC. I crossed it to PCGS MS64. Meanwhile I found a raw example I bought and graded thinking I might as well to sell it guessing it was a MS63 and it graded MS64. So now it's tied though I think the other is much nicer.
Do I plan to upgrade? No I suspect there will be gem examples graded at some point but will take something special to unseat my current.

1935 - Raw example est MS64

Common year.
Early on I passed on an NGC MS65 example of this year noting that it was fairly common in UNC, but I have spent all this time looking for another in GEM and struggled.
Do I plan to upgrade? Yes, I believe I should be able to find at least a 65.

1936 - MS65 (1 higher in 66)

Common year. Maybe the most common of this type?
Number of coins bought 2.
I bought an already graded MS64 from boardwalk numismatics that had lovely toning on it. However, there were a few heavy hits holding it back and ultimately, I decided to let it go for a lovely NGC MS65 I found. I cracked, subbed, and it came back MS65 as expected.

So, with that overview taken care of let's look at some more numbers.

Cost of active Inventory

$3,643

Average cost per coin = $151.80

Amount paid for duplicates.

$1,859

Average cost per coin = $97.84

Amount spent to-date on the set.

$5,502

Amount spent on grading fees.

$1,025

Note: I do calculate my grading fees into my coins cost so this isn't in addition to the figures above.

And for those interested here's a poorly organized album of coins that briefly passed through my collection as I worked on this set.

https://imgur.com/a/KAxwnJ6

Some of you might not be interested in this sort of thing. Chasing and grading lower value coins but it's my hobby. I have enjoyed it immensely and find the whole process rewarding. I don't feel my money has been wasted because just as in any hobby as long as it's spent enjoying yourself and you can afford it, I think it was a worthwhile investment.

Hope those that were able to slog through all of that have enjoyed it.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set and happy to have contributed even if it came from my pseudonym

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Great set and happy to have contributed even if it came from my pseudonym

Sorry man totally blanked! haha. Pillars&Portraits aka @Boosibri which is harder to remember how to spell.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coins

Your having fun ….congratulations

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2023 5:05AM

That was a fun journey to share. The buying and selling was interesting as was the comments about common and raw dates. It’s interesting that sellers block you for returning items. Is that because it’s an auction or do retail sellers do it? You certainly have a wonderful collection.

My adventures with obtaining at least one coin for each British king and queen, from Alfred the Great forward, have been somewhat similar. Most coins have been raw, and no registry is possible because I have collected a variety of denominations. My “registry” is my history notebook which is an ongoing project. I posted an early version of it here a few years ago.

I reached a major signpost in the journey yesterday when I won the last to kings on my list in an auction, Edmund the Great and one of his sons, Eadwig.

Now it will be an occasional upgrade and some coins that strike my fancy. For example, I’ve collected examples of the many faces of Queen Victoria. She changed her appearance on her coins more than any other monarch. If you take it from the young head to the old head, you would not know that it is the same woman.

I wish I had some of the contacts you do for selling pieces that no longer fit in with the collection.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ParadisaeaParadisaea Posts: 28 ✭✭

An enjoyable read, complimented by nice coins!

In truth, I’ve found chasing good examples of lower value (i.e., < $300) coins to be more challenging (and, at times, more rewarding) than those of higher value in the areas I collect. It seems you’ve experienced similar.

The efficiency with which you’ve dealt with duplicates is particularly inspiring - I tend to set coins aside ‘for sale’ only to have them languish on the sidelines of my collection for years. I would also be keen to hear more about the experience of selling your duplicates and any ‘lessons learned’ in doing so.

Congratulations on assembling a nice set of coins. Looks to have been a good bit of fun, and I look forward to watching how the set progresses beyond the 1-year anniversary.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool set!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Great set, I've enjoyed reading and seeing the results of your coins in the registry. It's great to see that these high quality coins can still be found and slabbed.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    That was a fun journey to share. The buying and selling was interesting as was the comments about common and raw dates. It’s interesting that sellers block you for returning items. Is that because it’s an auction or do retail sellers do it? You certainly have a wonderful collection.

So, it's pretty standard for dealers who sell on ebay to block buyers that return things. The dealers even have lists for others to use of problem buyers. The policies for payment changed not too long ago and returning an Item means the seller loses the fees they were charged by paypal when selling it. I imagine this is mostly with cheaper items as buyers of these items can be the most problematic and demanding. This is why I will often just eat the cost if I can help it. Though sometimes that is just not in the cards for me.

I wish I had some of the contacts you do for selling pieces that no longer fit in with the collection.

I use mainly eBay and a few friends of mine have bought pieces I've sold.

@Paradisaea said:
    An enjoyable read, complimented by nice coins!

The efficiency with which you’ve dealt with duplicates is particularly inspiring - I tend to set coins aside ‘for sale’ only to have them languish on the sidelines of my collection for years. I would also be keen to hear more about the experience of selling your duplicates and any ‘lessons learned’ in doing so.

I have to imagine my coin budget is a bit tighter than most so duplicates get sold very quickly. As for lessons learned. I think in this set in particular that lesson would be there's little money in anything graded MS63 or less. I've taken a loss selling 5 coins. All of which matched that criterion. One of the benefits I have is that I have a bit of an understudy.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/british-silver/british-shillings/british-george-v-shillings-date-set-circulation-strikes-1911-1936/alltimeset/318809

He had quite a few coins that were in my set I have since upgraded. Including a few I wonder if I shouldn't have sold haha. 9 of those coins in his set are Ex-Clio lol.

@deepblue30 said:
    Great set, I've enjoyed reading and seeing the results of your coins in the registry. It's great to see that these high quality coins can still be found and slabbed.

Thanks! You've bought at least one coin from me as well. :)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Are there any varieties in this set? PCGS seems to have just one coin per year.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great presentation... terrific coins. I this this really illustrates how the registry can educate as well as show what is possible.

Terrific set- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think this set would be a lot easier to finish if you lived in England? Or is it tought to find coins in general?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Thanks for sharing your journey!

Are there any varieties in this set? PCGS seems to have just one coin per year.

There are varieties but it really seems that PCGS doesn't recognize them. A few major ones could give me room to expand but I suspect it will be close to the 26 when I am all said and done. Though I suspect the set will never quite be done.

@coinkat said:
    Great presentation... terrific coins. I this this really illustrates how the registry can educate as well as show what is possible.

Terrific set- congrats

Thanks! I'm always curious about these sorts of insights so I try and share what I hope others would share of their own experiences.

@neildrobertson said:
    Do you think this set would be a lot easier to finish if you lived in England? Or is it tought to find coins in general?

Most of my purchases have come from England. I suspect there would be some aspect of buying IRL that I am missing by assembling it here but I really don't know. I was in England in June and visited a shop asking after these and the shop owner informed me that he probably had some at home but no one cared about them so he doesn't bring them into the shop.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

kudos! Extremely well done. you deserve a prize, I guess its all the praise from your peers.
    congrats. Your a very good Numismatist.

• Options

@krueger said:
    kudos! Extremely well done. you deserve a prize, I guess its all the praise from your peers.
    congrats. Your a very good Numismatist.

Thanks very much! It's rewarding enough building it and hearing people's feedback.

• Options

Today I am mailing off the latest installment of the set. It'll be a few months before I get grades but I wanted to share some images here in the meantime.

I am very pleased with these examples I've sourced and think it will set me up well to only have 2 holes left to fill. 1920 and 1918.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go, Clio.
    Nice set!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@Yorkshireman said:
    Way to go, Clio.
    Nice set!

thanks! I got that 1921 at the show! was in a binder graded as XF.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Slightly off track but not by much.

• Options

But here’s a few more, the worst is the slabbed at “65”:

• Options

• Options

I've yet to find a nice 1920 just yet. Think I'm pretty well sorted on most of the others

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gret work and more importantly it seems that you have had a blast doing it

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Gret work and more importantly it seems that you have had a blast doing it

Thanks! an absolutely. It's been a lot of fun. I am sure I will be sad when I can no longer source upgrades as cheaply haha. I was looking at auctions recently and am convinced I have move the market on them with my spending lmao.

• Options

This is another bump on this thread to just say this set has been completed and is at the #1 spot on the registry. Lots of coins I'd like to improve in the future but here's the details.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/british-silver/british-shillings/british-george-v-shillings-date-set-circulation-strikes-1911-1936/1330

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Congrats!!!!!

• Options

I like the first coin very much. 1911 - PCGS MS65+ (7 coins graded higher, 6 in 66 and 1 in 66+)

• Options

I think you did great. you get 26 coin set in a year. that's very good. I am just started a set with 36 coins. I just got 11 coins. I am not sure I can get the whole set in a year.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 6:42AM

@jt88 said:
    I think you did great. you get 26 coin set in a year. that's very good. I am just started a set with 36 coins. I just got 11 coins. I am not sure I can get the whole set in a year.

I certainly didn't intend for it to be a race but there's a drive you start feeling when you get close to done. 19/26 of the coins I submitted raw. 4/26 were NGC cross to PCGS. 3 of them I bought already graded in PCGS holders.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 5:58PM

Nice job to be sure. I thought about doing the proofs but lack the 1929 & that won't be around for a minute. The 1920 duck- tailed might be unique with the 1924 satin specimen only 2 minted.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Nice job to be sure. I thought about doing the proofs but lack the 1929 & that won't be around for a minute. The 1920 duck- tailed might be unique with the 1924 satin specimen only 2 minted.

Would be an incredibly impressive set and surely one that couldn't be done again. I've seen a few proofs but for my budget they just aren't in consideration.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/king-george-v/George-V-Nickel-Trial-Shilling-1924/