Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1979 Kennedy Half that weighs 10.3 grams

I do a lot of coin roll hunting and came across a 1979 clad Kennedy Half dollar that sounds almost like a silver half and only weighs 10.3 grams instead of 11.25. It is not damaged or a magician coin, looks fairly nice and rim looks normal. Anyone have any info on why it would be so light? Wrong stock maybe? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    I do a lot of coin roll hunting and came across a 1979 clad Kennedy Half dollar that sounds almost like a silver half and only weighs 10.3 grams instead of 11.25. It is not damaged or a magician coin, looks fairly nice and rim looks normal. Anyone have any info on why it would be so light? Wrong stock maybe? Thanks

Images might help, whereas the lack of them makes it nearly impossible to provide any help.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Here are some pics.

• Options

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure about that weight? My first thought before you posted the pictures was of a half dollar struck on a blank punched from quarter dollar stock, but this seems normally struck. I would expect it to be weak in some areas.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Positive on the weight. I do a lot of half dollars and have a good scale. Weighed a bunch of coins before and after multiple times. I agree that the coin looks normal. Size, thickness, strike. I know quarter stock Halves are thinner as I have seen some of those. An I have had a lot of modified magician coins and can't see any signs of machining.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2023 5:31PM

Does the coin show normal alignment of the obverse and reverse with no rotation?

I think it’s probably just punched from strip rolled too thin.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance your digital scale is not in calibration?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

No die rotation at all. Scale has been calibrated. I have weights of different sizes for testing. 1 gram, 5 gram, fractional etc.

• Options

I read a previous coin collectors submission of finding many of these, especially from 1979. No one seemed to have an answer. The thread was from 2015.

• Options

I think you have a genuine thin planchet, the planchet strip was rolled too thin on the rolling mill.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

What would an SBA stock planchet weigh?

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

@Aegis3 said:
    What would an SBA stock planchet weigh?

Will do the math tomorrow.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I calculated 10.54 grams for a Kennedy planchet rolled to SBA thickness

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a rolled thin planchet. Semi-common in my experience.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... with a one gram difference, apparent wear does not seem to be the issue... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SHAWNK4368SHAWNK4368 Posts: 45 ✭✭

Appreciate all the input.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭

According to the mints website, a Kennedy should be 2.15mm thick. DO you have any way to measure the thickness?

imageimage

• Options
    edited March 1, 2023 4:10PM

I calculate the expected weight of a Kennedy half on SBA stock to be 10.807 grams.

Edited to add: I would say punched from randomly rolled thin planchet stock.

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file