Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914-D Lincoln Cent - What's going on here!?

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amateur crud removal attempt

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Must be that the blank (then after upsetting the planchet) had an air bubble that burst or something got into the copper. Looks like the strike happened after the mint made damage. Curious what others have to say..

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Amateur crud removal attempt

^this^

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Should not have received a straight grade imo.

That's why I'm baffled by this one.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen similar discoloration or staining on early coppers that were straight-graded. Have wondered what the rationale was or is.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a planchet flaw from improper mix in the metal.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean besides the rotated reverse?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a purchase I would want

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin would be a hard pass.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has some serious problems on the reverse. I'm guessing that slab may have been opened and this inferior coin was substituted for a nicer coin that was originally in that slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Improper alloy mix AND lamination flaw AND graders looked around that mess. IMO

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen what copper coins look like when you use ammonia (or similar caustic chemical agents) to remove a corrosion spot. They look like this. Moonscape cratering, with an overall pinkish-orange colour. Looks like they just placed a couple of drops of chemical onto the coin at the corrosion spots, rather than soaking the entire coin, otherwise the whole coin would have turned orange.

I have difficulty believing NGC straight-graded it with this obvious problem.

I will note that there seems to be enough die rotation to qualify as such. Unless the coin somehow got rotated inside the slab in between those two pictures.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad it has that reverse. The coin itself looks good. It's a nice, mid-grade key.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to accurately determine exactly what the issue is from those picture. Looks like surface damage around the C, but cannot really see enough detail. Certainly appears to have had some chemical applied to the reverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2023 10:41AM

It’s simply a circulated coin. Average Quality (C coin). The dark rev area probably acquired during circulation. Agree with their straight grade. For me would fill the hole in set OK but would be open to upgrade at some point.

NGC MV $260, pop 1250 / 2699 higher.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    That coin has some serious problems on the reverse. I'm guessing that slab may have been opened and this inferior coin was substituted for a nicer coin that was originally in that slab.

Surprisingly it shows this very coin on the cert page! :#

• Options

I just checked, it does indeed have a slightly rotated reverse.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Key dates get all the breaks,
    but this one didn't have what it takes.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Curious when that would have happened- looks like the same coin from the current NGC cert:

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprisingly not "details"?. So that crap on the reverse was from the strike? Hmmmmmmmmm

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any kind of lamination/delamination?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not improperly cleaned, that coin looks like it should be designated with Environmental Damage.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

This is the best that I can do with my phone, but I’m seeing environmental damage all the way AND cleaning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file