Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Technology?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local bank just installed a new coin counter. Seems efficient enough, no longer waiting for a little conveyer belt- you just slowly push the coins into the hopper. It's a CDS-9L model with an interesting twist....
Reading the attached instructions, it states a couple interesting points...
"Machine will not take wheat pennies most of the time" and "Will not take most silver coin"
Hmmmm, very interesting...is this a weight differential? How accurate can they get?

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find where those machines are being used..... Then check several times a day. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Hmmmm, very interesting...is this a weight differential? How accurate can they get?

Very accurate and yes it is the weight differential, same thing with a vending machine unless it is an antique. The coin mechs inside a vending machine are tuned to the weight of a clad coin so silver will 99% of the time just fall through the mech.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

tuned to the weight of a clad coin so silver will 99% of the time just fall through the mech.

Wow! The next gen coin counters will be so precise, they'll be able to separate the coins by mint marks!!

Seriously though, that's very interesting. What is the weight difference of a wheat cent and a shield cent? And the difference between a silver quarter and a clad one? I need to break out my little scale....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the vig? Are there gift card ways to avoid the vig?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Seriously though, that's very interesting. What is the weight difference of a wheat cent and a shield cent? And the difference between a silver quarter and a clad one? I need to break out my little scale....

>

The cents I know by heart, 3.11grams for the copper cents (wheat or memorial), 2.5 grams for zinc core cents. 6.25 for silver Qtr, and 5.67 for clad.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

@Onastone said:

>

The cents I know by heart, 3.11grams for the copper cents (wheat or memorial), 2.5 grams for zinc core cents. 6.25 for silver Qtr, and 5.67 for clad.

So it is substantial enough!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    What's the vig? Are there gift card ways to avoid the vig?

8% charge if you don't have an account with the bank.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out hosts have a Coin Facts app for your cell phone which has all these facts and thousands more.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Find where those machines are being used..... Then check several times a day. ;) Cheers, RickO

heck, will camp right outside the machine it thats what it takes >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file