Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - Submission Advice for NGC 1921-D Morgan PL - Restoration?

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2023 12:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This MS NGC 1921-D PL Morgan I just picked I'm planning to submit this to PCGS this weekend at the Money show. I believe I agree with the NGC-assigned grade but I never seem to know how PCGS might net out the grade differently, maybe take extra point(s) off because of the spots on the reverse or the significant abrasion on the forehead. The strike seems really strong at least on the obverse. PL and DMPL examples of 1921-D are SUPER hard to find. PCGS Pop report shows 45 in PL and only 1 DMPL. The mirrors on this one are strong. If it was raw I'd say it had a shot at DMPL but I know that if NGC wouldn't go DPL, PCGS isn't going to give it DMPL.

For advice and for fun, I'm curious what you all think:
1. What is the current NGC grade?
2. What grade will it cross at?
3. Should I have them do any restoration? I don't think the spots on the reverse can be improved, but I do wonder if the fields and what looks like finger prints can be removed?

(The darkness at the top of the reverse is just shadow.)

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

1= 64PL
    2= 64PL
    3= Yes it may improve a bit.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone alive in 1921 put their thumb on that coin. Wow.

Yes, restoration should remove the brown spots off the eagle. I don’t think the fingerprints can be removed, but they can try.

MS-62

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Everyone alive in 1921 put their thumb on that coin. Wow.

Yes, restoration should remove the brown spots off the eagle. I don’t think the fingerprints can be removed, but they can try.

MS-62

Very nice coin, easy PL and think it would go minimum 63 because of fingerprints and spots, otherwise 64-65. Guess the minter was so impressed with the mirrors that he held it up to admire as he rotated the coin around in his hand.

How does PCGS get those black spots off? I have a few Morgans with them also on the wings and some times on a corner of a letter, almost looks like the silver was burnt.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 63 to me.... It may be better if submitted for restoration, though I believe the fingerprints may be permanent. Acidic oils from fingerprints quickly etch mirror surfaces of coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess 63.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you'd have much luck as a crossover with PCGS; better to run through NGC conservation. I had a DPL certified by NGC get downgraded to a PL. I sent it in for conservation, got yukky in the holder. The guarantee guy I talked with at NGC said the standards have gotten tighter on these.

• Options

Your responses prompted me to do some research on the finger prints. From what I have seen, these cannot be removed with a restoration process. With that in mind I think I will skip restoration, unless someone has different info.

@logger7 said:
    I don't think you'd have much luck as a crossover with PCGS; better to run through NGC conservation. I had a DPL certified by NGC get downgraded to a PL. I sent it in for conservation, got yukky in the holder. The guarantee guy I talked with at NGC said the standards have gotten tighter on these.

Sorry if I was unclear. It is already NGC PL. The risk is that PCGS would lose the PL designation. The mirrors are strong enough I don't think that is a risk, but I will specify to maintain the PL designation on the crossover from NGC to PCGS.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it graded currently?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sincere good luck getting PCGS to cross any 1921-P, D or S in PL or DMPL.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is- I suspect my view will be unpopular but there are no mulligans with restoration

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    What is it graded currently?

DRUMROLL.......................................
    It's currently NGC MS63PL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file