Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I never knew the SECOND card graded by PSA was also (half) a Honus.

I also didn’t know until I read this today!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this thread was going to be about my Michigan State Spartans winning by 11 with 1:37 left in the game, scoring 11 more points in that final 1:37, and still losing the game.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how much the other half would go for??? Crazy.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2023 9:22PM

To be honest the graded part is over half! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 There are some really rich, really stupid people in the hobby. I’m betting the sale never gets completed.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Well said, mrmopar. Hype is crazy.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    People want what is popular and will fight over it if there is limited supply. There are much rarer cards worth way less. I agree, it's ridiculous. I can see the enraged people now, but I think the 52T Mantle falls right into this category too. Masses, blindly lead to purchase the card because it is "the card to own", people are dumping $4-5 figures into tattered scraps of that card too. WHY? Because the media has told you it's the card to own, so now we must follow. Will never own either of those cards and am quite satisfied with this fact.

Why, you ask? You can't have been a collector since 1978 and not know why. Could be anywhere from sentimental reasons to investment speculation. Isn't a Van Gogh or Picasso just some paint on a canvas? Why is the value so high? The media? It's only worth what someone will pay it. Few can afford one, so one might settle on a sketch or even a piece of a sketch.
    And including a '52 Mantle as a comparison is a bad example. It represents a time and place and has meaning on so many levels to many people, in or outside the hobby.

Your tag line says you "collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers, and signed cards." Why? My guess is, those things have meaning and some intrinsic value to you. Another person might say, why collect a piece of cardboard of a guy who sometimes hits a ball with a stick, and be very satisfied never owning what you collect.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

His point was that many collectors are influenced by other collectors (via social media or forums like this). I have seen several guys here talk about selling the majority of their collections to buy a low grade Mantle rookie. If that is really what they want in their heart of hearts, fine, but I can also see regretting a decision like that over time.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

When it comes out this was the card Moser practiced on, the price will double.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible corners and creases I could deal with, but this is LOL I wouldn’t pay a penny. Seriously. But to each their own I guess.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320

Sometimes when working on a set as a collector, you just take what you can get to move closer to completing it and you can’t always afford to be picky if the card is very rare and/or very expensive.

On a much (much, much) smaller scale than that half million Honus, I work a pretty rare set and on two of the best cards from the set - Joe DiMaggio and Lou Gehrig - my examples are missing little chunks. Honestly? I’m still proud to own them:

…I even slabbed em!

Just some thoughts from a different perspective…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Wow….

Thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:
    Wow….

Thanks for sharing.

That’s why we’re here, right?

It’s a beautiful set and the album is a pretty gorgeous artifact itself…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you have the money, there is no wrong way to collect

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.