Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876-cc seated liberty quarter..Have you ever heard of a pimpled obverse?

0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2023 11:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Another from my fathers estate...
Is it even real?

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I am no expert, but the spots on the coin are usually attributed to rusted dies. Gook luck.

Rusted dies was my first thought, as well. Coincidentally, I’ve seen quite a few 1876-CC dimes with that feature.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some examples of rusted die coins.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pop pimples

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good ol' die rust. Carson City was a remote Mint location in 1876 and they were cranking out as many coins as they could that year.

Early New Orleans issues could get some seriously bad die rust. The hot and humid climate there definitely didn't help. Here's a particularly severe example:

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that issue has a die pairing with rusted dies.

Caveat; I'm still not sure yours is legit and really would wanna see it in hand.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like rusted dies. I don’t see any obvious reason to doubt authenticity - @DelawareDoons - what do you see that is concerning?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. If you know the CC mint you'll know it was heated with pine wood. Even though the wood was air dried it still had plenty of moisture in it. This made the mint quite humid and dies were sat on shelves and often not protected with grease, etc. Pretty common problem on CC coins.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2023 6:43PM

@Project Numismatics said:
    Looks like rusted dies. I don’t see any obvious reason to doubt authenticity - @DelawareDoons - what do you see that is concerning?

I don't like the mintmark, in particular. And the overall detail too, notice how well-defined the ear/hairline/hairband is, I'd expect it to look more like this example... PCGS MS62. In contrast, note the comparable lack of detail on LIBERTY.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 6:46PM

This also may be off the same obverse die but is a different reverse die. Note MM punches. Could be later die state of obverse die, potentially. The reverse die in the former coin shows a crack in the CA area that isn't on OP's coin. It's entirely possible we're just seeing a progression of die state here. Again, why I'd wanna see it in hand.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    This also may be off the same obverse die but is a different reverse die. Note MM punches.

Thank you - that does appear to be a different reverse die pairing. How many pairs are known?

• Options

@Project Numismatics said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    This also may be off the same obverse die but is a different reverse die. Note MM punches.

Thank you - that does appear to be a different reverse die pairing. How many pairs are known?

Unfortunately, I don't have a good reference on CC quarters. I also edited my post to add a bit more information after you quoted it. Too fast!

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more of a Seated Half person, not much on the quarters, but IMHO that coin shares too many diagnostic points with the following Coinfacts cert to be a fake, unless a fiendish counterfeiter snuck one through our hosts defenses. Apologies in advance for the screen capture edits and
    stylus scribbles, it is all I have in the airport at the moment.

Not my coin
    MS62
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46088680

The obverse shares the same repunch of the bottom of the 6, the tiny dot between the 76, the dot just to the left of Libertys left index finger holding the staff, the die crack from star 8 thru the top of the cap to star 9 ( on the True view that die crack is partially visible beneath the toning).

The reverse also shares a few perfectly matching diagnostic areas for comparison. Notably the lines on the right hand of the shield and the die break off of the eagles leg into its wing. The same die break is faint on the True view but there.

And the mintmark looks right though the Coinfacts coin appears to have additional die cracks on the reverse. One from the tip of the top arrow into AMER(ICA) and another in the denomination QUA(R. DOL.) Even when you look at the outside of the QUA(R) you see the same bumps. Looks like the same obv/rev die pairing to me.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 11:17PM

@jesbroken said:
    Here are some examples of rusted die coins.
    Jim

This is the 1838 V-10.
    It is not actually die rust, but die "spalling" or "crumbling".
    The reverse die either had impurities or improper heat treating,
    and pieces of it fell off under MERICA as it was used.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you yos, might want to drop a note to CoinFacts, as that is where I got it, didn't think it looked like most rusted dies effects, but not wise enough on the issue to say. Great information, I appreciate your help.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 1:00AM

Interesting.
    Apparently there is a Cherrypicker's Guide FS-901 variety for the V-10:
    "1838 H10C FS-901 Rusted Rev Die No Drapery".
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1838-h10c-fs-901-rusted-rev-die-no-drapery/145427

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1VPgeGAuc
    There is even a PCGS Variety Attribution video on it!
    P.S. The 1838 V-10 is not a rare die variety, and it has at least 10 different die states,
    as more pieces fell off the die.

I don't have a copy of the Cherrypicker's Guide, as I don't need it for half dimes.
    But it appears that PCGS is using the CPG terminology in this case.
    So I would need to get it corrected in the CPG if I wanted to fix this.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many examples of rusted die, CC coins over the years. This thread provides interesting information regarding the situation. Never purchased any rusted die coins, but should have added one to my CC collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I really appreciate everyone for posting and providing the information I needed. I really need to get the varieties book as well as the cherry pickers guide. There is just so much information to learn. Thank you all so much for your help!! :)

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin looks genuine to me. Nice!

• Options

Do you think it will straight grade?

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Briggs says there are 'endless' combinations because of many different obverse and reverse die pairings plus 3 different collars used. Fylnn shows two possible MPD.

Your coin looks to have rusted dies, quite common. Assuming no hairlines it looks like it has a shot.

Here's an 1870 with the same issue.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file