Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some cool differences - Topps vs OPC cards (w pictures)

There have been some recent posts about the collectability and interest level in OPC cards. I thought I'd share one of the things I enjoy about OPC: The variations from Topps cards. Here are some examples:

1971 OPC - later print run allowed for some 'traded' cards:

...as well as the backs being a different color and the back photos (except high #s) in a different location (and of course the free French lessons):

1973 OPC Hockey - Many of the cards have different border colors than Topps:

1974 OPC - some of the Hank Aaron Special cards feature two cards instead of the 4 that Topps showed (sorry, no Topps example here:

1978 OPC - Same deal as '71 with the 'traded' cards:

Daniel

Comments

  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

    Not to mention the famous O-Pee-Chee rough cut edges reminiscent of '69 Topps Deckle Edge cards. LOL

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Was the "Now with" only restricted to certain years, or was it pretty universal after a certain point? I suppose Hodges could have said "Now with Jesus", but I suspect even 51 years ago that might have been controversial.

    Did O-Pee-Chee ever use different pictures (excepting 1977 Blue Jay rookies)?

  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @daltex said:
    Was the "Now with" only restricted to certain years, or was it pretty universal after a certain point? I suppose Hodges could have said "Now with Jesus", but I suspect even 51 years ago that might have been controversial.

    Did O-Pee-Chee ever use different pictures (excepting 1977 Blue Jay rookies)?

    Same photo, but the 1977 Nolan Ryan is cropped tighter for the OPC. I don't have examples handy, but I do know that the 1977 Gary Carter has an alternate photo for the OPC.
    .

  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    Did O-Pee-Chee ever use different pictures (excepting 1977 Blue Jay rookies)?

  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

    Wow I never knew that about the 77 Carter, that is awesome. Also never seen the 74 OPC Aaron specials before.

  • Options

    @daltex said:
    Was the "Now with" only restricted to certain years, or was it pretty universal after a certain point?

    It changed in '82 then went back to "Now with" the following year:

  • Options

    Here are some "Free Agent" variations from '79:

  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 5:12PM

    Here’s a good recap of all the 1971 differences (2 pages)

    http://ohmyopc.blogspot.com/search/label/1971

    Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @countdouglas said:
    .

    I never knew ‘77 Carter has a different photo. I need to get that OPC. Very cool. Definitely on the hunt now.

  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @reelinintheyears said:
    Not sure if this is the only OPC card with this particular notation, but it is certainly the most morbid card I've personally ever seen! >

    A little less morbid


  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    1977 is by far the coolest year, several different photos, cropping differences, and players that didn't have their own cards in the Topps set.

    Pretty cool Bobby Murcer... :)

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    1977 is by far the coolest year, several different photos, cropping differences, and players that didn't have their own cards in the Topps set.!

    You have added to my wantlist!

  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

    @countdouglas said:

    Same photo, but the 1977 Nolan Ryan is cropped tighter for the OPC

    The Phil Niekro card is similar.

  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

    I remember building my 1977 set in PSA holders. The OPC variations were the most fun I had. I was particularly excited about the Madlock, George Scott and always wished there would've been a Dawson or Murphy solo.

    "You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DavidPuddy said:

    Garner even switched positions... :)

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BuckHunter68 said:
    I remember building my 1977 set in PSA holders. The OPC variations were the most fun I had. I was particularly excited about the Madlock, George Scott and always wished there would've been a Dawson or Murphy solo.

    Murphy I can completely understand, but Dawson was an Expo!

  • Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

    Is it just me, or does Griffey look younger in the OPC version?

  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great pics.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @BuckHunter68 said:
    I remember building my 1977 set in PSA holders. The OPC variations were the most fun I had. I was particularly excited about the Madlock, George Scott and always wished there would've been a Dawson or Murphy solo.

    Murphy I can completely understand, but Dawson was an Expo!

    Perhaps you're unaware--They had alternate poses for most of the Canadian players. Like I said, I wished they had an alternative card for him. That's the point...alternative cards...OPC...Canadian....baseball cards, etc. Educate yourself before the opinion springs forth.

    "You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BuckHunter68 said:

    @daltex said:

    @BuckHunter68 said:
    I remember building my 1977 set in PSA holders. The OPC variations were the most fun I had. I was particularly excited about the Madlock, George Scott and always wished there would've been a Dawson or Murphy solo.

    Murphy I can completely understand, but Dawson was an Expo!

    Perhaps you're unaware--They had alternate poses for most of the Canadian players. Like I said, I wished they had an alternative card for him. That's the point...alternative cards...OPC...Canadian....baseball cards, etc. Educate yourself before the opinion springs forth.

    Yes. That is my point. Many/some/all of the Blue Jays on multi-player rookies on Topps cards had their own O-Pee-Chee. It's completely understandable that they left Murphy out, but because Dawson was an Expo, a Canadian team, it makes no sense that they would leave him out of the set. I'm sorry that I was unclear.

  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

    If they would have just included Dawson.... the 77 set would have been just amazing.
    Before I sold my set I scanned every card front and back.

    https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1977-o-pee-chee/alltimeset/29520

    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That dis-eye Magnuson is crazy. Love it.

  • Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

    This thread has me working on a 77' OPC Baseball set now! Great stuff here.
    I'd be a buyer of PSA 9 and PSA 10's I need. (Shameless request).

    Love the two Gary Carter images.

    It's been a long, long time!
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

    Not specific to OPC/Topps variations, but I wonder what triggered the memorial on some cards, a select few, then other players were just missed/ignored. There is a great 1980 Topps Munson memorial card that never was out there. Then after a ton of time with none that I can recall, we get a Cory Lidle card in the mid 2000s. Very odd how that was done (or not done).

    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

    I like any variations that involve Dodgers. Wish I could get that 1979 OPC Messersmith signed!

    How about the 1979 Topps/OPC/BK Tommy John


    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mrmopar said:
    Not specific to OPC/Topps variations, but I wonder what triggered the memorial on some cards, a select few, then other players were just missed/ignored. There is a great 1980 Topps Munson memorial card that never was out there. Then after a ton of time with none that I can recall, we get a Cory Lidle card in the mid 2000s. Very odd how that was done (or not done).

    They definitely should have made one for Bill Masterton, no question. Roberto Clemente would have been appropriate too.

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SlipC said:
    This thread has me working on a 77' OPC Baseball set now! Great stuff here.
    I'd be a buyer of PSA 9 and PSA 10's I need. (Shameless request).

    Love the two Gary Carter images.

    And, as if on cue, a Parker pops up on eBay.

    https://ebay.com/itm/266185978788

  • Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @SlipC said:
    This thread has me working on a 77' OPC Baseball set now! Great stuff here.
    I'd be a buyer of PSA 9 and PSA 10's I need. (Shameless request).

    Love the two Gary Carter images.

    And, as if on cue, a Parker pops up on eBay.

    https://ebay.com/itm/266185978788

    Coincidence? Hmm.

  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

    1977 Fidrych rookie

    Topps:

    OPC:

  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

    Sal Bando. Topps on the right

    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Obviously Bando is just a reversed image.

  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

    @1966CUDA said:
    1977 Fidrych rookie

    Topps:

    OPC:

    OPC loses that one! Topps is way cooler with AS badge and trophy.

    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I checked to see if OPC did an All-Star card for Fidrych, but they didn't.
    These are Topps & OPC's, similar change.
    The regular card looks weird, but I like that they created an All-Star card.

  • Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

    @JolleyWrencher said:

    @daltex said:

    @SlipC said:
    This thread has me working on a 77' OPC Baseball set now! Great stuff here.
    I'd be a buyer of PSA 9 and PSA 10's I need. (Shameless request).

    Love the two Gary Carter images.

    And, as if on cue, a Parker pops up on eBay.

    https://ebay.com/itm/266185978788

    Coincidence? Hmm.

    Hammered at $970. Add the sales tax and this one cost the buyer in the neighborhood of $1025.
    Yikes.

    It's been a long, long time!
  • Options

    @SlipC said:
    Hammered at $970. Add the sales tax and this one cost the buyer in the neighborhood of $1025.
    Yikes.

    Considering what "artificially" low pop ultra modern cards sell for these days, a '70's PSA 10 pop 3 that is unlikely to increase in number much, if at all, selling for around $1,000 doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me. Getting a 10 from PSA or SGC on a '70's card is nearly impossible these days. A '65 OPC Drysdale PSA 9 (pop 1 none higher) sold for just under $1,000 on ebay recently, which I feel was a very good deal for the buyer.

  • Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

    Yes it appears PSA 9 will be the new PSA 10 these days regarding OPC. Even PSA 9 HOF'ers fetch hefty prices.

    It's been a long, long time!
Sign In or Register to comment.