Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel Collector Treat!

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

BAM! Look what I got my sticky fingers on and just got graded!

Comments

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Did it come from a Mint set? That's a good looking Jefferson!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are extremely tough to find. Congrats.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Why no designation on the label (is this a recognized variety?)?

For those who are wondering, it's the absurdly high D mintmark...

NGC recognizes it for sure. I'd be surprised if PCGS didn't.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why didn’t they document the designation?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool 😎

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

OUTSTANDING!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. PCGS does not recognize it on CoinFacts or their Price sheet.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@JBK said:
    Why no designation on the label (is this a recognized variety?)?

For those who are wondering, it's the absurdly high D mintmark...

NGC recognizes it for sure. I'd be surprised if PCGS didn't.

Correct about NGC. PCGS doesn't recognize it yet.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

1975 D Jefferson Nickel FS-401 Misplaced Mint Mark Rare Error 5 Known. And that one the OP has, just may be the finest known as well. Very nice!

• Options
    c0injunkyc0injunky Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Well done, that’s a nice one!

• Options

@BigDowgie Q. David Bowers has offered $1000 for ANY example of this coin. For one that highly graded, he may pay much more.

https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/jefferson-nickel-denver-mint-mark-varieties-bowers.html

• Options

Yes, the infamous 1975-D High D. I'll be waiting until PCGS attributes this variety. I can't count the years I've been hunting this one. I wish I could say I cherry picked, but nay. Though I did not take out a second mortgage for it. Next I want to find the first FS example!

I'm still hunting for that 1964-D/D RPM-001! A Forum member has an NGC MS66 example. One of these days!

Thanks for looking and comments.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp strike - nice grade!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 7:04PM

If the variety has FS designation, and listed in the CPG, PCGS should attribute it.

1975 D MISPLACED MINTMARK 5C MS
    NGC Attribution: MISPLACED MINTMARK
    Cross Reference
    Fivaz-Stanton (NEW): FS-401

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/jefferson-five-cents-1938-date/?page=1

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic Find! Congrats on that!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is interesting.... I did not know about that variety. Have to add that to my search list for when I go through my huge nickel jar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps most or all of the 800k coins are hangin' out in Puerto Rico with all the 2009 Nickels.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at my 6th edition CPG, I'm not finding it. I see that NGC shows it as FS-401, but they're not the CPG. So when did it come to be that?

• Options

NGC has started attributing many varieties that are not in CPG. PCGS has a few, but from a while ago. At least for the Jefferson series, PCGS sticks with CPG for what they attribute and add to the "complete variety" sets. They may pop this one in at some point, so I will be waiting.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2023 1:02PM

@dsessom said:
    @BigDowgie Q. David Bowers has offered $1000 for ANY example of this coin. For one that highly graded, he may pay much more.

https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/jefferson-nickel-denver-mint-mark-varieties-bowers.html

Believe it or not, you are way under the money on this variety. There was an example in NGC XF40 in the Fred Weinberg auction at Heritage (with his signature insert in the slab) that went for over $1K. I cannot even wrap my head around an MS66.

Link to Fred's coin at HA

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

@seanq said:

@dsessom said:

Believe it or not, you are way under the money on this variety. There was an example in NGC XF40 in the Fred Weinberg auction at Heritage (with his signature insert in the slab) that went for over $1K. I cannot even wrap my head around an MS66.

Link to Fred's coin at HA

Sean Reynolds

Agreed, Sean. This example is unprecedented. It would be impossible to put a value on it because one in this grade has never been seen, to my knowledge.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, BD! Congrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2023 6:25PM

Cool variety .
    But this one may be "hiding in plain sight," so to speak.
    I can't imagine many people are aware that the mintmark is higher than normal. And for the general population-they probably don't even know it has a mint mark.
    Congrats

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

I still owe the collector that found this some serious swag! It would be nice to return the favor with another MS example!

The hunt continues.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file