Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2001 Lincoln Cent found CRH. At first I thought this was post mint damage... buuuttt... is it??

Hello all,

I was doing some coin roll hunting this evening and came across this 2001 Lincoln cent. At first glance, I thought it to be no more than post mint damage. Upon closer inspection, I thought that perhaps it may be something else. I just don't know what. My question is, what is this? What am I looking at here? Is this some type of strike through or brockage or something? Please forgive my ignorance, I'm still learning all these terms, what exactly they are, and how to properly identify them. What really caught my eye was the fact that there seemed to be some type of pattern in the damaged areas. Particularly on the reverse; there are lines that almost resemble wings or something. I have some others that I have questions about too. I thought of putting them all in one post so that I wouldn't inundate the forum with all my newbie questions. I then decided, that was likely a worse idea. Haha. That being said, there will be more posts with lots of pictures and questions. I know that most everyone here has a great deal more experience and knowledge than I do. After all, that's why I joined up. I look forward to your responses and helpful information.

Thank you in advance,
Kyle

Best Answer

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyle, yes it post mint damage, but I have to say - your photography skills are sick!

Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage=. (PMD) :/

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning...

• Options

I'm assuming that you're rather incoherently agreeing that this, is indeed, PMD. Haha. Looks like another swing and a miss, I suppose. I'd rather come here and look like a super newb, than miss out on something that could have been something. Anyway, thank you for your responses. Much appreciated. I'll be back with more. Hopefully, one of them will actually be winner! 🤞

• Options

Well thank you. I do try. Maybe I can photograph something that's actually worth everyone's time in the future! Haha.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cusick03 .... Definitely PMD.... Excellent pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cusick03 said:
    Well thank you. I do try. Maybe I can photograph something that's actually worth everyone's time in the future! Haha.

You’re ready to show it when it comes. An accurate photo of a worthless coin is more informative than a poor picture of a valuable coin.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

To much narrative for an PMD.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2023 9:22AM

The damage is interesting across the letters because it's circular and tiny, so what
    on earth caused it? Makes me wonder, like you, if it weren't a strike through.

See photo 2 where the dent runs from the N O through the left end of steps
    and then into the U and N...in a circular manner.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t see anything on either side that can’t be attributed to PMD.
    It is not always necessary to know how the damage was done, all you
    need to know is that it could not happen during the striking of the coin.
    If it couldn’t have happened at that time, then it is automatically PMD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file