Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help with some of my raw Morgans. Grading opinions and whether to slab and/or sell.

As a recent new member I'm looking for some help. I do however recognize that I have found a wealth of knowledge and experience with you guys. I'm recently retired (Dec. '21) and trying to to determine if these morgans I've been holding onto for 30-40 yrs are anything to keep, have graded and slabbed, or maybe just part with. Your honest opinions are very welcomed. In my short time here I have learned a lot, mostly that I know very little. However I am trying to learn. I have learned I suck at grading! And I don't believe I'm very objective at grading my own! Taking pictures have also been a challenge, mostly lighting. If needed to graner your opinions I can try again. I also have a 1883, 1886 O, 1890 O and a 1898, These I have graded in the 2 to 8 range. Very circulated! I haven't taken pictures of these yet.

First up is a 1896

Next is a 1898, I believe this is "cleaned" coin.

Next is a 1878

Next the first of 2 1921's

Next the second 1921

Comments

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Hi, Welcome. Non worth slabbing as value is not above $50 for any coin. The 96 looks the best of the bunch, hard to tell if high AU or cleaned with photo. The white lighting is too bright on the 1st 2 coins. The 78 has a bent rim. The 1st 21 looks wiped/cleaned and the last if not cleaned is only an XF.

Thank you.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2023 11:36AM

I would not spend the money to slab any of those four, all look cleaned and the last 1921 appears thumbed in the photos. And none are valuable enough to benefit from slabbing. I would hold onto them and wait to see if there is a run up on silver in the future, that would be the time to sell. Each is only worth approximately $35 give or take currently.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flatten those staples on the 2x2's.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 said:
    Flatten those staples on the 2x2's.

Being new to all this, can I ask why? I thought it best to just remove from the 2x2's.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Removing is great. If the staples must remain, flatten so the don’t scratch other coins.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Staples scratch your other coins when they aren't flattened. Also if taking out of the 2x2 make sure to not scratch the coin with the staples in the holder.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 said:
    Staples scratch your other coins when they aren't flattened. Also if taking out of the 2x2 make sure to not scratch the coin with the staples in the holder.

Ok, gotcha.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing anything worthy of grading. If in the future you have an ECONOMY SUBMISSION send in the 1896 but only after a nice long bath in Acetone.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not recommend submitting any of those to a TPG. Cost of slabbing, shipping, insurance will just add cost that, without a strong run up in silver melt value, will not be recoverable. Cheers, RickO

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 10:34AM

Id put em in some better flips and call it good

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file