Home Sports Talk

New rules for MLB 2023

2»

Comments

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of people complaining about the pitch clock on social media.

I like it so far with the spring training games.

Hardest part has been staying up late for the end of post season games. A few years ago I was watching a Dodger game. I dozed off in the middle of an at bat, when I awoke a few minutes later, the same guy was batting and the count only changed by one pitch. Forgot who the Dodger pitcher was, but he was ridiculously slow.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to derail a baseball thread, but even golf had to institute a clock for slow players.

It's brutal at the course following an oblivious foursome.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Umpire behind home plate, the crew chief, should be the guy who exercises more control over what's going on without the need for a stupid pitch or bat clock.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    The Umpire behind home plate, the crew chief, should be the guy who exercises more control over what's going on without the need for a stupid pitch or bat clock.

THIS!

In the book "The Umpires Strikes Back" (great read), former MLB umpire Ron Luciano says the umpires could have dealt with pitchers doctoring the ball by letting them toss the pitcher out of the game if they suspected cheating.
    The time issue would have been an even simpler fix. The MLB ignored the problem just like they allowed players to keep delaying the game until it became unwatchable (fo me).
    In the new world we live in, I can see that there's no room for common sense, so we just put a clock in and you eliminate the crying about applying the rules unfairly.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

There is nothing more fair and impartial than a pitch clock. It is common sense to institute a pitch clock and speed up games to make them more watchable. You folks sound like the people that were lamenting the introduction of the shot clock in college basketball and the end of the four corners offense at the end of games.

Robb

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭

I love the pitch clock and was sure tired of the adjustments of the batting gloves, jock and whatever else they could think of !

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey you kids - get off my lawn!!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2