Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What 80’s card over we overlooking

From a value increase in the future what 80’s card are we overlooking? I remember when you could buy an 87 Topps Bonds psa 10 for like $30 and I never thought about buying any because the price was so low. I know pop reports matter of course but is it the 89 fleer Griffey maybe? 89 UD Randy Johnson? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

1989 Topps Tiffany Randy Johnson PSA 10.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I believe all of the Topps Tiffany cards from 84-89 are pretty undervalued. If you look at the set registry it's clear people are starting to work on some of these sets (particularly 84-85). I think this trend will continue and it could drive up prices across the board on Tiffany cards.

I think OPC cards of Hall of Famers from 81-87 are pretty undervalued. These OPC cards are very tough in high grade and if demand increases there is very little supply. OPC cards from the 70's are seeing some pretty big increases and I imagine 80's will follow suit at some point.

I also like Don Mattingly Rookies (1984 Topps Tiffany, 1984 Donruss, 1984 Nestles, 1984 Fleer). While I do not believe that he belongs in the Hall of Fame, I do think there will be a push and he will make it eventually. He's already a very popular player from that time period and getting into the Hall should give his cards a big push.

Stretching a little further into the 90's I think that 93 SP Jeters are extremely undervalued when compared to other players with similar popularity.

Just my opinions though.......

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

full agreement on the tiffany cards.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1987 Green Classic Bo Jackson PSA 10.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

I would post a link to the Here Comes Mr Meatloaf video but I would be banned.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always found interesting the 84 Nestles series in baseball. Mattingly,Strawberry Schmidt, etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

1980-87 OPC baseball Hall of famers.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

1988 Donruss Mike Lavalliere PSA 1

• Options
    woodstock2woodstock2 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

100% agree about Tiffany cards - particularly 84, 85, 86. Mattingly too. He may never be in the HOF but he was a class act and so many of us wanted to be like him growing up... when I think back on being a kid he was so much a part of my obsession with collecting. I also like all early 80s OPC rookies graded 9 or higher. I'm a fan of some variations too like 89 Fleer Randy Johnson Marlboro. PSA isn't applying the Ad on Scoreboard label as liberally anymore so those will get harder to find. I'm also a big fan of 1985 Nasty Nick and Adam Bomb GPK cards graded 8 or higher. When people my age think back to collecting in the 80s you can't help but think of these cards and they are aren't incredibly plentiful in higher grades.