Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cards damaged in grading process

f2tornadof2tornado Posts: 180 ✭✭
edited February 24, 2023 12:58PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My last order had 13 or 14 cards damaged at some point in the grading process. The top right corner on all the cards was scuffed. When this happened to me on a card in a previous order, PSA contacted me, waived the fee, and discounted the order based on market value of damaged card. Not the case this time. Adding insult to injury, I don't feel I can sell some of the cards with the established grade since the damage looks worse than the Mint 9 assigned. The card on right in first image is Cert #70864195 and that type of corner damage is not consistent with a Mint grade. What, if anything, can I do? I emailed CS and got the 15 days for response notice.

"One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt

Comments

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

You should get reimbursed for the difference between the PSA 9 value and the grade that the damaged card gets after being reviewed. You will have to wait till they either approve the case and have you send the cards back for review or say you are out of luck. If you do get to send them back be prepared to wait a year or so to get a final verdict. I am waiting on multiple review cases like this dating back to May 2022.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

To be honest, those three that are posted at the top aren't necessarily not a PSA 9. I wouldn't call them ideal 9's, but if everything on the card was perfect except for what you show, they could be a reach 9. I wouldn't necessarily call them PSA 8's, as I've seen worse corners on those. On the other slabs you have pictured, I pulled up the pics from the PSA cert page and they all look fine for 9's, so not sure what your gripe is. Being that these are all recent modern Pokie's, the value is really in PSA 10's, so the diff between an 8 and 9 isn't huge. You trying to get PSA to give you like a 5 spot back per slab??

• f2tornadof2tornado Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 5:01PM

@RufussCkingston said:
    ...and they all look fine for 9's, so not sure what your gripe is. Being that these are all recent modern Pokie's, the value is really in PSA 10's, so the diff between an 8 and 9 isn't huge. You trying to get PSA to give you like a 5 spot back per slab??

No. I'm saying PSA damaged them.

This is 70864195 in raw form. There are no chipped corners.

"One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt

@f2tornado said:

Too low res to see anything... You take pre-sub pics of cards that are worth only $45 in PSA 10?

• @RufussCkingston said:
    Too low res to see anything...

Here is 70864186. Yes, PSA damaged at least 13 cards in the order. Yes, they are relatively cheap, even with a 10, but that doesn't alter what happened here.

• johfrjohfr Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I find grown men arguing about Pokemon cards hilarious.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@f2tornado said:

@RufussCkingston said:
    ...and they all look fine for 9's, so not sure what your gripe is. Being that these are all recent modern Pokie's, the value is really in PSA 10's, so the diff between an 8 and 9 isn't huge. You trying to get PSA to give you like a 5 spot back per slab??

Did you submit the cards in toploaders as pictured?

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@f2tornado said:

@RufussCkingston said:

Did you submit the cards in toploaders as pictured?

If you plan on using those toploaders I would suggest adding in a penny sleave.

Most of us send in using cardsavers, this is from their website: Card Savers are the most popular semi-rigid trading card holders in the world. They are used and recommended by PSA and most major PSA authorized dealers. PSA has relied on the Card Saver 1 and Card Saver 4 trading card holders since they started in 1991.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Sucks they got damaged. I'm considering removing all my cards from top loaders because the way PSA may be doing it is slamming it upside down on a table to get it to slide to the bottom before tapping the sides.

Some people put a post it note on the penny sleeve and the note sticks out of the top loader so they can easily pull them out.

I'd still be upset because they should be experts at removing them.

The guy who thinks it's hilarious that people care about Pokémon is a person to put on MUTE.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    Sucks they got damaged. I'm considering removing all my cards from top loaders because the way PSA may be doing it is slamming it upside down on a table to get it to slide to the bottom before tapping the sides.

Some people put a post it note on the penny sleeve and the note sticks out of the top loader so they can easily pull them out.

The guy who thinks it's hilarious that people care about Pokémon is a person to put on MUTE.

Cards should never be submitted in top loaders anyway.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@JolleyWrencher said:
    Sucks they got damaged. I'm considering removing all my cards from top loaders because the way PSA may be doing it is slamming it upside down on a table to get it to slide to the bottom before tapping the sides.

If you are submitting your cards to PSA in top loaders, then they deserve to be damaged..... It's not against the rules to use top loaders per se... but the instructions on the PSA website is very specific that the use of top loaders is advised against!

https://www.psacard.com/submissions/shipguide

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@f2tornado said:

Too low res to see anything... You take pre-sub pics of cards that are worth only $45 in PSA 10?

You shouldn't even have to take pre grading photos for the cost of the service.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I don't care if it is Pokémon cards or vintage baseball cards, whatever cards the OP chose to submit he has every right to be upset if PSA damaged them. I think any one of us would feel the same way if it happened to our subs.

Yes. It isn't always the $ value that means everything. Occasionally, there are sentimental attachments as well that figure into the grading experience. Example. Ones late Dad gifted you his cards that were owned by him for years. Card(s) returned damaged. For sure has a negative effect.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Glad the kids are older Justin, and you're able to enjoy the hobby again ( with them also hopefully)
    To comment on your query from my own personal experiences over the last year or so ==>

File the CRC claim. The rep will contact you. Provide them with the before sub pics, and those slabbed item damage pics

PSA grading then reviews them if documented properly.

At best , they might agree, then they'll pay declared value ,refund the grading fees, plus return the cards at a lower graded level slabbed

If they agree and determine the declared was excessive ,they'll pay market value plus grading fees, and return the cards slabbed
    No use arguing with them about the market value in that case.

At worst they'll disagree, say why and send them back as is. If one is lucky with minor compensation. Most times nothing.

And be prepared to get frustrated by months and months of waiting on answers and/or solutions

Again just personal experiences based on a dozen CRC claims over the last 18 months. There was even more damaged, but it was not worth the time or hassles involved. I may not agree with what PSA decides, but in the long term its been acceptable business wise.

jeff

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

In

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZERSFAN22

Was the upper left corner of the PSA 9 also damaged?

• Did the card get damaged or swapped out?
    Read customer reviews of the PSA app and you find somebody who believes 13 of 14 cards were swapped and a box of cards disappeared in shipping.

I am not going to accuse anyone but I had the fear of swapped goods when ebay said they will use authentication.

A few cameras for shipping/receiving and one on each grader should be the minimum level of security that PSA management should have for this industry. The cherry on top would be to record and save (for 90 days or less) the media for each submission. I won't go into the weeds on how to do this but it's simple and can be combined with a scanner to make it a quicker process.

People would gladly pay more.

They could even use the grading software that other companies have just to ensure the card encapsulated is in 99% identical condition to the condition received.

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 12:33PM

Did we ever hear back from the OP, did he send them in Top loaders? Either way I feel bad for him.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

When people begin making wild, unbased and false speculation about PSA, then it is time to shut things down. To the OP, please do contact the CRC if you would like someone to look into your situation.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.