Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New toned coin project

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve started a project to assemble toned ANACS soapbox slabs. My goal is to find a toned example or multiples for each denomination, within my budget restrictions.
This is what I’ve compiled so far. The dime is a top pop.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group thus far! Good luck on this endeavor as those soapbox style holders have not been used in decades and many (most?) of the choice coins have been poached from them years ago.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great project! Love these soap bar slabs! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    A great project! Love these soap bar slabs! 👍🏻 👍🏻

+1

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 2:13PM

I will look thru my remainder soap box slabs and see if there is anything you might be interested in. Only about 60 or 70 left.

Edit- Are you only doing 1 coin of each type because I see 2 toner Franklins?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I will look thru my remainder soap box slabs and see if there is anything you might be interested in. Only about 60 or 70 left.

Edit- Are you only doing 1 coin of each type because I see 2 toner Franklins?

Multiples depending on colors/prices.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok any toners in soap boxes I'll send you pics.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am looking forward to seeing your eventual Kennedy half and your eventual Peace dollar.
    Nice grouping so far.

peacockcoins

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff 👍

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve heard anecdotally that the plastic in the soapboxes may make the coins tone. Any thoughts on that?

• Options

@Vasanti said:
    I’ve heard anecdotally that the plastic in the soapboxes may make the coins tone. Any thoughts on that?

Some of the coins, such as the Morgan, do get some blue tones to them. I’ll post another example of one that toned in the holder.

• Options

While this has some toning, I do not consider it part of that set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked... I do not have any tarnished coins in soap box holders... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group and a great idea for collecting.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Could be a possible toned Kennedy. I’ll find out in a week or so.

• Options

A new Merc from “The Reeded Edge” and 2 Rosie’s from @gumby1234

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file