Home Q & A Forum
Options

Population reports for NGC

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hello, everyone.
This question is specifically about NGC but it does involve a foreign coin. I hope I have placed this inquiry in the correct spot.

I have a 2005 Romania 500L George Enescu PF 66 Ultra Cameo certified by NGC. I am trying to The certification number is 2396749-005. I had it certified years ago.

The complication is that my coin I believe is made of Tombac or brass (I bought it as such) but this is not designated on the slab. Numista refers to it as a "Pattern" in brass N#316849. The GOLD version of this piece coin is KM-206 but the NGC slab does not signify if it is the pattern or gold coin. This could cause considerable confusion if the piece ever were to hit the market when I am no longer the owner. What does one do in this case?

Does NGC maintain old population reports as I'm curious to see how this is listed and how many have been certified.

Thanks VERY much. Sorry I can't post a photo...yet. I'm still working on that. New "simple" camera... 85-page owner's manual. :s

Piano1

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may get more replies or better replies on the world coin forum or the NGC forum. ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

https://boards.ngccoin.com/

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 1:48PM

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 said:
    [...]

Does NGC maintain old population reports as I'm curious to see how this is listed and how many have been certified.

[...]

FWIW, if you look up the cert, and then 'left click' the "total traded by NGC" field, you get this.

I am NOT really familiar with the NGC census. However, I did note that there are four distinct 'entries/rows' for the 2005 George Enescu. Your coin, the only 66, is the only 'entry/row' without a P.606.X designation.

• Options

Wozymoto..

You're the best!!! That's my Enescu coin!!!! May I ask where you got the photo? I have another NGC coin but I can't find any population reports and I'd like to be able to search it out.

Thanks SO much!!

Piano1

• Options

Just a quick thanks to my kind "repliers", for taking the time and sharing your time snf knowledge with me regarding NGC pop reports. Very helpful and much appreciated. Wozymoto, thanks also for posting the photo of my Enesco Romania "coin". It has vanished from this topic but I did print it out while it was up.

Thanks!!!!

Piano1

• Options
    edited February 20, 2023 7:58AM

@Piano1

I did not see the post from @wozymodo before it was 'edited/deleted'.

If you do not mind me asking, do you have a definitive answer regarding composition (i.e., gold versus brass)?

Edited.

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@MetroD said:
    @Piano1

I did not see the post from @wozymodo before it was 'edited/deleted'.

If you do not mind me asking, do you have a definitive answer regarding composition (i.e., gold versus brass)?

Edited.

Sorry, post was images of cert from NGC app ...

• Options

Hello, MetroD.

No. If I judge the Romania 500 Lei piece only on the slab label, it would imply that it is the gold composition. Again, the photo is my exact slab. Unless someone made a big mistake on eBay when I bought the coin years ago, I have the "Tombac" or "Brass" version that is in the NGC holder. An easy mistake for NGC to make as they certainly can't keep track of every trial or "Essay" that world mints produce. (Perhaps NGC should establish a separate category for trials, essays...) What worries me is if a future buyer might be fooled should he/she acquire the coin after it leaves my possession.

Thank you for your follow-up on this issue. I was afraid that I violated a rule by asking a question about an NGC slab on the PCGS website and that's why the photo was deleted. I do want to keep my nose clean on this site. I'm having a blast here!

All the best.

Piano1

• Options

@wozymodo said:

Sorry, post was images of cert from NGC app ...

Thanks for (re) posting. :)

• Options

So, may I assume that NGC slabs should not be posted on this site? I just want to be sure not to offend!

Thanks.

Piano1

• Options

@Piano1 said:
    So, may I assume that NGC slabs should not be posted on this site? I just want to be sure not to offend!

Thanks.

Piano1

You can review the forum rules here.

As far as I know, it is OK to post an image of an NGC slab. Just as long as any associated commentary does not violate any rules.

• Options

@Piano1 said:
    Hello, MetroD.

No. If I judge the Romania 500 Lei piece only on the slab label, it would imply that it is the gold composition. Again, the photo is my exact slab. Unless someone made a big mistake on eBay when I bought the coin years ago, I have the "Tombac" or "Brass" version that is in the NGC holder. An easy mistake for NGC to make as they certainly can't keep track of every trial or "Essay" that world mints produce. (Perhaps NGC should establish a separate category for trials, essays...) What worries me is if a future buyer might be fooled should he/she acquire the coin after it leaves my possession.

Thank you for your follow-up on this issue. I was afraid that I violated a rule by asking a question about an NGC slab on the PCGS website and that's why the photo was deleted. I do want to keep my nose clean on this site. I'm having a blast here!

All the best.

Piano1

Greetings. :)

I do not have a great deal of experience with NGC. That said, their "guarantee" mentions an "appearance review" service. Do NOT know if it would apply in this case, as the issue is specific to composition. Link

If you are concerned, it might be worth reviewing their guarantee, 'and/or' contacting them directly.

With respect to 'subject matter/images', or host is typically very tolerant when it comes to non-PCGS topics. As long as no rules are violated.

Enjoy the site. It really is a wonderful resource.

Regards