Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is Just WRONG!!

Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stumbled on this searching info about EAC. Im understanding why buying raw is a crapshoot, unless you really know your coin. Seeing this really irritates me.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Comments

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Has anyone asked the seller if they are marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Has anyone asked the seller if they are marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act?

    No one seems to care about the HPA. One particularly flagrant violator has quite a fan base in the hobby.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Possibly the reverse is marked copy... but I would not bet on it. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Has anyone asked the seller if they are marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act?

    No one seems to care about the HPA. One particularly flagrant violator has quite a fan base in the hobby.

    Don't confuse counterfeits of real US coins with fantasy coins that don't actually exist as real US Mint products.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At least they aren’t trying to sell them for 10s of thousands. That will probably be the next reseller…

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    :)>:)>:) yep.

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    Possibly the reverse is marked copy... but I would not bet on it. Cheers, RickO


    Source: https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Rare-Antique-USA-United-States-Full-Set-1795-1798-Great-4Pcs-Flowing-Hair-Coins/1044981060

  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Has anyone asked the seller if they are marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act?

    No one seems to care about the HPA. One particularly flagrant violator has quite a fan base in the hobby.

    Don't confuse counterfeits of real US coins with fantasy coins that don't actually exist as real US Mint products.

    True but ask 100 or heck 1,000 people on the street what year US coinage started and most would be off by more than 10 years. Ask them when Morgans started, or Lincolns or Washington quarters. What we immediately identify as a "fantasy" coin because it is one year before a run or one year after a run is not identified by most people.

    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JRocco said:

    @PerryHall said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Has anyone asked the seller if they are marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act?

    No one seems to care about the HPA. One particularly flagrant violator has quite a fan base in the hobby.

    Don't confuse counterfeits of real US coins with fantasy coins that don't actually exist as real US Mint products.

    True but ask 100 or heck 1,000 people on the street what year US coinage started and most would be off by more than 10 years. Ask them when Morgans started, or Lincolns or Washington quarters. What we immediately identify as a "fantasy" coin because it is one year before a run or one year after a run is not identified by most people.

    Some people could be convinced that a manhole cover is a coin. Should they all be marked "COPY"? :D

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Some people could be convinced that a manhole cover is a coin. Should they all be marked "COPY"? :D

    Almost

  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Some people could be convinced that a manhole cover is a coin. Should they all be marked "COPY"? :D

    Almost

    is it slabbed?

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks slathered—how does that happen?

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Glen2022 said:

    @Fraz said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Some people could be convinced that a manhole cover is a coin. Should they all be marked "COPY"? :D

    Almost

    is it slabbed?

    No. Environmental damage. :D

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bonanza is based out of Australia. I sent him a nice note and let him know he's violating US law and harming collectors. 'eh, we'll see.
    bob :)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 1:45PM

    @AUandAG said:
    Bonanza is based out of Australia. I sent him a nice note and let him know he's violating US law and harming collectors. 'eh, we'll see.
    bob :)

    I could be wrong, but this suggests that the company has their HQ in Seattle:

    Source: https://www.zoominfo.com/c/bonanza-inc/353730365

    Edited to add:
    Found a similar offering on newegg.com.
    It also ships from ASTL. Could the seller be located there?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file