Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two Sides To Every Coin

My motivation for this post is two-fold.

One is to increase the awareness of the public and those in the numismatic community of the importance of their role in the themes and designs of US circulating and commemorative coins. All questions will be answered, and all suggestions will be considered if you email them to info@CCAC.gov.

Second is to share my path to our beloved hobby.

This is important as I was appointed by the Treasury Secretary to represent the interests of the public on the 11-member Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) and I have been reappointed to serve an additional year as Chair of the CCAC. Over this year, I will be holding educational sessions at many of the upcoming numismatic meetings.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lawrence Brown

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Casabrown... Thank you for the information and your work. Cheers, RickO

• CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Thank you for your comment and please share any ideas you may have as to how we can increase awareness.

Awaiting questions/suggestions on circulating and commemorative coin and medal designs.. Please send to CCAC.gov.

Regards

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, if 98% of the respondents want "X" but the people in charge don't, "X" won't happen.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2023 6:14PM

With no experience and great talent, our forefathers created some of the most beautiful, to this day, numismatic treasures that we collectors fight to own. Does anyone truly think 200 years from today their will be enough interest in modern coinage to even have a local club of collectors? @MasonG is correct. The people in charge want their 5 year olds to design the new coinage for some unknown reason. Sorry, but that's my opinion. Thank you for your post and service.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Dear Colleagues,

I understand your perspectives. I shared some similar sentiments until I became aware of the comprehensiveness of the US coin and medal designing process. For clarification, the focus is on circulating and commemorative coins and medals (such as bronze and silver replicates of Congressional Gold Medals).

However, it begins with the individual or group with an idea or theme, embraced and supported by our elected representatives in the House and Senate. Therefore, and while change may take some time, we are witnesses to changes over the last 200 years. More recently, such changes have been witnessed in modern commemorative coins and even more recently in the American Women Quarters program.

Comments and questions pertaining to suggestions about new themes can also be forwarded to the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), which reviews these and based upon merit are forwarder to the Secretary of Treasury and included in the CCAC Annual Report (see the attached 2022 Annual Report), which is forwarded to the leaders of the relevant leaders of the House and Senate Committees with responsibility for US coin and medal legislation. Included in the Annual Report are recommendations of which many come from citizens.

Bottomline, we all have the potential to contribute to changes in designs, first by improving our knowledge of the process and then followed by leveraging that knowledge.

It is truly up to us! So, please forward your suggestions and comments to the CCAC (info@CCAC.org).

ttt

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lawrence, thank you for your time and effort to include us in your pursuit of new ideas.

More importantly, your persistence is impressive and your ability to maintain your professionalism in response to the negative comments is a testament to your commitment to the program.

I would love to hear more about who thought of and the process involved to approve the W quarters released in 2019 and 2020 along with the W pennies and nickels.

That was an awesome idea!😎

Was it the result of the public's input through this process?🤔

Very good questions. I am going to have to inquire from some of the US mint leadership. Please also send this question to the CCAC.gov as it allows me to more expediently obtain answers to these types of questions.

By the way, I am accustomed to some of the pessimism. I believe that some of this is due to inadequate understanding. For this reason, members of the CCAC and myself will be holding public forums at many of the meetings attended by our colleagues. I will keep you posted.

Best regards

ttt

@Casabrown said:
    Very good questions. I am going to have to inquire from some of the US mint leadership. Please also send this question to the CCAC.gov as it allows me to more expediently obtain answers to these types of questions.

By the way, I am accustomed to some of the pessimism. I believe that some of this is due to inadequate understanding. For this reason, members of the CCAC and myself will be holding public forums at many of the meetings attended by our colleagues. I will keep you posted.

Best regards

I sent the email per your request.

Great and I hope we can generate enough appreciation among numismatists that this (CCAC.gov) is another vehicle to share their voices.

All the best

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2023 10:25PM

@jesbroken said:
    The people in charge want their 5 year olds to design the new coinage for some unknown reason. Sorry, but that's my opinion. Thank you for your post and service.
    Jim

I agree

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Good morning,

I am interested in understanding your comment and basis. Are you aware of anyone who has offered suggestions and how they did so?

Would you please be willing to add more information and copying this to the info@CCAC.gov email? I am asking this as I have come to appreciate that many collectors may not be aware of their roles in US coin and medal designs. To be clear, I am not asking for names of individuals, just a little more understanding.

I look forward to your response. By the way, my service is only as valuable as it provides a benefit to others.

Best regards

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the US Gov't changing over to Crypto in the next few years, what is the point? You'll be out of a position soon as no input will be needed. Janet Yellen has indicated that next July could be the rollout for US Crypto. Biden signed executive orders to study and implement Crypto in the US and replace existing currency.
    Best,
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

My goodness! Many complain about this hobby dying out yet when given a chance to provide input about new programs they decline. Quite confusing to me!🤔

Time to turn this thread in to a more positive direction 🤣😂

I just emailed my 2 following suggestions:

Circulating Coins: limited edition production of quarters with reverse designs of the 5 US Mints in our history with the corresponding privy mint mark on the obverse and either no mint mark or the S or W mint mark. Production numbers and distribution the same way as the W quarters program.

Commerative Coins: limited edition production of 1794 flowing hair silver dollar to commemorate what is believed to be the first silver dollar produced by the US Mint.

Bob: I am not familiar with your comment. I can say with confidence that like any US citizen, you have a voice in themes and designs for commemorative coins and in coins to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the US in 2026.

WQuarterFreddie: Thanks for your input.

@AUandAG said:
    With the US Gov't changing over to Crypto in the next few years, what is the point? You'll be out of a position soon as no input will be needed. Janet Yellen has indicated that next July could be the rollout for US Crypto. Biden signed executive orders to study and implement Crypto in the US and replace existing currency.
    Best,
    bob :)

Yeah ok...you believe the government will enact crypto by July 2024? 😂🤣

@Casabrown said:
    Bob: I am not familiar with your comment. I can say with confidence that like any US citizen, you have a voice in themes and designs for commemorative coins and in coins to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the US in 2026.

WQuarterFreddie: Thanks for your input.

My pleasure and thank you for passing my suggestion along to the committee for discussion.🤞

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie Not what I believe, it's what Janet Yellen has been instructed to roll out buy July, by Presidential Executive Order.
    Executive Order 14067
    Executive Order 14067, officially titled Ensuring Responsible Development of Digital Assets, was signed on March 9, 2022, and is the 83rd executive order signed by U.S. President Joe Biden. The ultimate aim of the order is to develop digital assets in a responsible manner. The executive order addresses the potential national security implications of cryptocurrencies.
    Wikipedia

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Don't want to hijack this thread but keywords here are EXECUTIVE ORDER. They are not binding and can be stopped:
    Congress has the power to overturn an executive order by passing legislation that invalidates it, and can also refuse to provide funding necessary to carry out certain policy measures contained with the order or legitimize policy mechanisms.

Folks,

I love these comments. Please keep them coming and even more importantly also send them via email to info@CCAC.gov. This will make sure that the breath and depth of your comments and suggestions go to the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

Best regards

ttt

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for reaching out here. Apathy is not acceptable. A Brooklyn boy done good!
    Peace, Roy from Sheepshead Bay and East NY.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there were three sides to every coin obverse, reverse and edge

Shocking, I know 🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

I am back and pleading with all of us to avoid apathy or paralyzing pessimism.

Every voice is important!!! If we do not take advantage of opportunities, then why are we not just as much to blame as those we blame. Please send your thoughts, questions, and suggestions for coin designs, either new or classic ones that you would like to see return. Send them to info@CCAC.gov. Copy them in this thread and I promise I will work to get answers to them while I am Chair to the CCAC.

Lawrence Brown

ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file