Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How is this just an MS66? Really it was an MS67 that spent 25 years on a window ledge

2»

Comments

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:
    Please forgive the gallows humor but stand aside gents, I have just cornered the market on windowsill coins in far eastern Ohio.

You mere mortal. Not even an entire state.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’I see there are now 2 FS 1968-D Nickels. Didn't the first come from one of these 10,000 sets? wonder when the second showed up.’’

I graded the one and only Gem MS65FS in existence. I partnered the coin with a very talented board member who presented it to me in a NY deli and I didn’t research the history of where it originally came from. That was his “deal”. My “job” was where it was going from there. And, I knew it was going into a PCGS gem FS holder (which it did on the very first submission as I recall)! The undergrade PCGS 64FS had been previously presented to Justhavingfun at some point when he was the #1 Jefferson 5C guy and he passed on it. I do believe that coin came from the 10,000 sets.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Both of those coins came from me. The 'Gem' coin misses the lower right stairs. Please don't try to lecture me on these coins - I know everyone of them. It is not the 'single' best coin by any imagination, I never would sell them. I am actually glad you made that coin. The 64FS (first one made) is an actual 6 step coin. Whomever it was could not swing the $17K at the time, The coin is legit and on coin facts. I have a 66+ and 6 MS66' that are better and because that 65FS got graded and is the best and I will use my coins and the in hand raw photos, that you some how got, as an example.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2023 10:51PM

I’ve probably looked at the better part of well over 5,000 1968 Mint sets myself. Both my MS68 P/D clad quarters in my Registry set are probably the best in the world (ever discovered to this point). I’ve handled the best 10C as well from this year. I do not believe the 64FS 5C is a 6 stepper. JHF could have bought a $17k 5C from loose change on his desk if he wanted to. There’s a reason he passed on that coin. We discussed it in person in his office in Berkeley, CA at that time. I don’t make it a habit to badmouth other people’s coins. Won’t start now.

There’s a reason you tried the gem 65FS for gem FS designation yourself “4x” before obviously selling it off. Again, I wasn’t the buyer of that coin so I don’t recall the precise details of how it was sold or what it even sold for. What I do know is the coin is just fine for the gem FS grade holder it now resides in and is still a centerpiece of one of the greatest 5C Jefferson collections in the World last I checked.

If you (or anyone) has a MS66 or better grade 68-D 5C that is also FS, it would be worth a substantial sum of money. SHOW ME THE MONEY!! For now, my graded 65FS stands as the greatest PCGS 68-d 5C in existence, for better or worse.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2023 12:07AM

@wondercoin said:

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

It is not about money to everyone. that 65FS was on the same submission as the first 64FS, Don't blow sunshine up an ass. I agree it is a stellar coin but to purport it as finest known is utterly ridiculous. There are exactly zero people on the planet that know this date better than me. I don't enjoy a big member argument they tend to turn into no wins and all loss. I am glad your son won big on the upgrade - truly I am. I was off this forum for 20 years - I now know why.

• Options

I never suggested it is about money at all. The statement refers to potential great coins that have yet to be slabbed or recognized yet. Like an MS68 50C sitting in a 66 holder, or four or five 66 5C that one day could all be FS but haven’t been graded as such yet. Show me the money as in “show me the coin in the finest known holder”. Until then, they are, at best, just potential candidates for future greatness! And, boy do I have safe boxes filled with those types as well!

Wondercoin.

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    OT - but this coin saw my college daughter and my HS son get potty trained. She is 20 and he is 16. It sat there the entire time.

Also... I don't want to seem judgmental but that's awfully old to be potty training them.

The coin probably just sat there because it was stunned into silence.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    I cracked this M67 a couple of decades ago, I made most of the MS67's because I purchased 10K 1968 mint sets 25 years ago. It sat on a window sill for 25 years after got the PCGS MS 67. It got really good looking and just downgraded. Is getting high at PCGS ok now? This is a flat out MS68 coin,

Nice coin!!! You don't see many '68's with a clean shield and reverse.

I wondered what happened to all those '68 mint sets. B)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said: You don't see many '68's with a clean shield and reverse.

You rarely see these Kennedy's with the entire top of the shield struck/defined and an overall clean coin such as this. MS66 is laughable.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:

If you (or anyone) has a MS66 or better grade 68-D 5C that is also FS, it would be worth a substantial sum of money. SHOW ME THE MONEY!! For now, my graded 65FS stands as the greatest PCGS 68-d 5C in existence, for better or worse.

I've seen three or four very close to FS '68-S's. One of them is a solid MS-66. With magnification and just a tiny imagination you can see the steps are complete. I doubt it would grade.

But the '68-D is a bear. Nothing I've seen is even close.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:

@Clackamas1 said:
    I cracked this M67 a couple of decades ago, I made most of the MS67's because I purchased 10K 1968 mint sets 25 years ago. It sat on a window sill for 25 years after got the PCGS MS 67. It got really good looking and just downgraded. Is getting high at PCGS ok now? This is a flat out MS68 coin,

Nice coin!!! You don't see many '68's with a clean shield and reverse.

I wondered what happened to all those '68 mint sets. B)

Thanks it is a little weak on the tail feathers just to be a nit picker. I cracked it because it had there weird dark patches on the obverse when it was bright/new and just thought WTF lets just see. You can still see the dark patches, on the cheek and right below the ear. I think it was grease but so fine to as not actually fill in something and create a poor strike. Most coins have a problem hence why they are not all 70's. here is my registry MS67.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file