Home U.S. Coin Forum

Raw album preferences

Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big fan of Dansco albums as I currently have 32. Wanting to start a couple new sets but due to the Dansco manufacturing issues, I have a large number of raw coins for my intended sets sitting in 2 X 2's waiting for a permanent home. My question are the pros & cons of other manufacturers and your preferences. Been waiting on the Dansco issue to be resolved for 2+ years.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whitman
    Littleton
    Intercept

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

OAKSTAR, thank you. I read the thread prior to my post. Recently checked the Dansco website. Nothing new there. After 2+ years of waiting while purchasing coins for my intended set I've got a couple boxes of 2 X 2's accumulated. Don't really want to change but getting tired of waiting with no end in sight.

I also read the thread of a variation in hole size in the Intercept Shield album.

I hear you. There's a bunch of waiting things going on around here lately!

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge fan of Library of Coins albums. They are widely available on eBay. I've got Library of Coins Peace Dollar, Franklin Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Ike Dollar (generic dollar coin size holes) completed and am working on an LOC half dime album. Love 'em!

• TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a coin shop in Des Moines Iowa that has a hoard of Dasco albums and single pages when I visited that town in October '22. However, I cannot remember which one exactly. There are only a few coin shops in Des Moines; Capitol Coin, Coins Stamps N Stuff, Central Iowa Coin and Bullion. Definitely wasn't Christopher's Rare Coins.

I'd also look for small and partially filled albums on Proxibid too that go way cheap. I've scored some Mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, Washington quarter and Sacagawea dollar Dansco albums partially completed. The coins certainly were a side bonus but when you factor what the price of a complete Dansco albums without the coins, it was a no brainer.

I'm also partial to Dansco. Good luck!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 ... Good luck with your search... You have a lot of competition. I am not an album collector, however, a couple of years ago, when visiting my daughter in NC, we went to Wilmington. Saw a coin shop while driving around, and we stopped. Not to impressive regarding coins, but over half the store (large) was filled with stacks and stacks of albums. Never saw so many albums. I do not even recall the name of the shop, but do a google search, might be a good source. Cheers, RickO

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:
    There's a coin shop in Des Moines Iowa that has a hoard of Dasco albums and single pages when I visited that town in October '22. However, I cannot remember which one exactly. There are only a few coin shops in Des Moines; Capitol Coin, Coins Stamps N Stuff, Central Iowa Coin and Bullion. Definitely wasn't Christopher's Rare Coins.

I'd also look for small and partially filled albums on Proxibid too that go way cheap. I've scored some Mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, Washington quarter and Sacagawea dollar Dansco albums partially completed. The coins certainly were a side bonus but when you factor what the price of a complete Dansco albums without the coins, it was a no brainer.

I'm also partial to Dansco. Good luck!

Capitol coins in Des Moines was where I spent many hours as a kid going through barrels of wheat pennies, that place stoked my interest in this hobby that has lasted years. It was formerly called Coin Castle, with a castle themed asthetic to the store. They also were where bought my first Dansco back in the early 1990s. It's not the same owner but if I'm ever in the area when they are open I hope to go visit again!

I agree, during the shortage, I was buying Dansco incomplete sets on eBay and you could typically get them very cheap with a few coins in them. My 7070 even had a very circulated large cent stuck between the cardboard and the vinyl.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dansco taste. Littleton buyer. I love my Roosie album and Littleton is good about replacement plastic sleeves. My last set was free. I’m an occasional customer but didn’t purchase my albums from them. Not a problem.
    Dansco is twice the price and very nice. Twice the price and with questionable customer service. Not so sure. Littleton albums come in inexpensive push the coin into the slot types but their upper end with plastic sleeves are available and reasonably priced

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

I prefer the Danscos due to being able to view both sides. I may have to go the LOC or Littleton but I know deep down when Dansco gets back on track I'll be buying and replacing. I just love to look in my safe and see the whole top shelf of Danscos.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    I prefer the Danscos due to being able to view both sides. I may have to go the LOC or Littleton but I know deep down when Dansco gets back on track I'll be buying and replacing. I just love to look in my safe and see the whole top shelf of Danscos.

The Littleton is set up just like the dansco. view both sides. 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite is still the old Wayte Raymond and Meghrig board albums. Sometimes they are impossible to find, other times they are available, but less so every year. It wasn’t too long ago that you could still buy unused old stock from Meghrig even though they stopped producing them decades before that.

Mr_Spud

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2023 10:09PM

I like binder w Cowans pages for raw coins In 2x2 sell from my case at shows.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big fan of Dansco though I do have some from my younger days of collecting. Many Dansco albums leave a lot of blank holes on the last page. Indian Head cents and Franklin Halves come to mind. As I collector I hate empty holes in my album.
    I prefer Library of Coins as they make just the right number of holes for the series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file