Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Farthings

mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2023 11:05AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I got this set of British Farthings a few months back as a gift from my son. I broke them out of the Whitman folder they came in and sent them all off to ANACS for grading. They are a second teir grader that many don't trust, but I got the entire set at a discount during the pandemic and not they are housed nicely. They are lovely coins

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/farthings.html
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/farthings.html

I was having issues with the graphics editing software that I managed to fix up and the images are nice and bright now. I might reshoot them this week for fun

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/03_2022_anans_farthings/.cache/1024x1024-7387341_1946_farthing_0.png

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/03_2022_anans_farthings/.cache/741x1023-7387341_1946_farthing_0_slab.jpg

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/03_2022_anans_farthings/.cache/1024x1024-7387341_1946_farthing_r.png

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/03_2022_anans_farthings/.cache/742x1024-7387341_1946_farthing_r_slab.jpg

These coins never get the love they deserve from the market. It is a sweat and subtle design

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes IMHO it is one of the best designs ever in my opinion! I will have a special post later for this...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2023 5:26AM

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are a lovely type for sure! I love coins with animals on them and of course have a soft spot for the Irish barnyard series.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    edited February 14, 2023 6:43AM

tested

Images seem to be gone..

• Options

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a matte proof?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:

tested

Images seem to be gone..

On a quick look on your posts, images are not shown btw:

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

From a 1917-1956 PCGS farthing set that I’ve build a few years ago. Basically, 1917 is the last year that farthings were blackened and my example is an MS65 since grading companies do not give color designation to the blackened examples. The 40 coin set with 3 different monarchs contains some nicely toned proofs and is perhaps the only UK predecimal denomination that can still be collected for reasonable prices in RD or 90%+ RB for George V. A lot of the coins in the set came from the late Colin Cooke.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@ELuis said:

@mrbrklyn said:

tested

Seems fixed now. It is likely my fault. These are big files.

• Options

FWIW - no images on chromium from here...

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited February 14, 2023 1:15PM

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited February 14, 2023 1:52PM

• Options
    edited February 14, 2023 1:54PM

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:

=

From a 1917-1956 PCGS farthing set that I’ve build a few years ago. Basically, 1917 is the last year that farthings were blackened and my example is an MS65 since grading companies do not give color designation to the blackened examples. The 40 coin set with 3 different monarchs contains some nicely toned proofs and is perhaps the only UK predecimal denomination that can still be collected for reasonable prices in RD or 90%+ RB for George V. A lot of the coins in the set came from the late Colin Cooke.

That's really cool. Do you still have it? is it on the registry somewhere I could view it?

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for fun, the best I have ever seen, not my coin:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/7w/flne7ophrs44.jpeg "

@Clio said:

> @SYRACUSIAN said:

That's really cool. Do you still have it? is it on the registry somewhere I could view it?

It is. Unfortunately I’ve never registered it. And to think that the first 3-4 coins were bought from Teletrade, such a shame that it disappeared.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited February 16, 2023 9:10PM

• Options
    edited February 16, 2023 9:11PM

That is it, the whole set! All the Wrens.

• Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Great effort well done.
    I couldn't agree more, as a owner of over 600 farthings they become addictive. A full set of George V and George VI in RD are the ultimate sets.

• Options

George VI is feasable in 64-65RD and rather easily. George V on the other hand, the 1911-1917 are black (I only own the 1917 in MS65, no color designations on them) and the rest, often in 64-65RD and quite a lot of 65RBs with 90% red or more. The truth though is that I’ve built it rather quickly and my purchases from the late Colin Cooke were sight unseen, based on the description BU full luster that other times translated in a 64-65 RD and others at a 64-65RB with tons of red on them.

Then I added a few proofs (1950,51,53) from gmarguli, never got an 1937 MS RD (but only the proof) and I stupidly sold a terrific 1938 MS64RD that I tried to repurchase but couldn’t and got a similar grade (64 RB) for that date but with less red and eye appeal.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

I just like the Wren.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside for a few farthings that might be hiding in 20th century Proof sets, this is only farthing I have that is of any consequence.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?