Home Sports Talk

The Chiefs dynasty

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick Mahomes performance in this year's playoffs was the most impressive I've ever seen by a quarterback, after spraining his ankle against the Jaguars I thought it was over for the Chiefs, but Mahomes is no ordinary quarterback, he's Batman, and the dynasty has begun!

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 12:53PM

Like I said, Patrick Mahomes performance during these playoffs is the most impressive I've ever seen, with a sprained ankle this kid just seemed to will his team to victory time and time again, this magical 26-yard scramble last night on a bad ankle at a crucial point in the game is a prime example of that.

I've never seen anything like it, he played pretty much the entire playoffs hurt, just wouldn't quit.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon

This thread and the above comments have made your place in the Patriots Double Dynasty Empire rather shaky.

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon

This thread and the above comments have made your place in the Patriots Double Dynasty Empire rather shaky.

I'm sorry but it just fascinates me, what Mahomes did for his team this post season after getting injured is immortal, it's the stuff of legend. If Aaron Rodgers had sprained his ankle, the Packers would have lost in the first round, and Rodgers would have wanted to speak with the manager.

You're not going to joke your way out of this one, DD. You're on notice!!

It's hard to fathom, that after this, he was able to do what he did in this year's playoffs.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember a couple posters here already wrote off a chiefs dynasty before this season and were comparing the chiefs to Rodgers packers team.
    Well hold on fellas, mahomes has SB #2 and he’s 27 years old.
    Rodgers is 38 with 1 SB but does have a lot of golf trophies. 🏌️‍♂️

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    I can remember a couple posters here already wrote off a chiefs dynasty before this season and were comparing the chiefs to Rodgers packers team.

For the record, I did not do that. I am well aware of the potential of this Mahomes Chiefs dynasty ...which is why I am so wary of it. 🤣🏈

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

For the record, I did not do that. I am well aware of the potential of this Mahomes Chiefs dynasty ...which is why I am so wary of it. 🤣🏈

@Darin I am curious about something. What is the talk among Chiefs fandom regarding the future of the coaching spot. Pbviously this plays a huge role. How long do you think Reid wants to be there, and do you see him handing it off to Bieniemy?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 10:25AM

@Darin said:

That would be me 100%

I still stand by my comments until they get another.

2 is great no doubt but in my opinion 3 within a reasonable time frame 5-6 years along with championship series appearances is Dynasty talk.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon, I implore you to start a thread which asks the "Tom Brady is the GOAT" forum-base what defines that acronym. Absent that, the definition will change and the qualification required of someone to acquire that title will change over time.

For the record, I believe Tom Brady to be one of the top contenders for that title but will withhold further comment until the qualifiers have been posted.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time will tell, could be a bit of irrational exuberance IMO. No doubt Mahomes has the ability and drive to continue to excel.

I thought the KC comments during the parade were a bit on the bush league side, particularly from Kelce.

As for Brady and all the GOAT stuff, gonna be a long time before anybody, Mahomes, Burrow, anybody tops 7 SB wins and compiles that stats Brady has. He was smart, IMO, to finally hang up the helmet. And, if memory serves, the Giants won because of a very late 4th qtr td that Manning threw, otherwise, had that ball not been caught, Brady would have had 8 SB wins.

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@Darin I am curious about something. What is the talk among Chiefs fandom regarding the future of the coaching spot. Pbviously this plays a huge role. How long do you think Reid wants to be there, and do you see him handing it off to Bieniemy?

It looks like Bienemy is going to Washington as OC.
    I think he should be head coach somewhere.
    Reid will probably stay as long as his health and mahomes health is good

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

That would be me 100%

2 is great no doubt but in my opinion 3 within a reasonable time frame 5-6 years along with championship series appearances is Dynasty talk.

Mahomes goes to the Super Bowl 60% of the time so no problem it doesn’t really matter when dynasty status is official.
    Too bad Brady and the pats couldn’t continue that 5 year dynasty at the start of his career, that was a really long 9-10 year dry spell after that.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 3:21PM

Mahomes is closer to Ben Roethlisberger at this point of his career than Tom Brady especially when you consider that Brady
    ended Mahomes season twice.

All things being equal,i compared each after Mahomes 80 regular season games started and his 14 total playoff games.
    Mahomes
    2-1 SBs (lost to Brady)
    11-3 playoffs (2 of 3 losses to Tom Brady)
    64-16 regular season/80 games started (2-1 vs Brady in regular season)

Roethlisberger
    2-1 SBs
    10-4 playoffs
    57-23 regular season/80 games started

Brady
    3-0 SBs
    12-2 playoffs
    60-20 regular season/80 games started

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

That would be me 100%

Mahomes goes to the Super Bowl 60% of the time so no problem it doesn’t really matter when dynasty status is official.
    Too bad Brady and the pats couldn’t continue that 5 year dynasty at the start of his career, that was a really long 9-10 year dry spell after that.

The 9-10 year spell was a huge letdown, they had all the tools in place but just couldn't get it done, BUT from 2001 to 2007 they made it to the Super Bowl 4 times, 2008, 2009 and 2010 they were out of it, that's 3 years without a Super Bowl trip only 2 years with Brady since he was hurt in 2008

That's the first part of his HOF Career, he had another HOF Career after 2011

You can slice it and dice it any way you want, the Chiefs can be labeled a Dynasty, I don't care but they got a long ways to go with Mahomes so let's see how big the Dynasty can last for.

I don't think they will come close to the Pats but we shall see

Two SB wins and three SB appearances in this amount of time, with the same HC and QB, is a dynasty.

@thisistheshow said:
    Two SB wins and three SB appearances in this amount of time, with the same HC and QB, is a dynasty.

From what I've read over the years, teams would have to win 3 or more championships in a short amount of time to be considered a dynasty. No one was calling the Warriors a dynasty until they won their third Finals trophy(2nd w/KD) which made them 3-1 in the NBA Finals over a 4 year stretch.

I agree with showtime that 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years with a 2-1 record is a dynasty, but how about we just agree on the following statement for now while the Chiefs work on an undisputed dynasty…….

The Chiefs are an AFC west dynasty with 7 straight division titles, which you guys don’t know how happy this makes me after suffering through the Elway years and some great Raider teams through the years.
    Also they are an AFC dynasty after
    hosting 5 straight Championship games with a 3-2 record.
    So that’s fine if some don’t acknowledge an NFL dynasty yet, because it’s a work in progress.
    To quote Mahomes,
    “I have to admit I don’t know what rebuilding means. In our rebuilding year we’re world champs!”

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

From what I've read over the years, teams would have to win 3 or more championships in a short amount of time to be considered a dynasty. No one was calling the Warriors a dynasty until they won their third Finals trophy(2nd w/KD) which made them 3-1 in the NBA Finals over a 4 year stretch.

I forgot to add that the 90's Cowboys and 00's Pats were called Dynasties for winning 3 SBs in 4 years. This later Pats run in 2010's was going 3-1 over a 5yr stretch.

@Darin said:
    I agree with showtime that 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years with a 2-1 record is a dynasty, but how about we just agree on the following statement for now while the Chiefs work on an undisputed dynasty…….

The Chiefs are an AFC west dynasty with 7 straight division titles, which you guys don’t know how happy this makes me after suffering through the Elway years and some great Raider teams through the years.
    Also they are an AFC dynasty after
    hosting 5 straight Championship games with a 3-2 record.
    So that’s fine if some don’t acknowledge an NFL dynasty yet, because it’s a work in progress.
    To quote Mahomes,
    “I have to admit I don’t know what rebuilding means. In our rebuilding year we’re world champs!”

Your guys are well on their way there, don't pay any anttention to us Pats fans trying to slow you down on the way lol.
    Next up Mahomie needs to win b2b SBs. 😎😎

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

maybe I was being too generous. lol If it isn't a dynasty it is pretty dominant nonetheless

Thanks for the link. I read the article.

Yes, there were many naysayers. I was not among them, but I do know of them. By law I must look at this through my Patriots fan lense, but I do so not to bend the truth but rather to understand it.

Bear with me now...

When the first piece of the Patriots double dynasty got bubbling, let's say after they won it for the second time, I am quite sure there were many Patriots players and fans who both felt and expressed through the media that they had now proven the doubters wrong.

However, if I'm being honest, I don't see the makeup of the teams or their situations as being so similar that this second win will now undoubtedly translate into a third.

Though, as I said before, I was never one of the naysayers. So I think there is very good chance and if I had to pick a team, right, to win it all next year...Chiefs.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow - Even though my post was immediately after yours, I was not intending for my post to imply that I was calling you out. I know you've often had positive comments to say about the Chiefs, in general, and Mahomes, specifically. It's just interesting, as per the article in the link, how so many people have forgotten just how much they dismissed the Chiefs chances. And not only in the national media, but here on this forum. Plus, I mostly post my links about the Chiefs solely for the benefit of @Darin, by chance I come across some interesting stuff that he hasn't seen.

Count- I appreciate you posting those articles. I’m glad that story had the definition of gaslighting because I’ll admit I didn’t know what it meant. I do remember before the season Ovlesky picked Denver to win the division. Many of the talking heads picked the Raiders and some the Chargers. So many didn’t even pick KC in the division let alone AFC champs or SB champs. So Kelce is correct there were many naysayers and the Chiefs are simply calling them out for being wrong.
    I remember Rich Eisen even apologized for doubting the Chiefs after the SB and said he would never doubt them again.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

Denver and the Raiders were probably the biggest surprises this season, I don't think anyone really thought they would be as bad as they were.

The Chargers did what expected them to do and that's fall short of the championship game.

I didn't count KC out but I sure as heck didn't think they would win it all either

To me next year shapes up to be very interesting in the AFC. I think all the pressure is on the Bills, Bengals and maybe Chargers. Their hotshot QB’s have exactly 0 SB wins with only 1 appearance by Burrow and the Bengals.
    Like it or not for the elite QB’s their career success will be judged on getting to and winning SB’s.
    Even though they’re all still young the clock is ticking and it’s…..

Mahomes 2
    Burrow 0
    Allen 0
    Herbert 0
    Lawrence 0

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 8:16AM

@Darin said:
    To me next year shapes up to be very interesting in the AFC. I think all the pressure is on the Bills, Bengals and maybe Chargers. Their hotshot QB’s have exactly 0 SB wins with only 1 appearance by Burrow and the Bengals.
    Like it or not for the elite QB’s their career success will be judged on getting to and winning SB’s.

Mahomes 2
    Burrow 0
    Allen 0
    Herbert 0
    Lawrence 0

Good post, Darin. I can't disagree with any of it......except this!...Cincinnati has been a horrible team for a long time. Burrow has brought that franchise back to life and now they are competitive. The Bengals lost the Super Bowl last year because of poor coaching. The Rams pulled off their patented late 4th quarter winning defensive play that they used ALL season long......I saw it coming!.....Lawrence is also playing on a team that has been in the dumps....He has brought them back......Herbert's problems are that he plays for the Chargers....again.....terrible coaching. The Chargers are a cinch to lose at the end of the game.....they always do...bad coaches.....Loser franchise. And Allen?....It's the Buffalo curse........

The AFC is loaded with terrific young QB's! All 5 of those guys you mentioned...... I love it!.....But, only one can be the best......and he plays for K.C.! Cut the boys some slack!

@Darin said:

Mahomes 2
    Burrow 0
    Allen 0
    Herbert 0
    Lawrence 0

Now you are the one doing the gaslighting @Darin. You know dang well that the real pressure is on your boys to win another one , or at least go to the SB, so as to solidify this dynasty thing. 🤣😂🙃

Hydrant you bring up some good points. Mahomes was definitely in the best situation coming into the NFL as the Chiefs had won the division the year before he arrived and his rookie year when he only played the last game of the season.
    So he was off and running on a good team right from the start. Then he took KC to the next level. He still gives a lot of credit to AlexSmith for learning so much from him during mahomes rookie year.

I agree with you about the Chargers having terrible coaching. I’ve mentioned it several times and I really thought they would bring in a new head coach next year but I guess not.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

Mahomes 2
    Burrow 0
    Allen 0
    Herbert 0
    Lawrence 0

Now you are the one doing the gaslighting @Darin. You know dang well that the real pressure is on your boys to win another one , or at least go to the SB, so as to solidify this dynasty thing. 🤣😂🙃

Okay you got me 😗

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I’ve mentioned it several times and I really thought they would bring in a new head coach next year but I guess not.

New coach or not, it wouldn't matter one iota. You can always count on Chargers being Chargers.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 7:25PM

Chiefs dynasty? I hope not.

I never cared for the Manning brothers because they always played for teams that opposed my favorite teams. Ditto Mahomes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@countdouglas said:
    @thisistheshow - Even though my post was immediately after yours, I was not intending for my post to imply that I was calling you out. I know you've often had positive comments to say about the Chiefs, in general, and Mahomes, specifically. It's just interesting, as per the article in the link, how so many people have forgotten just how much they dismissed the Chiefs chances. And not only in the national media, but here on this forum. Plus, I mostly post my links about the Chiefs solely for the benefit of @Darin, by chance I come across some interesting stuff that he hasn't seen.

I knew you ween't calling me out. I was just re-iterating my position. I have kept a keen, honest eye on the Mahomes Chiefs because the Patriots (double) dynasty is what I love and what i hope always remains the gold standard.