Home U.S. Coin Forum

1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent: Real or Fake?

2»

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a couple of instances on ebay where a buyer said they wanted to return the item but would keep it for a partial refund. Never gave the refund and never got the refund. I just had my 4th ever actual return on its way in 20 years. Is what it is.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I have had a couple of instances on ebay where a buyer said they wanted to return the item but would keep it for a partial refund. Never gave the refund and never got the refund. I just had my 4th ever actual return on its way in 20 years. Is what it is.
    Jim

Sounds familiar. The "I'll keep it for a partial refund" thing is usually just a back door attempt to renegotiate price after the fact. We've had it happen a few times. We tell them to either return or keep, but no partial refunds. Similar results-they usually keep it but there is the occasional return.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • JohnPhiloponusJohnPhiloponus Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

I got the 1793 back today. The color/contrast is the same as when sent (and as above). PCGS has not uploaded the true view pic yet. I will post as soon as it is available.

Last month I saw a 1794 large cent for sale that had the same colors, and my son also has a couple from a later date that also do.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the unusual color devalues the coin? It has an interesting history, and I do have the documentation that shows varnish on the coin, yet, as we all know, many like original surfaces.

The coin was certified as G Details, Cleaned.

One final note: although I requested coin restoration, PCGS did not charge me for this service. Generally I have had good luck with them being conservative in performing services and charging fees.

Collector of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and George VI Canadian; and most anything U.S. I am currently looking for early Lincolns, raw in XF or better.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2023 10:55AM

It's shocking how many people said it was a fake before real techical analysis was done, even on a six figure coin.

Is this a link to the coin? https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/half-cents/flowing-hair-large-cent/type-2-wreath-cent/657

I'm curious what they are charging on this submission.

edited May 15, 2023 11:06AM

That link is to the correct coin. 1793 wreath, Vine and Bars.
    The fee was $70 Express + $10 handling + shipping w/$2,000 insurance.

Collector of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and George VI Canadian; and most anything U.S. I am currently looking for early Lincolns, raw in XF or better.

edited May 15, 2023 11:23AM

Here are some photos of Peter Bush's analysis at SUNY Buffalo. Jewelry was suggested earlier in the thread, which I suggested to Peter, which is why he tried doing an x-ray map. C=Carbon (varnish), and Cu=copper.

Peter said the x-ray map is about 2 microns deep, which would explain the color difference in the Cu map. Part of the map picked up a micron or so of varnish and a micron of copper, while the other part picked up about 2 microns of copper.

The x-ray map was done of Lady Liberty's nose.

There are two later large cents (can't remember the dates) that are holed, with the same coloring. I believe all three coins were pulled from circulation, cleaned, and coated with varnish. The contrast in colors was due varnish being worn off the high points (either intentional, or through occasional wear), and later oxidation of the high points. The holed ones were probably put on a bracelet, while the 1793 was put in a bezel and worn on a neckless.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnPhiloponus said:
    I got the 1793 back today. The color/contrast is the same as when sent (and as above).

One final note: although I requested coin restoration, PCGS did not charge me for this service. Generally I have had good luck with them being conservative in performing services and charging fees.

It's possible they decided there's nothing they could do to improve the appearance of your coin which is why it looks the same and they didn't charge you anything.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@JohnPhiloponus said:

I'm surprised that it did not go through high value walkthrough if it is really worth six figures. But details coins are rarely in the population figures at PCGS or NGC.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2023 1:10PM

@logger7 said:

@JohnPhiloponus said:

I'm surprised that it did not go through high value walkthrough if it is really worth six figures. But details coins are rarely in the population figures at PCGS or NGC.

Six figures??
    I think the $2k insurance was pretty close.
    It’s the most common wreath cent, in a Good details holder.
    I’m into this for under $2k, and it’s a tougher variety:

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

The same coin, PCGS Good details w/corrosion went for about $1,500 not too long ago.

@JohnPhiloponus said:
    The same coin, PCGS Good details w/corrosion went for about $1,500 not too long ago.

Oops, I mistook for the strawberry leaf.

@logger7 said:

@JohnPhiloponus said:

Oops, I mistook for the strawberry leaf.

That would have been a real sweet find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

never let someone talk you into cutting a slice into your coin tell them to cut a slice from theirs first

man if that was the strawberry vine variant it would be super valuable like 100k in p01

• SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2023 1:38PM

Awesome coin, again who makes the calls on the weight?
    For the two books one might find out, one says they can be overweight and or underweight, when I asked Roger he explained about the rollers and sometimes the settings would become loose over time resulting in coins underweight even passed 13grams.
    Thanks all
    Thanks for sharing

vine and bars you can tell by the direction of the first leaf under liberty is pointing nice

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see this thread resolved with a success story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file