Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

new addition to my box of 20 $20

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2023 11:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

i have a box of twenty going. they are all ogh $20.

my goal is to collect:

• all mint marks
  • one from first year of issue through each decade including all types (1, 2, 3, no motto, motto, etc)
  • civil war dates
  • a centennial
  • a ship wreck coin
  • and other interesting pieces. no paquet though... :-(

i have 15 coins now and going strong!

if you have a twenty you want to share in ogh, post it!

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 4:45PM

@steveben said:
    i have a box of twenty going. they are all ogh $20. my goal is to have all mint marks, one from first year of issue through each decade including all types (1, 2, 3, no motto, motto, etc), civil war dates, a centennial, a ship wreck coin, and other interesting pieces. no paquet though... :-( i have 15 coins now and going strong!

Nice goal for a collection!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I really wish I had put aside some Double Eagles a few years ago when they were cheaper. Congratulations.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 6:33PM

Looks like an excellent example of perhaps the most beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I am doing a similar project with Seated Dollars...Buying several from each of the 4 decades that they were produced. Trying to get at least 3 mint marks. Also, buying Civil war era, Reconstruction era and at least one proof. I am currently up to 7 examples. So, 3 more and I'll be halfway there.

care to share an example? sounds like a awesome project.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Very nice. I really wish I had put aside some Double Eagles a few years ago when they were cheaper. Congratulations.

thanks! yeah, i wanted to start a set of $20, but figured i would not be able to afford it. then, i decided to trade up coins and just take my time...keep looking for the right pieces and opportunities. i used to have fives, but sold the last two just recently as part of getting this coin. one of the keys to this game is patience, i have learned.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition Steveben.

My Box o' $20 began with a MS63 CAC version...

...the 20 have been paired down to 5 to make room for a different lineup. I still have HR.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... nice addition. That's a piece of art.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to look at and smile

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love your NEWP and love the concept. Gold in OGHs is the best!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 7:22AM

@steveben said:

@Walkerfan said:
    I am doing a similar project with Seated Dollars...Buying several from each of the 4 decades that they were produced. Trying to get at least 3 mint marks. Also, buying Civil war era, Reconstruction era and at least one proof. I am currently up to 7 examples. So, 3 more and I'll be halfway there.

care to share an example? sounds like a awesome project.

Here’s what I have so far:

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben .... WOW!! Now that is an impressive box of 20... Gold is just my favorite.. specifically, big gold.... Look forward to seeing more of your collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool way to collect $20! I once put together a set of Liberties and St. Gaudens from all mints. Eight coins in all. They look great in a Capital Plastics holder.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning, congrats! If I just could have one and only one more coin, this is it.

• Options

@DDR said:
    Cool way to collect $20! I once put together a set of Liberties and St. Gaudens from all mints. Eight coins in all. They look great in a Capital Plastics holder.

would love to see a photo if you have one to share

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! I love your idea of a box of 20 20's, and the principle you've outlined for yours. There's something awfully compelling and authoritative about those big old gold pieces. They kind of eclipse everything else in a collection.

mirabela
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben - Unfortunately, no photo at the moment. The set is currently in my SDB. I'll take a photo next time I visit my coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file