Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Huge PSA Screw Up!

Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am so pissed off at PSA! I sent a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10 into PSA for Crossover grading. I set the minimum Grade of 9 as a condition for PSA to be able to remove the card from the PRO holder. A few days before I sent the card to PSA somebody offered me $1175 on eBay but I felt it was worth a lot more. Anyway, I just got the card back from PSA and it didn’t crossover to the minimum grade of 9 that I specified but PSA removed the card from the PRO holder and sent it back raw! I am beyond livid!!!! I have a call into PSA and unless somehow they make good on their bumbling error and reimburse me for their damage (at least $1175) I called PSA Customer service and left a a voicemail and I am waiting for a call back.

Comments

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

Ouch ,that sucks.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to calling I'd definitely set up a complaint through the Customer Request Center link on your Account page. I've never had luck with them returning phone calls, but they'll respond via email on the CRC.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    1. What grade did it come back with?
    2. You sure you put a min grade on the submission, did you click the link to see that it is actually in there on the submission form that got generated?
  • Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    1. What grade did it come back with?
    2. You sure you put a min grade on the submission, did you click the link to see that it is actually in there on the submission form that got generated?

YES!!!!

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    In addition to calling I'd definitely set up a complaint through the Customer Request Center link on your Account page. I've never had luck with them returning phone calls, but they'll respond via email on the CRC.

Besides calling them I sent them an email with a lot of documentation including screen shots. I insisted that they escalate this to the top of management!

• Options

I'll second that. Personally, I'd be surprised if it came back an 8, if they graded it at all. Any card in a PRO holder is a very risky proposition.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

~this is a likely issue when as a company you have to hire hundreds of workers b/c you cannot handle the capacity..... PSA created this and I surmise they have many graders who are not qualified to even grade a card.

• Options

@PhilsFan2008 said:
    I'll second that. Personally, I'd be surprised if it came back an 8, if they graded it at all. Any card in a PRO holder is a very risky proposition.

You are missing the point. They screwed up and I am sure if it happened to you you would be pissed as hell!

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. Pro 10 just sold for 950.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:
    I am so pissed off at PSA! I sent a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10 into PSA for Crossover grading. I set the minimum Grade of 9 as a condition for PSA to be able to remove the card from the PRO holder. A few days before I sent the card to PSA somebody offered me $1175 on eBay but I felt it was worth a lot more. Anyway, I just got the card back from PSA and it didn’t crossover to the minimum grade of 9 that I specified but PSA removed the card from the PRO holder! I am beyond livid!!!! I have a call into PSA and unless somehow they make good on their bumbling error and reimburse me for their damage (at least $1175) I am going to get a lawyer involved! I called PSA Customer service and left a a voicemail and I am waiting for a call back.

That happened to me but it was a PSA holder!! I asked to grade the auto but set the auto minimum to 10..as i didnt want the card to be removed from the case unless the cards auto was a 10...guess what..the card didnt make the 10 auto but they removed the 3 cards that were mint 9 grade !!! I freaked out when i received the cards out of the case...i sent them back and they reholdered..them but they messed up again !!! They came all auto 9 when i had set them auto 10 minimum..lol..at point i was happy with mint 9 auto 9 ..as they had been out of the holder 😃
    But yours is a pro so i am curious whats going to happen here 🫣

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some nice high dollar cards in pro holders. But almost all crossovers are a waste of time and money. It helps them make the other grading companies look bad. The big question is why in the World did PSA crack it out of the holder? They better make it right. Not like they cant afford it.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited February 10, 2023 10:12PM

@coolstanley said:
    I have some nice high dollar cards in pro holders. But almost all crossovers are a waste of time and money. It helps them make the other grading companies look bad. The big question is why in the World did PSA crack it out of the holder? They better make it right. Not like they cant afford it.

I sent an email with documentation and spoke to somebody at PSA today and read the riot act to them. They know that I mean business. I asked them to escalate this to the highest level of command. Somebody is supposed to get back to me within 3-4 days. I asked them to get back sooner since they screwed up big time.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

I sent an email with documentation and spoke to somebody at PSA today and read the riot act to them. They know that I mean business. I asked them to escalate this to the highest level of command. Somebody is supposed to get back to me within 3-4 days. I asked them to get back sooner since they screwed up big time.

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

The

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@coolstanley said:

The riot act ? 🤣🤣

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:
    I am so pissed off at PSA! I sent a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10 into PSA for Crossover grading. I set the minimum Grade of 9 as a condition for PSA to be able to remove the card from the PRO holder. A few days before I sent the card to PSA somebody offered me $1175 on eBay but I felt it was worth a lot more. Anyway, I just got the card back from PSA and it didn’t crossover to the minimum grade of 9 that I specified but PSA removed the card from the PRO holder! I am beyond livid!!!! I have a call into PSA and unless somehow they make good on their bumbling error and reimburse me for their damage (at least $1175) I am going to get a lawyer involved! I called PSA Customer service and left a a voicemail and I am waiting for a call back.

That happened to me but it was a PSA holder!! I asked to grade the auto but set the auto minimum to 10..as i didnt want the card to be removed from the case unless the cards auto was a 10...guess what..the card didnt make the 10 auto but they removed the 3 cards that were mint 9 grade !!! I freaked out when i received the cards out of the case...i sent them back and they reholdered..them but they messed up again !!! They came all auto 9 when i had set them auto 10 minimum..lol..at point i was happy with mint 9 auto 9 ..as they had been out of the holder 😃
    But yours is a pro so i am curious whats going to happen here 🫣

“guess what..the card didnt make the 10 auto but they removed the 3 cards that were mint 9 grade !!! I freaked out when i received the cards out of the case.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    If you weren’t a Yankees fan I’d feel bad for you.

That's harsh bro!! :p

Daniel
  • Options

That is rough. I'd be so disappointed too.

You may also want to send Nat a tweet and see if he replies. He's fairly active on Twitter and responds to people.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

You may also want to send Nat a tweet and see if he replies. He's fairly active on Twitter and responds to people.

Who is Nat?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Who is Nat?

The Boss.

Mike
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2023 12:18PM

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

I asked PSA for the $1175 I was offered by a buyer on eBay 15 minutes after I listed the PRO Gem Mint 10. I think I could have gotten much more. I also asked to be reimbursed for the grading fee and shipping costs since they damaged my property. They are insured and should honor my request since they royally screwed up. The guy I talked to at PSA Customer Service said that he would be pissed off too. This is the first time I have sent a card to PSA for grading in more than 8 years and I won’t send one in again unless they make this right.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would reach out to Nat on IG or twitter. He will respond. I had a buddy crack out a PSA Jerry Rice PSA 8 to get auto'd. When he sent it back after getting it signed by Rice. It came back miscut. He reached out to Nat on IG. My buddy kept his pictures of the card before the crack out in which he sent into Nat. The end of the story the card was back in an 8 holder after speaking to Nat.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2023 12:51PM

@BPorter26 said:
    I would reach out to Nat on IG or twitter. He will respond. I had a buddy crack out a PSA Jerry Rice PSA 8 to get auto'd. When he sent it back after getting it signed by Rice. It came back miscut. He reached out to Nat on IG. My buddy kept his pictures of the card before the crack out in which he sent into Nat. The end of the story the card was back in an 8 holder after speaking to Nat.

Thanks for the information. I think that first I will see if they honor my request. If not, I will definitely talk to Nate. Either they reimburse me or buy me another PRO Gem Mint 10 on the open market. I will also settle for a PSA 9. By destroying the PRO Gem Mint 10 holder they let the mad genie out of the bottle.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

I asked PSA for the $1175 I was offered by a buyer on eBay 15 minutes after I listed the PRO Gem Mint 10.

Umm, you don't get that, you get whatever you put down as the declared value at most IF that is deemed to truly be the value. (which is another exercise!)

What did you put as the declared value?

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 2:01PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

I asked PSA for the $1175 I was offered by a buyer on eBay 15 minutes after I listed the PRO Gem Mint 10.

Umm, you don't get that, you get whatever you put down as the declared value at most IF that is deemed to truly be the value. (which is another exercise!)

What did you put as the declared value?

I put down $1400 as Declared Value in case it was graded higher so I am actually giving PSA a bargain.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Certainly upset, but getting a lawyer - you're throwing your money away by doing that. No offense to lawyers, but aren't we talking about a few hundred dollars here?

Cooler and rational usually gets results. Documentation is vital. You setting the time frame doesn't help your case.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

@mcolney1 said:
    Certainly upset, but getting a lawyer - you're throwing your money away by doing that. No offense to lawyers, but aren't we talking about a few hundred dollars here?

Cooler and rational usually gets results. Documentation is vital. You setting the time frame doesn't help your case.

Well, it’s more than $1300 if include grading costs so it’s more than a few hundred. Hopefully PSA will make it right to my satisfaction.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

You still have the card, though… PSA can’t give you the value of the card unless you surrender it to them, otherwise you could pocket their cash, send it to any grading company, then sell it and double dip.

I’ve never experienced your situation and it’s unfortunate, but isn’t that a risk that you’re taking? I find it hard to believe that anyone can fully evaluate an encased card - it might have looked like a 9 so they busted it out but then noticed a flaw and couldn’t slab it. There could probably be some reimbursement to you when the return the card in that case, but I don’t know PSA’s ToS for crack outs. But I doubt they absolutely positively guarantee all crack outs will be slabbed. Yours might have been that rare instance where a flaw couldn’t be seen in the PRO case.

Jim

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 2:53PM

@burghman said:
    You still have the card, though… PSA can’t give you the value of the card unless you surrender it to them, otherwise you could pocket their cash, send it to any grading company, then sell it and double dip.

I’ve never experienced your situation and it’s unfortunate, but isn’t that a risk that you’re taking? I find it hard to believe that anyone can fully evaluate an encased card - it might have looked like a 9 so they busted it out but then noticed a flaw and couldn’t slab it. There could probably be some reimbursement to you when the return the card in that case, but I don’t know PSA’s ToS for crack outs. But I doubt they absolutely positively guarantee all crack outs will be slabbed. Yours might have been that rare instance where a flaw couldn’t be seen in the PRO case.

Yes I would send back the card. Please see PSA’s policy regarding grading cross overs below.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 2:55PM

I know that description, but that’s not the Terms of Service (https://www.psacard.com/termsandconditions ). And I stand by my original statement - if there’s something that can’t be seen in the other slab that becomes apparent when it’s cracked out, we can’t reasonably expect PSA to throw it in a 9 holder. Sure, PSA should probably provide some relief for cracking it out - probably equivalent to grading fees and shipping costs - but they didn’t damage the card, so there’s no reason for them to think you couldn’t resubmit it to a grading company and get a grade that would return your original declared value (if assigned accurately). Expecting $1400 and the card isn’t realistic, and paying for a lawyer would likely cost you more than any reasonable relief from PSA.

Jim

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 3:05PM

@burghman said:
    I know that description, but that’s not the Terms of Service (https://www.psacard.com/termsandconditions ). And I stand by my original statement - if there’s something that can’t be seen in the other slab that becomes apparent when it’s cracked out, we can’t reasonably expect PSA to throw it in a 9 holder. Sure, PSA should probably provide some relief for cracking it out - probably equivalent to grading fees and shipping costs - but they didn’t damage the card, so there’s no reason for them to think you couldn’t resubmit it to a grading company and get a grade that would return your original declared value (if assigned accurately). Expecting $1400 and the card isn’t realistic, and paying for a lawyer would likely cost you more than any reasonable relief from PSA.

We shall see. Where does the Terms of Service say that for a crossover they are entitled to break the holder of another grading company if the minimum grade isn’t established? In bold face print right on their website in several places it says that they won’t.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 3:06PM

I don’t know if it says it, but it clearly says they’ll reimburse you the value that they assign to the card only if they damage or lose it. Neither happened, so it’s a gray area. I hope it works out for you.

Jim

• Options

I think it's kind of dodgy for them to evaluate a card, determine it can proceed to be crossed over, and then decide it can't after cracking it out. The cracking out is the point of no return IMO.

I'm not sure if PSA has a policy around this, but I feel if looks good enough to crossover and gets cracked out, they need to re-holder it. Chances are whatever microscopic blemish that can be noticed only outside the holder will not be noticeable once it is re-slabbed anyway.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I still can’t tell if this guy is for real. :D

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    I think it's kind of dodgy for them to evaluate a card, determine it can proceed to be crossed over, and then decide it can't after cracking it out. The cracking out is the point of no return IMO.

I'm not sure if PSA has a policy around this, but I feel if looks good enough to crossover and gets cracked out, they need to re-holder it. Chances are whatever microscopic blemish that can be noticed only outside the holder will not be noticeable once it is re-slabbed anyway.

Yeah, that might be another possibility. There is a tiny red dot on the card which is common on these cards. Other than that it looks perfect to my naked eye. i am hoping that PSA will offer to put it in a PSA 9 holder as a solution.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:
    I don’t know if it says it, but it clearly says they’ll reimburse you the value that they assign to the card only if they damage or lose it. Neither happened, so it’s a gray area. I hope it works out for you.

I agree. If they didn’t damage it then you still get the same card back. Theoretically it’s the same condition and can get the same grade again. The best I’d expect is some percentage of value as compensation for the mix up and hassle. No way I’d expect any company to pay a fee for a past offer that’s higher than the value and give the card back.

Maybe you’d get that price but they’ll keep the card.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 3:33PM

@burghman said “I agree. If they didn’t damage it then you still get the same card back. Theoretically it’s the same condition and can get the same grade again. The best I’d expect is some percentage of value as compensation for the mix up and hassle. No way I’d expect any company to pay a fee for a past offer that’s higher than the value and give the card back. Maybe you’d get that price but they’ll keep the card.”

If I get the price I have no problem with giving the card back. I would expect that!

• Options

It was so nice of PSA to give me back the PRO Gem Mint 10 label even though they destroyed the holder! 😜

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 4:42PM

Was it assigned a numerical grade or was it returned ungraded? If the latter, was it minsize, trimmed, or another area of concern?

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Sorry to hear that because there aren't really many high dollar cards in PRO holders. They were a complete sham for trimmed and over graded cards. The cards are probably not as high dollar as you think :(. many people have fallen victim to this phenomenon

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@coolstanley said:

Sorry to hear that because there aren't really many high dollar cards in PRO holders. They were a complete sham for trimmed and over graded cards. The cards are probably not as high dollar as you think :(. many people have fallen victim to this phenomenon

I guess its what you consider 'high dollar.' Yes I agree with the trimmed cards. But there are also alot of trimmed cards in PSA holders as well.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 6:03PM

After taking a better look at the two listings,they might be real copies but trimmed. Usually the first signs that its a fake copy is the top right and bottom left corners. I chose two random PSA graded copies below to compare them to:
    1. Top Right corner of the backboard should show some sky right in the corner of the card. See the PSA cards below then compare to the Pro above. NOTE that a real copy could have this edge trimmed cutting off that little speck of sky.
    2. Bottom left corner on copies usually have some of the skyscrapers in the skyline cutdown NOTE these are close to being even when zoomed in.

Without seeing the two PRO copies in hand I honestly can't say if they were definitely fake but where the right edge looks trimmed on both I'd say that there's a very good chance that they are fake.

Here's a comment I posted elsewhere ahile back that gives you more details and a youtube video where someone opened two sealed 1985 Nike sets that one was real and the other fake. He'll show you pretty much what I typed on the BO link.
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=16318679&postcount=45
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzv5werEuC4

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

If the story is as stated, PSA was in the wrong. If the declared value was $1400, that is the basis to go by in making the customer whole. However, the problem is that PSA did not grade the card, so I am not sure if the declared value would apply. However, if it was a far lower grade than the customer estimated it to be, it's not like PSA refunds the excess in grading fees, so maybe $1400 is a basis point. Since it was PSA in error, they might have to give the declared value the benefit of the doubt. It's not like the customer just came up with the value, there was skin in the game. The higher the declared value, the grading fees are higher too.

It's not a straightforward case, but getting a lawyer involved deeper than some kind of warning letter is not going to be cost effective. What is the point of winning a case when you spend more money on legal services and fees than actually gaining on damages paid out. With all due respect to lawyers, the money involved in this particular case does not warrant one apart from maybe a brief consultation. Small Claims court would be the route for this if one is that serious with the time to spare.

Overall, a trustworthy company needs to resolve these disputes quickly as it is costly the more time passes. No one got hurt, no sentimental item at play, it was an unintentional mistake by a company, so no reason to hold back on anything. Just make the customer whole according to policy and be done with it.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@burghman said:

I agree. If they didn’t damage it then you still get the same card back. Theoretically it’s the same condition and can get the same grade again. The best I’d expect is some percentage of value as compensation for the mix up and hassle. No way I’d expect any company to pay a fee for a past offer that’s higher than the value and give the card back.

Maybe you’d get that price but they’ll keep the card.

If I get the price I have no problem giving the card back. I would expect that!

@erikthredd said:

After taking a better look at the two listings,they might be real copies but trimmed. Usually the first signs that its a fake copy is the top right and bottom left corners. I chose two random PSA graded copies below to compare them to:
    1. Top Right corner of the backboard should show some sky right in the corner of the card. See the PSA cards below then compare to the Pro above. NOTE that a real copy could have this edge trimmed cutting off that little speck of sky.
    2. Bottom left corner on copies usually have some of the skyscrapers in the skyline cutdown NOTE these are close to being even when zoomed in.

Without seeing the two PRO copies in hand I honestly can't say if they were definitely fake but where the right edge looks trimmed on both I'd say that there's a very good chance that they are fake.

Here's a comment I posted elsewhere ahile back that gives you more details and a youtube video where someone opened two sealed 1985 Nike sets that one was real and the other fake. He'll show you pretty much what I typed on the BO link.
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=16318679&postcount=45
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzv5werEuC4

I know it’s real because 20 years ago I bought 5 sets of 1985 Nike cards from the SAME buyer! I sent 3 Jordan cards to PSA and 2 to PRO. 1 came back a PSA 9, 2 came back a PSA 8, I a PRO 10 and the last came back a PRO 9. Why did I send some to PSA and some to PRO? Because I was a freaking novice back then and new to collecting, the PRO fees were quite a bit cheaper and I figured that I could always do a cross over. Little did I know the problem I would encounter on the first card I sent to PSA for grading in many years!

• Options

I know it’s real because 20 years ago I bought 5 sets of 1985 Nike cards from the SAME buyer! I sent 3 Jordan cards to PSA and 2 to PRO. 1 came back a PSA 9, 2 came back a PSA 8, I a PRO 10 and the last came back a PRO 9. Why did I send some to PSA and some to PRO? Because I was a freaking novice back then and new to collecting, the PRO fees were quite a bit cheaper and I figured that I could always do a cross over. Little did I know the problem I would encounter on the first card I sent to PSA for grading in many years!

This discussion has been closed.