Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004 P Nickel 1803 Louisiana Purchase

Was wondering what would cause the coloring on this coin? I don't know the terms yet. I only found one coin on Ebay that looked like this but it was a quarter for $450. or so.

Comments

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2023 6:23AM

Im no expert, but it looks like it was a coin on the end of a roll of coins. They are exposed to the air and oxidation occurs which causes toning.

Toning gives it that color, sometimes it can be a rainbow effect of many colors.

I think the rolled paper reacts with the metal, thats why the reverse has that darker brown ring on it.

Thats my best guess, those with more knowledge will chime in

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage (dark tarnish), caused by circulation/storage conditions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It probably spent some time buried and then was found and partially cleaned up. It has no numismatic premium. Don't pay attention to such eBay listings.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

2 strikes in a row. LOL...thanks for the new information. I did not know that about coins. It does look kind of cool. But I will throw it in a coin jar. I will be throwing coins up on the board and will document them based on responses so I don't make the mistake again. You guys are cool for helping out a newbie. I am sure to find something that is a winner. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file