Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Ultimate Black Label

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

The description from Legend

Here is a major piece of modern numismatic history. After PCGS launched in 1986, John Albanese began NGC in 1987. The first generation of NGC holder was distinct from the holders we are used to today. The insert surrounding the coin was black, which provided a dramatic "pop" for untoned silver and gold coins; it proved unpopular for copper or dark coins. Used only for a few months, before switching to a white insert. The label likewise was placed on the reverse side of holder, with the NGC emblem above the coin on the black plastic insert. Today, these are incredibly RARE. Our consignor's extensive and exhaustive research, suggests that approximately 350 - 400 coins were encapsulated in these holders roughly the last week of August, first week of September 1987. Perhaps the most avidly sought holder among "slab collectors".

1913 Barber Dime

Comments

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I thought you meant the Vault Box holders

  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This also has the distinction of being the first coin CAC stickered with the reverse of the coin showing the decal.

    peacockcoins

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The label is white, so the thread title is all wrong.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @gumby1234 said:
    The label is white, so the thread title is all wrong.

    Depends on which side you are viewing. There are those who prefer to look at a coin without seeing the grade first thing.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    I don't drink, but I thought of this-

    Is that a subtle hint?

  • Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I saw something similar recently on the silver eagles. It does make them pop.


    Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Lakesammman said:
    I used to own what JA called the "Grandaddy of all black label holders" - should have kept it.

    I remember that one! What a coin...

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    I don't drink, but I thought of this-

    The breakfast of champions (not)

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There was an article in Coin World about the first-generation NGC black slabs a few years ago and they estimated that fewer than 200 have survived. At the time, these slabs were very unpopular with dealers because the label was on the back of the slab which made displaying them in a case at a show awkward and most were soon sent back to be reholdered.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    There was an article in Coin World about the first-generation NGC black slabs a few years ago and they estimated that fewer than 200 have survived. At the time, these slabs were very unpopular with dealers because the label was on the back of the slab which made displaying them in a case at a show awkward and most were soon sent back to be reholdered.

    Since you can put the coin in either way, is there take a front or back? A lot of people like certain coins with the reverse up.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Saw a couple of these years ago at coin shows in the PNW... Never got one, not interested in the coins they held.... I did like the look of them though... I would certainly prefer them over the clear plastic we see today. Cheers, RickO

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DisneyFan said:

    @TomB said:
    I don't drink, but I thought of this-

    Is that a subtle hint?

    Only when I open a long-dead thread that @OAKSTAR has brought up for apparently no reason.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Whomever decided that the label should be on the reverse wasn't thinking about how collectors and dealers display their coins...but they unintentionally created a collectible.


    RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When JA started NGC he felt that collectors/buyers would benefit from seeing the coin and guessing the grade before turning the slab over to the reverse side and seeing the grade. . At that time, nearly all coins being sold were still raw.

    He found out quickly that the majority did not like this approach.

    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NGC's recent legacy black labels for mint-issued coins are very nice. I wish they would bring them back as an option. Gold looks awesome in them.

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @oreville said:
    When JA started NGC he felt that collectors/buyers would benefit from seeing the coin and guessing the grade before turning the slab over to the reverse side and seeing the grade. . At that time, nearly all coins being sold were still raw.

    He found out quickly that the majority did not like this approach.

    I understand that NGC's marketing firm had an expert who said the NGC logo should be on the front of the slab for maximum visibility to promote the company and the denomination, date, mintmark, and grade can be shown on the back. He was obviously not a coin dealer or collector.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    I understand that NGC's marketing firm had an expert who said the NGC logo should be on the front of the slab for maximum visibility to promote the company and the denomination, date, mintmark, and grade can be shown on the back. He was obviously not a coin dealer or collector.

    Or much of an expert. First step - know who your market is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file