Home Sports Talk
Options

What am I going to do for the next 6 months?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football season ends next week and doesn't start again until September, how am I going to make it for 6 months with no NFL?

Comments

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll just have to find another season to replace it. 🤔

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    We could do a sort of book club, more like a reading club. Maybe find things where we can find free PDFs, so no money is involved. It could even be shorter form stuff, like interviews or articles. Then discuss. We could start with this 1985 interview of Steve Jobs from Playboy Magazine. https://allaboutstevejobs.com/verbatim/interviews/playboy_1985 Here is one if the more interesting tidbits , imo. If you guys want, we can do an entire thread on the juxtaposition of the original intent of computers and internet and what actually happened to our lives because of computers and internet.

    oooooooooor......we could just talk about sports. LOL. :D


    Where do you see computers and software going in the near future?

    Thus far, we’re pretty much using our computers as good servants. We ask them to do something, we ask them to do some operation like a spread sheet, we ask them to take our key strokes and make a letter out of them, and they do that pretty well. And you’ll see more and more perfection of that—computer as servant. But the next thing is going to be computer as guide or agent. And what that means is that it’s going to do more in terms of anticipating what we want and doing it for us, noticing connections and patterns in what we do, asking us if this is some sort of generic thing we’d like to do regularly, so that we’re going to have, as an example, the concept of triggers. We’re going to be able to ask our computers to monitor things for us, and when certain conditions happen, are triggered, the computers will take certain actions and inform us after the fact.

    For example?

    Simple things like monitoring your stocks every hour or every day. When a stock gets beyond set limits, the computer will call my broker and electronically sell it and then let me know. Another example is that at the end of the month, the computer will go into the data base and find all the salesmen who exceeded their sales quotas by more than 20 percent and write them a personalized letter from me and send it over the electronic mail system to them, and give me a report on who it sent the letters to each month. There will be a time when our computers have maybe 100 or so of those tasks; they’re going to be much more like an agent for us. You’re going to see that start to happen a little bit in the next 12 months, but really, it’s about three years away. That’s the next breakthrough.

  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    everyday is football for me -- well just about...

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:
    We could do a sort of book club, more like a reading club. Maybe find things where we can find free PDFs, so no money is involved. It could even be shorter form stuff, like interviews or articles. Then discuss. We could start with this 1985 interview of Steve Jobs from Playboy Magazine. https://allaboutstevejobs.com/verbatim/interviews/playboy_1985 Here is one if the more interesting tidbits , imo. If you guys want, we can do an entire thread on the juxtaposition of the original intent of computers and internet and what actually happened to our lives because of computers and internet.

    oooooooooor......we could just talk about sports. LOL. :D


    Where do you see computers and software going in the near future?

    Thus far, we’re pretty much using our computers as good servants. We ask them to do something, we ask them to do some operation like a spread sheet, we ask them to take our key strokes and make a letter out of them, and they do that pretty well. And you’ll see more and more perfection of that—computer as servant. But the next thing is going to be computer as guide or agent. And what that means is that it’s going to do more in terms of anticipating what we want and doing it for us, noticing connections and patterns in what we do, asking us if this is some sort of generic thing we’d like to do regularly, so that we’re going to have, as an example, the concept of triggers. We’re going to be able to ask our computers to monitor things for us, and when certain conditions happen, are triggered, the computers will take certain actions and inform us after the fact.

    For example?

    Simple things like monitoring your stocks every hour or every day. When a stock gets beyond set limits, the computer will call my broker and electronically sell it and then let me know. Another example is that at the end of the month, the computer will go into the data base and find all the salesmen who exceeded their sales quotas by more than 20 percent and write them a personalized letter from me and send it over the electronic mail system to them, and give me a report on who it sent the letters to each month. There will be a time when our computers have maybe 100 or so of those tasks; they’re going to be much more like an agent for us. You’re going to see that start to happen a little bit in the next 12 months, but really, it’s about three years away. That’s the next breakthrough.

    I'm not sure I want computers to become too powerful, they might eventually try to take over. I'm ok with computers doing my chores, laundry, dishwashing, taking out the trash, but certain things they don't need to know!

  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Double D, we are going to work on getting you the CU LOL record!

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, Dragon Master, Just moments ago after reading this thread, I went to the kitchen to get another cup of coffee. The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ was there. Washing dishes and staring out the window. While I'm waiting for the water to boil, she said, "It's Sunday. No football and no grandchildren here today. What am I going to do?.....Oh, well." She's lost.......

    Well, at least the view out of the kitchen window isn't so bad..

    Things Could Be Worse....

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    Double D, we are going to work on getting you the CU LOL record!

    Sounds good to me! 🖒

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is confusing at least there is hockey starting back tomorrow after the All-Star weekend. I usually listen to 1 or 2 games in the evening. But it is weird without football on Sunday.

    Once mid June hits then it is truly silent when it comes to sports in my house. Baseball is OK on the radio but I do not closely follow it.

    Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

    Sports: NFL & NHL

    Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 12:43PM

    The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ is a football fanatic. Always has been since she was a little girl. She also is an avid roller skater. Always has been....It's been good to her through the years....


    So, since she's so bummed out about no football today.....I suggested that maybe since it's such a nice day she should get out those new roller skates that I bought her for Christmas and go out on the driveway and practice her routine. I told her that I would watch her.

    I have always enjoyed watching her..ahh..umm.......skate..🤔

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There is always the USFL.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you're looking for movies to watch I recommend the Plane,it has Gerard Butler in it. I watched it last night online but I think it's rentable on streaming sites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @erikthredd said:
    If you're looking for movies to watch I recommend the Plane,it has Gerard Butler in it. I watched it last night online but I think it's rentable on streaming sites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

    Looks like a great movie, I've got a secret movie website that I go to and watch movies free, I just checked it and they got it, so I'll give it a watch!

  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pitchers and catchers report. Spring training road trip. Nothing like spring training games in AZ.

    College practice March 15.
    You'll find something to do, lol.

    Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Two words

    March Madness

    Never claimed to be a great Hoops fan but March Madness really is the greatest sporting event where the unexpected becomes the expected

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:

    @erikthredd said:
    If you're looking for movies to watch I recommend the Plane,it has Gerard Butler in it. I watched it last night online but I think it's rentable on streaming sites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

    Looks like a great movie, I've got a secret movie website that I go to and watch movies free, I just checked it and they got it, so I'll give it a watch!

    I don't know if i mentioned these before but there's also these that I've watched in recent months:
    Movies
    Ambulance w/Jake Gyllenhaal
    Violent Night w/David Harbour
    The Glass Onion on netflix
    Uncharted on netflix w/Mark Wahlberg & Tom Holland
    Marvel's Black Panther 2 Wakanda Forever
    Avatar 2
    Amsterdam w/Christain Bale
    Bullet Train

    Series
    The Last of Us on HBO
    SAS Rogue Heroes
    The Rings of Power on prime
    Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on prime

  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @erikthredd said:

    @doubledragon said:

    @erikthredd said:
    If you're looking for movies to watch I recommend the Plane,it has Gerard Butler in it. I watched it last night online but I think it's rentable on streaming sites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

    Looks like a great movie, I've got a secret movie website that I go to and watch movies free, I just checked it and they got it, so I'll give it a watch!

    I don't know if i mentioned these before but there's also these that I've watched in recent months:
    Movies
    Ambulance w/Jake Gyllenhaal
    Violent Night w/David Harbour
    The Glass Onion on netflix
    Uncharted on netflix w/Mark Wahlberg & Tom Holland
    Marvel's Black Panther 2 Wakanda Forever
    Avatar 2
    Amsterdam w/Christain Bale
    Bullet Train

    Series
    The Last of Us on HBO
    SAS Rogue Heroes
    The Rings of Power on prime
    Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on prime

    Thank you, I will definately check those out, it's going to be a long summer! 🖒

  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, you know, it is almost Trouty season...

  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NFL season never ends. mini camp, combine, draft, preseason, preseason games, free agency.

    and I pretty much have all 7 of Tommys Championships running on a loop...

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    DD
    Rodgers just won the Pebble Beach Pro Am. Not bad for a has been.

    Have a nice day
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @streeter said:
    DD
    Rodgers just won the Pebble Beach Pro Am. Not bad for a has been.

    Rodgers has more championship trophies for golfing than football. 🤔

  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They should eliminate the pro bowl.
    Josh Allen pretended he couldn’t play then played golf at pebble beach. Which I don’t blame him

  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2023 3:41PM

    Perhaps a hobby?

    May I suggest boxing memorabilia or sports cards?

    https://youtu.be/QxAiLuPHnHs

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    Double D, we are going to work on getting you the CU LOL record!

    ...
    He's only about 7k behind Ricko

  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

    After the superbowl we have some great college basketball. And in March comes conference tournaments. Then later in March, March Madness. Then in early April the college basketball championship. Then in late April the NFL draft.

    So that leaves just 2 horrible months: May and June. Maybe you can watch a few baseball games in that dead 2 month period.

    In July NFL training camps open. Then in August NFL Exhibition Season starts.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think that you have gotten a lot of really good (and funny) responses here @doubledragon .

    My inbox is overflowing with PMs from members interested in starting that reading club. ;) Hold tight guys, this might take me minute to respond to you all.

  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would be very interested in the book club if you featured Jane Austen.

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:

    @perkdog said:
    Double D, we are going to work on getting you the CU LOL record!

    ...
    He's only about 7k behind Ricko

    ricko is less than 5k posts away from 6 figs

    i sure hope CU has something special in store for him when that milestone is reached

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Alfonz24 said:
    I would be very interested in the book club if you featured Jane Austen.

    Thank you for your interest, Mr. Darcy.

  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There's a new documentary on Netflix called Bill Russell Legend that is definitely worth checking out. Its only two episodes.

Sign In or Register to comment.