Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*More* New photos of my Chain Cent

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 5, 2023 8:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Shot these for inclusion in Numisstudy. I think they came out pretty good. Really hard to capture the true color with a blast white background. Turning up the exposure helps.

This design was widely panned by the public, with a periodical of the time reading: "Lady Liberty in a fright"

I think she is beautiful!

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a fright?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, I'm jealous.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it alot. I think that early profile is striking.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Very few "America" chain cents retain that degree of sharpness.

• Options
    edited February 4, 2023 6:25PM

I assume it's in an NGC holder. What did they grade it? The darker areas on the reverse, are they toning, corrosion or impurities in the metal planchet?

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job on the photos!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coin, thanks for sharing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the sharp details, but equally love the amazing planchet!!!!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an incredible specimen full of important history. Big congratulations adding this to the new “Chapman” collection!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I'd call a Masterpiece! Very nice!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monster of a coin. congrats!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, stunning coin!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

A dream coin to be sure.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great coin!! Congrats Matt.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I’m not worthy!!!
    Seriously, very nice chain cent, and seeing it plated in Chapmen is amazing.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Fantastic. What’s the pedigree after 1885? I’m curious as to what Noyes says about it.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Massive stopper. MASSIVE. Amazing surfaces. What a beauty! ❤️

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 9:41PM

WS, the tweet is fine.

Here is the numisstudy pedigree list. I understand that there is more. Still researching:

When I showed the coin to Tom Reynolds, he told me that Noyes had to grade off the 1885 plate. His EAC grade based on the coin in hand was sharpness 50, net 40+. That would seem to indicate a slab grade higher than 53.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just simply incredible, and I don't write that very often.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of this coin and having dinner with him at the just-completed Long Beach show. The next day, I got to meet the coin herself. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but seeing the coin "in the flesh" was an incredible experience. No pictures can convey the exceptional color, quality, and eye appeal of this remarkable coin.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys... Outstanding coin.... Absolutely marvelous Chain cent.... Thanks for the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very well preserved and amazing piece of numismatics and Americana right there!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superlative coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love a nice chain cent- congratulations!

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece. This is why pedigree designation on the label matters.

I had never heard the term "drift marks" before, thank you for the education on those specific planchet voids.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, one of the nicest pre 1800 coin I have seen on this forum. Congratulations. Great pedigree information. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:

Shot these for inclusion in Numisstudy. I think they came out pretty good. Really hard to capture the true color with a blast white background. Turning up the exposure helps.

This design was widely panned by the public, with a periodical of the time reading: "Lady Liberty in a fright"

I think she is beautiful!

“ Lady Liberty in a fright” Jeez, people never change. Somebody always find something to complain about.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on an outstanding piece my coin brother 👍👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 10:15PM

:o
    Closest thing to a "WOW!!" button we have! Gorgeous!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the note above... WOW!!!
    (drool face)

Thanks for the edge pictures as well. I found it surprising how clean, detailed, and square the edge is. Incredible!

I wonder where this coin has been pre-1850. Perhaps sitting in a desk drawer and forgotten about?

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto on the WOW!!! This is the kind of coin I just dream about.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing that coin is better than eating a pile of Bacon! I did not think I could ever utter those words. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you know what makes a bunch of coin collectors envious.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its so cool there are such nice condition coins from so long ago. I enjoy looking at them. I love the 17xx date ones. Thanks for sharing.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an incredible artifact.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! B)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely a beautiful historic coin. I'm glad to know what drift marks are. That the planchet was impure is icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a moose.
    Amazing coin.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an incredible piece of our history, and I especially enjoyed the pics of the edge.
    This is art

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't think of any other superlatives than what has already been expressed to say about this fantastic piece of history. So awesome to see in hand, and It obviously has found the most appreciative and perfect home in Matt. Congratulations again!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file