Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1988 Lincoln Memorial Planchet Error or Die Deterioration Error?

Hello Everyone, thank you for taking the time out to help. I've been going through my Red coins and noticed that the stairs had a dark spot. I took a closer look and was wondering if the reason why it was a grainy look, plus the DDR on the right side of the Memorial (Columns). Am I headed in the right direction for identifying the issue. The Obverse also has its issues as well. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plated over zinc dust for the appearance. And some die deterioration problems as you can see the ridge ring forming between the rim and IGWT on the obverse.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Hey Steven, thanks for the response. I have a few coins that look similiar, but without the crack just below the bust. Could that be from a Striking error?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BC45 said:
    Hello Everyone, thank you for taking the time out to help. I've been going through my Red coins and noticed that the stairs had a dark spot. I took a closer look and was wondering if the reason why it was a grainy look, plus the DDR on the right side of the Memorial (Columns). Am I headed in the right direction for identifying the issue. The Obverse also has its issues as well. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Just super common plating blisters that are very often seen on the zinc core cents. As steven noted this is from zinc dust that doesn't allow the copper plating to bond well in places, this one is bad but not the worst I've seen.

Also, there is no DDR, what you see is the design, those are the interior columns that you are seeing as doubling, these are on every memorial cent reverse, just more noticeable on some than others.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Appreciate that coinbuf. I want to thank everyone for their help. Have a great night.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BC45.... Great pictures, and you have the inputs on your coin in the above posts. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file