Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A High Grade Richard III Groat

As I get closer to acquiring a coin from each of the British kings on my list, I have gone back and upgraded a few pieces.

Richard III ruled for only three years, from 1483 until 1485. He was the brother of Edward IV and had no right to the crown because Edward had two sons. When Edward died unexpectedly, Richard took the two boys into “protective custody” locked them away in the Tower of London. Richard made the case that they had no right to the crown because their father had been illegally married to their mother. Edward had been committed to a noble woman, but he chose a commoner instead.

A majority of people think that Richard III had the boys killed. Their bodies were buried behind an old staircase that was unearthed years later. Their bones are now buried at Westminster Abby. Some people think that Henry VII had them killed. Both kings would have had their reasons.

Other than the murders, Richard III seems to have been a decent king. He tried to reconcile the differences between the waring Lancaster and York sides and was a good administrator.

His reign was cut short when Henry VII (Tudor) challenged him. At the Battle of Bosworth, Richard charged into the line in the effort kill Henry quickly and end the rebellion. Richard was cut down instead. He would be the last British king to die on the battlefield.

Richard's body was disposed of quickly. In 2013, his bones were discovered under a parking lot in Leicester City. They confirmed that Richard had a curvature of the spine.

This is often exaggerated in Shakespeare’s Richard III where he is portrayed as a foul villain. We need to remember that Shakespeare, for all of his talents as a writer, was also a politician who wanted to be on the Tudor Family’s good side.

Richard's coins are usually found in low grade when you can find them at all. This was my first Richard III coin, a penny. This is actually a little better than average. This piece was struck at the Durham Mint under Bishop John Sherwood. That's why the coin as the big "S" under Richard's portrait. And no, this was an early rendition of Superman

And here is my recent purchase, a groat. This is graded EF-45, and it's "all there" at least by American standards. This is close to as good as it gets for most collectors when it comes to these coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Very nice. That's a perfect upgrade. I haven't even got Richard III because it's so hard to find either a 'gap filler' that isn't a wreck (still not cheap, by the way) or a coin that's completely acceptable and doesn't cost the same as a car.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your acquisition, it is no small feat to obtain a Richard III coin that nice. At one time I destined to acquire a coin of each English then British monarch, but gave up fairly quickly and just ended up sticking to Scottish coinage. Some thirty years ago it was still conjectured that coins were issued for Edward V, who was the heir to the throne allegedly condemned to death by Richard III.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s such a cool write up. You’ve got me wanting one now. What would you say the price ranges are on these kinds of pieces? Low grade or something like this. I haven’t a clue.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nevermind, i just looked at a bent AG that was selling for over $700. 😳🤣

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the penny wasn’t cheep, and it’s lacking a fair amount of detail.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins Bill.
    My groat and penny are somewhat lower grade, with the groat fairly clipped. They get pricey in high grade.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 6:22PM

I had dealer tell me that iit is not a good idea to buy clipped coins, but if the clips don’t get into the words, I don’t see much of a problem. If they are into the words, then then the price becomes the issue.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

Cool