Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Pound of Morgan Dollars

How many have seen this add on T.V.? I decided for the fun of it to give it a call. The agent said that would be 17 coins and the best price I could get was $969. Agent said at $57 a coin was a very good price as these coins go for $80 and up. Added that 1921 was the highest minted year and they go for around $50. There would be no CC's or other key date coins. Coin would be at lest Very Good . The T.V. add said in "Very Good Collector Grade"( what would this mean ?). The agent also asked if I was a Morgan Dollar collector. Said just calling about the price. The web site is GovMint.comm.
I'm not a collector of Morgan Dollars but do have 14 in my collection. My favorite is an Unc, 1890-O in a Capital Plastic 2X2 holder. The company I retired from was founded in 1890 and for the 75th anniversary in 1965 gave each employee an 1890 Silver Dollar. Coins I've seen have been P or O. The coin I have also came with the original employee envelope so I know who received it. Did try to find how many the company employed at the time but wasn't able to do so.
By the way, I do have a complete set of Peace Silver Dollars.

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like a nice 90-O myself B)

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cringe at some of the TV coin related advertisements. Maybe there are a few decent deals out there, but the vast majority I have seen were not. I just recently started a Morgan Registry set in MS63-65 range, so am still learning about the series myself. I like them (sadly) because my eye sight isn't what it once was, and they are easy to see without reading glasses.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those guys are known for selling average circ stuff that they can buy in large enough quantities to promote via their various advertisements, mostly to lower information collectors/stackers. The coins are usually low end circs

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

$57 each for VG? That is highway robbery.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what the question is, or if there is one at all???

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have seen such offerings several times over the years. These hucksters are moving highly circulated coins at two to three times melt value... No bargains included.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file