Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long Beach Day 1 Report

lermishlermish Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I flew down to LB this morning to attend the show, submit some coins, and lot view the upcoming Heritage auction. Coming down from Northern California and still working on a day to day basis I had to cram in as much as possible because staying overnight was not in the cards. Luckily I bumped into the former president of the Sacramento coin club so we chatted on the plane and shared a cab to the convention center.

As a set registry member I got complimentary early entry which was great as there was not any wait for lot viewing. Next stop was to meet with @alefzero to talk trade dollars but after that I was on a mission for my shopping list.

I upgraded my proof seated dollar from an impaired 55 to a not spectacular but perfectly fine 63 that matched my budget.

I was also looking for a type 2 Liberty $20 but had a very difficult time finding an appealing AU coin which was a bit surprising given the general availability. The Tyrant World Coin display was amazing as one might expect.

PCGS has a new optional online check-in system for submitting. I had a few reholders, re-grades, and crossovers to submit but the line started getting lengthy (3+ hours at one point for the online check-in) later in the day. Luckily I was well prepared and the ladies at the desk were incredibly efficient as always.

Everyone I spoke with was having quick and solid sales. The bourse was crowded with collectors of all ages and people were buying! It was a quick trip but a lot of fun and bumped into a few friends. What a great hobby!

I will hopefully have some regrade and crossover results to share in the coming weeks. Not to bury the lede but I do have one other newp but that coin is deserving of its own post so it will have to wait until I get home.

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, wish I could have made it but it wasn't in the cards this year. That seated dollar looks absolutely gorgeous, congrats on the upgrade! I bet the Tyrant display was outstanding, I would have enjoyed seeing that very much.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report, I went to the previous LB show but couldn’t make this one.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your report; that dollar looks very nice!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I might have flown out for a day or two if I had known the Tyrant's New World collection would be on display.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the look of that proof. Congrats!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish ... Very nice report and great acquisition. I look forward to your 'special' coin and pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report and awesome pickup on the Seated Dollar. She is a beauty for sure and one I'd be proud to own.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the online check in system pcgs is using? I haven’t heard of this, and it wasn’t at FUN.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great LB report! Love the seated dollar. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup and a concise report. That dollar looks nicer than 63 in the pics.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    What is the online check in system pcgs is using? I haven’t heard of this, and it wasn’t at FUN.

There was a QR code to scan and then text & email notifications for when your spot comes up. Similar to a restaurant reservation system.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Seated dollar proof is astounding! Every coin in your collection is top notch. I have viewed a few of your registry sets, and they are stunning. Every. Single. Coin. The last big coin show I attended was over a decade ago. I should probably try to attend more of them because that's where the real fun and comradery is. I have rarely met a coin collector or dealer that I didn't like. I helped @PonyExpress8 at the ANA Money show in Fort Worth in 2010 and it was a blast.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful dollar and thanks for the report.

Vplite99
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and I love your Seated Dollar.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file