Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 Bowman

I have heard one collector or another in the 50 years I've collected cards say that each set in the 50's was their "favorite"...yes, even '55 Bowmans and '59 Topps...I have never heard anyone that really loves '54 Bowmans. For me, they're the most terrible looking card and design. To each, his own, of course. I wonder...does anyone here love the '54 Bowmans?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

54 Bowman's are Pretty Cool... :)

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me as one of the few that likes the '54 Bowman baseball cards. In fact, I just finished the '54 Cubs team set. I've always liked the "painted portrait" style of cards from the early 1950's such as 52-53 Topps and 51-52 Bowman. Granted, the colors on the '54 Bowman's are much more muted, but I think they give it a classic vintage look. I can see how some did not care for it or the pastel-colored box at the bottom.

Everyone has their own artistic preferences. As you said, to each his own.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Those are super pretty! Funny..if they eliminated the the box and just put the autograph on the card, I'd love it Lol

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

'54 Bowman I was referring to was baseball only.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    '54 Bowman I was referring to was baseball only.

Sorry that my Football can not participate in your Unclear 1954 Bowman topic

• Options

I love the participation, but your Bowman football is obviously sexy! The baseball took convincing! o:)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Bowman football cards are awesome - love my ‘54 Bowman baseball but would have been great if they used that design.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I have heard one collector or another in the 50 years I've collected cards say that each set in the 50's was their "favorite"...yes, even '55 Bowmans and '59 Topps...I have never heard anyone that really loves '54 Bowmans. For me, they're the most terrible looking card and design. To each, his own, of course. I wonder...does anyone here love the '54 Bowmans?

I'm surprised that you singled out '55 Bowman. I had always thought they were pretty popular.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@BuckHunter68 said:

I'm surprised that you singled out '55 Bowman. I had always thought they were pretty popular.

I hate the 55B baseball design.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘55B is my second favorite all-time. While Topps was in the midst of a 3 year run of the same headshots, Bowman has some really interesting photography. Both the Mays and Aaron are iconic, the Banks was different than any other card of his. The quirky inclusion of the umpires is great.

I think ‘53B is the greatest set of all-time looks wise but ‘55 Bowman is a great set.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point brad31. While I agree the photos were interesting on the '55 Bowman set, I just find the the wood-grained television set framing odd and distracting. Wood grain ('62 Topps) and burlap ('68 Topps) are not great choices either.

• Options

To be clear, I absolutely LOVE '55 Bowmans. Funny, I didn't like them until the last 15 years or so. I built the complete set and have kept them all. I have heard many negative comments on them over the years, however. I like that Bowman took a shot "outside the box" and the photos in Philly add a nice touch.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

I've had these forever. Should've upgraded many years ago. 😪

• Options

I love the '55 Bowman Mays and Mantle cards. Freaking fabulous.

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    .if they eliminated the the box and just put the autograph on the card, I'd love it Lol

I agree 100%.

While I like the '54 Bowmans, I absolutely LOVE the '55 Bowmans! To me, vintage cards are nothing if not a slice of time and the '55 Bowmans capture that. What could be more mid 1950's than not only a TV, but a color TV!

I've got most of the Yankees (Berra, Ford, Rizzuto & others) but sadly missed out on Mickey a few years back when I should have pulled the trigger but didn't. :'( Maybe one day!