Home Sports Talk
Options

Broncos hire Sean Payton

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean Payton is back in the NFL, the Denver Broncos finalized a deal Tuesday to acquire their next head coach from the New Orleans Saints, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported, per sources.

New Orleans will receive a 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall) and a 2024 second-round selection from Denver in exchange for Payton's services, as well as a future third-round pick, Rapoport added. Payton was still under contract with the Saints despite stepping down after the 2021 season, necessitating a complicated trade between New Orleans and any potential suitor -- and there were a few.

This should be an interesting experiment.

Comments

• Options

Oh, oh!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if we're keeping track, it cost the Broncos three 1sts, three 2nds, one 3rd, one 5th and three players all for the Sean Payton/Russell Wilson (+ one 4th rounder) era to happen in Denver? Who needs draft picks anyways?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, oh!

🤣🤣🤣

He owed Hacket that when he said "How can you coach a guy who has more bathrooms at his house than TD passes" 🤣🤣🤣

Wilson will still suck next season

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really surprised to see him go to Denver. seems like they have a long way to go to be a real contender

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I am really surprised to see him go to Denver. seems like they have a long way to go to be a real contender

Honestly it really might be the Coaching as much as it was Wison.

The Broncos got a great D, solid running game and their WR corps isn't terrible

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, oh!

🤣🤣🤣

He owed Hacket that when he said "How can you coach a guy who has more bathrooms at his house than TD passes" 🤣🤣🤣

Wilson never said that.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see what the big deal is with Payton. He had Bree’s all those years so that was a lot of his success just like belichik with brady

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I don’t see what the big deal is with Payton. He had Bree’s all those years so that was a lot of his success just like belichik with brady

Even in the non Brady years, the Patriots have been a prepared and well coached football team. The Saints were similar without near the championships but they were knocking on the door for a while.

Coaching is not easy - be it youth or professional. Someone who has proven they can do it - and do it at a high level - is well worth it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, oh!

🤣🤣🤣

Wilson never said that.

Oh OK.

Well he was well within his rights to after what Hackett said lol

• Options

@Darin said:

Only 1 Super Bowl as well

• Options

Sean Payton has his work cut out for him, turning that dumpster fire around isn't going to be easy. Plus, they're going to have to compete with Mahomes and the Chiefs, I don't see the Wal-Mart Broncos winning a Super Bowl.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no fan of Payton. I'm not saying he won't improve the Broncos, but look what he did in New Orleans. He made a mess of their cap and when the times ere about to get really tough he ran away.