Home Sports Talk
Options

Jimmy Garoppolo smiles during NFC Championship loss

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story is so unbelievably stupid that it's quite amusing, NFL fans are absolutely outraged that Jimmy Garoppolo had the nerve, the gall, the audacity, to smile during yesterday's NFC Championship game. This story is making national headlines folks, Jimmy Garoppolo smiles during NFC Championship loss. Is this what we've become as a society, a guy is not allowed to smile?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jimmy-garoppolo-smiles-during-nfc-championship-loss-nfl-world-reacts/ar-AA16VbVO?cvid=fb8d2078fd8a4b199ac396a332eb4a75

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brock Purdy out 6 months. Misses OTA's.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentioned it in the other thread, he couldn't have cared less about them losing.

He is all about himself, I read something that his teammates would text him to get together and he would not get back to them until a few days later if not all, not that he isn't liked but more so that he just does his own thing.

I'm sure the guy is too busy with woman so in that regard good for him

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

The masses need to find (make up?) the "outrage dejour"; and next "object of derision" that they can put a Cancelled Stamp on.

Without being able to do this, life for many is simply boring.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 7:55PM

That is the look on his face that Jimmy G. has ALL THE TIME!
    ALWAYS!....When he throws an interception... He has that same smile.... When he throws A TD he has that same smile......I think that he is just a happy go lucky guy and he understands GRATITUDE! I can't tell you how many times in my life that people were angry at me because I had a smile on my face......Hey!, Some people are just kicked back....and...HAPPY!!!!!!
    He looks like someone I'd like to hang with

He obviously had a loving Mommy and Daddy
    You can see it in his face....
    Some people are,...just,....HAPPY!
    And that's why the ladies love 'em
    Everyone Else?......Get A Life!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story is very stupid. I saw Purdy along with other players smiling & joking on the sidelines late in yesterday's game and I was even thinking that someone,somewhere will probably complain about that at some point. Turns out that person was watching Garoppolo instead lol.

• Options

@streeter said:
    Brock Purdy out 6 months. Misses OTA's.

That really sucks for the kid, I hope SF renegotiates his deal and throws him a decent bonus for how well he played this year as well as for going back into that game after blowing out his elbow.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

boy it's a good thing Stacey Mickels wasn't standing in the middle of the field after the game when 90% of the Niners were yucking it up with Eagles

she might have written a worst-selling novel

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This story is very stupid. I saw Purdy along with other players smiling & joking on the sidelines late in yesterday's game and I was even thinking that someone,somewhere will probably complain about that at some point. Turns out that person was watching Garoppolo instead lol.

You're Right On Erikthredd......After every NFL games the players from both teams go out onto the field. They hug each other....they smile...they renew old friendships... College and pro...they're happy!...They kneel and pray together..... It's A Brotherhood.... They know...... It's only a game.... I love watching watching the friendship of the players after the game....It's A good thing.....

It's just a game.....They know it....

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@erikthredd said:

You're Right On Erikthredd......After every NFL games the players from both teams go out onto the field. They hug each other....they smile...they renew old friendships... College and pro...they're happy!...They kneel and pray together..... It's A Brotherhood.... They know...... It's only a game.... I love watching watching the friendship of the players after the game....It's A good thing.....

It's just a game.....They know it....

I'm talking about late 3rd/early 4th when I saw 49ers players smiling not postgame. The writer from that article that galaxy pointed out was nothing but a drama queen looking to stir stuff up. Jimmy must have ignored her question during one of the postgame press conferences when he was still out there.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 10:14PM

Whatever..... Those players are just little boys in a mans body playing a little boys game. They understand that....
    It's been their whole life since they were little kids.....Win or Lose....It's just a game.....It's A Brotherhood. The fans don't know.

It's Just A Game.....
    The Brotherhood Is The Most Important Part.

• Options

This story is so ridiculous, people smile, it's human nature. I remember back in the day when I played football, we lost games and I hated it, but I still smiled during conversations with my teammates on the sidelines. Wipe that smile off your face Jimmy, this is what the people want to see next time!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 5:54AM

Every time I hear "Its just a game" I roll my eyes because it's not a "Game" it's a multi billion dollar business.

Call it how you see it but the facts are it's not "just a game"

Once you leave college and go pro it's all about money

Sure there is a brotherhood but none of these guys would play for free

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 5:18AM

Some people don't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. I sure don't.

However, some of those people are too unforgiving in their own interpretation of what that means.

I doubt he was laughing in the locker room after the game while the team was still digesting the loss.

Edit - perhaps I should have led with "Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser."

Or, just maybe, no one got the movie reference.

• Options

So with Purdy out needing Tommy John surgery, Jimmy G heading to free agency and who knows when Trey Lance will be ready, do the 49ers go after Tom Brady for 2023 when they're this close to a SB?

• Options
    edited January 31, 2023 11:30AM

@perkdog said:
    Every time I hear "Its just a game" I roll my eyes because it's not a "Game" it's a multi billion dollar business.

You're probably right Perky. Because it's A multi billion dollar business now.
    This got me to thinking... So I looked up average yearly American wages by decade for us regular folks compared to the average yearly wages of NFL and MLB players. Very interesting. First, the MLB players typically earned three times as much as the average Joe up until the mid 1970's.They weren't rich, but not a bad gig. Now, the average MLB players makes 84 times as much!....
    The most interesting thing that I found was that in 1960, the average American household earned $5,600 A year and the average NFL player made under $6,000. Basically the same. Now in 2020 MLB players earn over $4 million and NFL players over $2 million. My how times have changed!
    I will add this however....in 1960 when NFL salaries were basically the same as the average American household income..... There was no shortage of players in the NFL. It obviously wasn't the money that motivated those guys to play football. Who would want to get beat up on the job for the same money a used car salesman made? They liked the game.
    And, I know a lot of baseball players.... The game is their blood. I think they would play for free and work off season jobs if that was the only option. I've been involved with many amateur and semi-pro baseball teams over the years. Many of the players are current and ex-MLB. They can't stop playing..... Those guys get on the phone and call their buddies to get a Saturday playground game together. Just like we all did when we were kids. AND.....Those games are the most fun of any baseball games. They are boys in grownup bodies doing what they love!
    You would be surprised who those guys are out on the high school diamond early on a Saturday morning. At least that's the case in the Orange County, California area.......Most fun you could ever have at a ball game.
    BATTER UP!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This story is so unbelievably stupid that it's quite amusing, NFL fans are absolutely outraged that Jimmy Garoppolo had the nerve, the gall, the audacity, to smile during yesterday's NFC Championship game. This story is making national headlines folks, Jimmy Garoppolo smiles during NFC Championship loss. Is this what we've become as a society, a guy is not allowed to smile?
    >

I disagree with you. There are times when it is not appropriate to smile. Supposedly, he was a team-mate of a bunch of players getting their hair tied to posts all lined up for the kill. He let his team-mates down with his schluppin' grin. He's gone anyway and good riddance. He couldn't win a Super Bowl so the Niners are movin' on to Mr. Poise. As long as that elbow recovers, Niners have a decade of getting more SB's to bolster the Montana/Young era.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Hydrant said:
    That is the look on his face that Jimmy G. has ALL THE TIME!
    ALWAYS!....When he throws an interception... He has that same smile.... When he throws A TD he has that same smile......I think that he is just a happy go lucky guy and he understands GRATITUDE! I can't tell you how many times in my life that people were angry at me because I had a smile on my face......Hey!, Some people are just kicked back....and...HAPPY!!!!!!
    He looks like someone I'd like to hang with

He obviously had a loving Mommy and Daddy
    You can see it in his face....
    Some people are,...just,....HAPPY!
    And that's why the ladies love 'em
    Everyone Else?......Get A Life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@doubledragon said:
    >

I disagree with you. There are times when it is not appropriate to smile. Supposedly, he was a team-mate of a bunch of players getting their hair tied to posts all lined up for the kill. He let his team-mates down with his schluppin' grin. He's gone anyway and good riddance. He couldn't win a Super Bowl so the Niners are movin' on to Mr. Poise. As long as that elbow recovers, Niners have a decade of getting more SB's to bolster the Montana/Young era.

So you obviously think that Jimmy was genuinely happy that Brock Purdy got injured, that the 49ers were losing, he was genuinely happy about that, he loved every minute of it, nothing made him happier than to see Brock Purdy get hurt and the 49ers losing? That's his personality, he's always smiling, win or lose, he shouldn't have to apologize to you or anyone else. He didn't let anyone down, the 49ers defense let them down, giving up 31 points.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

So you obviously think that Jimmy was genuinely happy that Brock Purdy got injured, that the 49ers were losing, he was genuinely happy about that, he loved every minute of it, nothing made him happier than to see Brock Purdy get hurt and the 49ers losing? That's his personality, he's always smiling, win or lose, he shouldn't have to apologize to you or anyone else. He didn't let anyone down, the 49ers defense let them down, giving up 31 points.

I've no idea what JG thinks, I am not him. I just know you don't walk around in a slaughter with a whoppin' big grin on your face when you are on the losing side. Not a good look to your team-mates, not a way to gain loyalty from them IMO.................

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@doubledragon said:

I've no idea what JG thinks, I am not him. I just know you don't walk around in a slaughter with a whoppin' big grin on your face when you are on the losing side. Not a good look to your team-mates, not a way to gain loyalty from them IMO.................

Fair enough, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but never forget the good times we had, like George Kittle's shirtless Jimmy Garoppolo t-shirt, which Jimmy G autographed for him. And they even made a t-shirt of George Kittle wearing a shirtless Jimmy Garoppolo t-shirt!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course he's smiling - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 49ers coach kicked him to the curb at the beginning of the season, and he knew he was headed out town. They only brought him back when his replacement was injured for the season almost immediately. Who knows what he’s grinning about? But one thing for sure, he won’t be with the 49ers next season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

He could afford to smile. Knows he's getting paid regardless.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".