Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a beautiful 1976 Kennedy Half dollar from the P mint. It has a satin finish like a sms coin f

I have a beautiful 1976 Kennedy Half dollar from the P mint.
It has a satin finish like a sms coin from the 1960's.
Is this a common planchet type coin from 1976 P mint .50 dollar?

Answers

• Options

I have proofs that are reflective of course. This coin planchet just looks too different.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your description: Yes, that's they way they're supposed to look.

If you want a different answer, you'll need to post pictures.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures, please.

• Options
    Akcoinz78Akcoinz78 Posts: 13
    edited January 30, 2023 4:39PM

I Hope you can see them

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 4:43PM

I'll have a weight on the P mint when my Scale comes in the mail in a few days.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof coin.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, one is a proof and one is a business strike. Can we see the edge of both coins? You should be able to tell if they’re silver or clad looking at the edge

• Options

Proof? They made proofs with no Mintmark? Wow cant wait to get this graded and metallurgically tested
    The one on the right that is...

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 5:22PM

The proofs had an S mint mark, and the clad circulation strikes had either a D or no mint mark. There were also silver circulation strikes with an S mint mark.

Young Numismatist

• Options

Both edges are clad and reeded like clad coins. I'm just saying the Business strike finish...Looks just like a sms from the 1960's

• Options

I pulled that photo off the Web Copyright acknowledgement to Original poster or as agreed
    But not My photo.

I'm just looking at the finish from 1976 to today's sms coins

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think it might be?

• Options

Again not mine

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

You think it is a “Special Mint Set” coin? From 1976?

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 7:08PM

I am not sure what I am looking at.. I Just noted the satin finish and wanted to see how common this was from the 1976 Business Strike. My Guess is even though its got the clad edges I should get it checked out. Web searches says there Are 1976 sms coins out there I just cant find any photo examples.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akcoinz78 ... Welcome aboard. According to the Mega Red Book, there were no 1976 SMS issued. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 8:01AM

deleted

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Yeah being a new novice collector I only know to check with other collectors and take questionable coins to a Grading Co. I'm having trouble finding the site that I read that the 1976 SMS were mint exclusive for that year.. I dunno what that could have meant or If I was reading misinformation. But If I come across that page again I will share it in case someone else comes across a satin finished 76 coin.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re trying to breathe rarified air. Read here if you need to learn quickly. Start with the threads with default avatars like yours. You will know what to avoid. Welcome, good luck.

• Options

Thanks for the welcome! As far as breathing "rarified" air? Lol! I'm just posting on a site where other people enjoy collecting like me. I enjoy the collective knowledge of others :)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 2:34PM

Someone lost breath back there.
    That is correct, posting; however, you lack mention having read. I try to save you some of my mistakes. You don’t want to be entertainment. I regret that I did not communicate my good intentions well.
    Edit: autocorrupt.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akcoinz78 said:
    Thanks for the welcome! As far as breathing "rarified" air? Lol! I'm just posting on a site where other people enjoy collecting like me. I enjoy the collective knowledge of others :)

Collective knowledge can be dangerous when you're actually in search of facts. Whatever site said there were SMS coins in 1976 was wrong.

Buy a Redbook. Read the Redbook. https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-US-Coins-2023/dp/079484961X

• Options
    edited January 31, 2023 3:40PM

I am willing to admit that repeating what I read off from only 1 site that I can't find at the moment was in poor judgement.
    However, the heart of the post is what an unusual type of 1976 clad coin... Satin finish in person the photos do no justice. But I'm not surprised... That 1964 in that photo of the 4 coins that example was pulled from is an accented hair type :)

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akcoinz78 said:
    That 1964 in that photo of the 4 coins that example was pulled from is an accented hair type :)

Nope. From what I can see, you're well on your way to losing money on coins.

• Options

Oh.. the 64? I'll load some pictures later when I fiddle with the microscope..:)

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akcoinz78 said:
    Oh.. the 64? I'll load some pictures later when I fiddle with the microscope..:)

The coin is not the Accented Hair variety - taking more pictures would simply be a waste of time.

The facts you are getting wrong are the most basic facts that anyone can easily read in the Red Book or PCGS CoinFacts. Take the advice you've been given and start reading.

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@Akcoinz78 said:

The coin is not the Accented Hair variety - taking more pictures would simply be a waste of time.

The facts you are getting wrong are the most basic facts that anyone can easily read in the Red Book or PCGS CoinFacts. Take the advice you've been given and start reading.

I think an accented hair always has a missing serif at the bottom of the "I". correct me if I am wrong.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file