Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Price for Athenian Tetradrachm

What would be an appropriate price for this Tetradrachm?

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks over cleaned. Not sure about the rest of the surfaces. Maybe $500.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking $500 as well.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• @bronzemat Do you think its a eastern/Egyptian imitation?

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be an eastern imitation, but I am not sure. I don't specialize in these.

Usually, you can tell from the eyes on Athena.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 2:52PM

I have not seen tons of these coins, but ones I have seen did not have the amount of “die rust” on the reverse that this one seems to have. The surfaces were smooth without the many raised bumps I see on this one. For that reason I would be careful. And yes, it seems to have been cleaned more harshly than that other examples I have seen.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • @BillJones I ended up purchasing the coin for a $490 before taxes. It does indeed seem like it was a little over cleaned, but in my opinion this picture the seller provided is not that good, the coin look much better in normal lighting.

In the reverse those spots are smooth, and not flakey, its more like some discoloration. The seller also sent me documents, that I believe need to be private, but this coin is part of the famous 2018 hoard, the seller even gave me some past pedigree on it, a British collector previously owned it.

• mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

As a buyer, I would pass on this coin and as a seller, I would price it to move it ($300?). Aside from the comments as to its handling, there are many affordable examples on the market and from reports I have read on the net, there is a reservoir of these coins in dealers hands and the price of them have been slowly declining from a decade ago.

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • @mrbrklyn I really am not sure if you can find Athenian Tetradrachm like this for that low, except maybe auction houses, but they absolutely bombard you with fees, plus shipping which is expensive as most are from Europe and Im from the US. I bought this from a local dealer so I didnt spend anything on shipping. Do you think they will continue to decline in price? I haven't really seen a decline on them, maybe if something similar to the 2018 hoard is found they will be more affordable.

• mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • @mrbrklyn Thanks for the article, Ive been meaning to buy that book forever now. Very interesting prospective, I had no idea that prices were that high. Do you have any links to stores you recomend? I typically avoid auction houses

• viewing the photos and then referring to an image and not having it in hand at first sight I would say that it is a reproduction by fusion. bubbles can be seen on the bird's side. maybe you who have the hand can tell us if they are stains or bubbles. weight and measures (grams and millimeters) would be needed in order to carry out a more accurate search of the coin

• @Cards73 I got it from a very very reputable dealer so Im not exactly concerned with authenticity. It weights 17.1 grams, my digital scale is coming in next week so I don't have one at the moment but it the listing it states that its 26 mm. In addition to past ownership he gave me several ID codes, Kroll 8, Dewing 1591-8, SNG Copenhagen 31. As far as the “bubbles” go, yeah they’re not really bubbles or corrosion (as I thought it was), they are not porous or flakey, its just some kind of discoloration. Pictures truly don't do this coin justice, and its an absolute JOY to handle it.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@Qwertyuiopgsggs said:
    @BillJones I ended up purchasing the coin for a $490 before taxes. It does indeed seem like it was a little over cleaned, but in my opinion this picture the seller provided is not that good, the coin look much better in normal lighting.

In the reverse those spots are smooth, and not flakey, its more like some discoloration. The seller also sent me documents, that I believe need to be private, but this coin is part of the famous 2018 hoard, the seller even gave me some past pedigree on it, a British collector previously owned it.

Because you mentioned the price “before taxes” , I am wondering where do you live and how high were the import taxes.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • @SYRACUSIAN I live in Massachusetts USA and after sales tax which is 6% and shipping it went to a total of $506, it was 2 day shipping which I think was fair. The seller is from California so I didn't have to deal with custom importing taxes, but a great trick to avoid them is to label a package as a “gift”.