Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question to those that submit coins to the “big” 3

VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know ANACS isn’t up there with PCGS and NGC, but those that submit to all 3 what is your reason for using them. Value, turnaround time, varieties, attribution, resale value, or just getting in a slab as quick as possible. Let me know why you pick a certain company over others.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used ANACS one time for a Dcarr submission, and had a very pleasant experience. I would imagine the reasons you listed all play a significant role in the decision to use ANACS, other than "resale value"

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

For coins where you don't live or die on a single grade, it's sometimes a good option. Authentication is sometimes more important than grading. For situations like that (or for esoteric items the others don't slab) it makes sense.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never actually submitted to PCGS (don't tell anyone I don't want to get shunned :D), although I do own many PCGS coins. I have, however, submitted to both NGC and ANACS.

I used NGC for some "better" coins back when you used to get submitting privileges with an ANA membership. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case although I think you may still get a NGC membership discount.

I still submit to ANACS on occasion, when they run a special that serves my purposes. In fact I just sent in 37 "lower value" coins to take advantage of their $13 January special. However, it should be noted that I don't sell very often, and I am mainly interested in authentication and preservation. Additionally, these are coins that wouldn't make economic sense to submit to either PCGS or NGC.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

• ANACS grading is currently as good as PCGS, and if anything, perhaps a bit more conservative.

I have not done a lot of submissions, most of my coins were raw until the last few years. But I agree with this statement, I have cracked out several ANACS holders coins all but 1 came back the same grade from PCGS, the one that did not was a 55 At ANACS, and came back 58 in PCGS. I have had the opposite outcome with NGC, I have cracked a couple NGC coins, and they have all come back with lower grades, biggest disappointment was a 1921 peace dollar that was in a 53 NGC holder, I expected it to come back 45, but it came back a 40. FWIW, I have cracked 2 PCI coins and they both came back from pcgs with the same grade.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a key player in this sport. No need for me to use the big two. I initially used ANACS to test my non-professional grading skills. Cheaper, faster turnaround time and great customer service.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

@SPalladino said:

• ANACS grading is currently as good as PCGS, and if anything, perhaps a bit more conservative.

I have not done a lot of submissions, most of my coins were raw until the last few years. But I agree with this statement, I have cracked out several ANACS holders coins all but 1 came back the same grade from PCGS, the one that did not was a 55 At ANACS, and came back 58 in PCGS. I have had the opposite outcome with NGC, I have cracked a couple NGC coins, and they have all come back with lower grades, biggest disappointment was a 1921 peace dollar that was in a 53 NGC holder, I expected it to come back 45, but it came back a 40. FWIW, I have cracked 2 PCI coins and they both came back from pcgs with the same grade.

Wow! A ‘21 peace dropped from a 53 to a 40! May I suggest submitting for a shot at a gold cac sticker for that coin? You’d probably recoup your losses from the crossover.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have slabbed coins from all three that have joined my collection over many, many years. When I submit, it is to PCGS... When I buy slabbed, it is only the coin that matters. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience with the W quarters I sent to both NGC and PCGS is that the PCGS graded coins bring a higher resale value than NGC.

ANACS resale value is below NGC in my opinion from tracking Ebay completed auctions.

YMMV depending on the coin being graded.😎

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@ndeagles said:

@SPalladino said:

Wow! A ‘21 peace dropped from a 53 to a 40! May I suggest submitting for a shot at a gold cac sticker for that coin? You’d probably recoup your losses from the crossover.

That's a good idea, I might talk to my local dealer who can submit, I don't think I can submit to CAC

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always thought ANACS has gotten a bad rap. Their grading has always been good, you don't have to join anything to submit, and any pieces I've crossed to our hosts with one exception didn't downgrade (unlike those from other TPGs I can think of). Of course I buy the coin and not the plastic, so there's that.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@Vetter said:
    those that submit to all 3 what is your reason for using them?

I submit coins to be authenticated and preserved.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use PCGS, NGC and ICG. In order. Things PCGS does not grade goes to NGC, things NGC also does not grade goes to ICG.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICG is another underrated TPG imo. We've owned a lot of nice pieces in their holders over the years.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually use all of the “top 4” TPG’s as each has its niche in my experience.

PCGS is acknowledged as the top slab to sell in the Marketplace and I use them for any of my higher value coins. They are to my knowledge the only one of the top 4 who guarantee their assigned variety attribution, which is important for rare varieties like early copper (I collect low grade early large cents). Also in my experience PCGS is a little more lenient on slightly “cleaned” examples.

I own a number of countermarked coins and find NGC to be the best to certify and slab them. They don’t guarantee their variety attribution so I don’t send them varieties to certify. They are tougher on suspected cleaned coins in my opinion as well.

ANACS is actually really good with early copper and variety attributions but they only guarantee them to the extent they will correct the label and reholder at no cost- a problem if you bought an expensive misattributed coin! I do send them any problem early copper for their slab. They are less expensive but also valued below PCGS and NGC in the marketplace.

ICG is cool in that they offer an “educational/ counterfeit” holder- the only one of the top 4 and I believe in the industry. I have a number of examples in these holders for education and sharing. ICG is also very good at determining and attributing fakes and I recommend them if there is any doubt in your mind your example is genuine. They are also much lower cost for certification.

All 4 guarantee authenticity, which is a key to me in the current climate of the hobby- there are many very deceptive counterfeits out there and the guarantee can be very important…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file