Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eagle Eye Photo Seal - Submission Results? *update*

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 6, 2023 11:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Last week I sent my only three Indian Head Cents to Rick Snow for Eagle Eye stickers.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

I sent these three:

I will post the results when I get them back.
Do you guys think these have a good chance of passing? Admittedly I love Indian cents, but I’m only mildly familiar with their grading and qualities. It’s a series that I want to learn more about…

Better pictures of the coins:

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s really impossible to tell without seeing the coins in hand, however…

If you go to Indiancent.com and click on the photo seal link, you can enter your cert number and if they’ve already been accepted, you will see the results. Good luck!

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭

I have had plenty of experience. I think you 1866 and your 1889 are definitely worth of his sticker. I think the 1877 is a pretty good shot as well.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Last week I sent my only three Indian Head Cents to Rick Snow for Eagle Eye stickers.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

I sent these three:

I will post the results when I get them back.
    Do you guys think these have a good chance of passing? Admittedly I love Indian cents, but I’m only mildly familiar with their grading and qualities. It’s a series that I want to learn more about…

Better pictures of the coins:

I love the reverse of that proof. I see a lot of proof Indians were one side is nicer than the other. Sometimes substantially.

• Options

Thanks guys. 👍

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 4:06AM

I have only purchased from Rick with the sticker (nice laminated card) I had no idea he did this as a service. I sent it in for regrade and lost the sticker. hmmm. It did CAC after the regrade (did not get bumped (65RD 1868)

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures. It's always helpful to see others successes (and failures).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland... Very nice IHC's and congratulations on the stickers.... The Eagle Eye stickers will definitely add value if you decide to sell. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    I have only purchased from Rick with the sticker (nice laminated card) I had no idea he did this as a service. I sent it in for regrade and lost the sticker. hmmm. It did CAC after the regrade (did not get bumped (65RD 1868)

Rick has been doing this since before CAC had even started. CAC actually took his model and applied it many more coins. I like both services.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes on all 3 - and not surprised to see the results later in the thread! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 8:45AM

@ironmanl63 said:

@Clackamas1 said:

Rick has been doing this since before CAC had even started. CAC actually took his model and applied it to many more coins. I like both services.

I believe Rick started this concept of applying his Eagle Eye Photo Seal to Flying Eagles and Indian Cents only if he felt they were solid for the grade roughly in 1994, about 14 years before CAC.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

This is awesome! B)
    I haven’t even gotten the coins back yet! :D

Next, they need to go for the green ones!

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 5:52PM

@asheland said:
    This is awesome! B)

Absolutely! Even though Rick and JA look at similar factors to determine if a coin merits their sticker, in my opinion they place different weights from each other on those factors. As such, while many coins having one of the stickers merit the other one too, I’ve seen many examples where a coin with a CAC sticker will not get the Eagle Eye Photo Seal, AND examples where coins with Photo Seals will not get a CAC sticker. That’s why I feel that coins with both stickers are the best of both worlds, even though no doubt there is a redundancy.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:

@asheland said:
    This is awesome! B)

Absolutely! Even though Rick and JA look at similar factors to determine if a coin merits their sticker, in my opinion they place different weights from each other on those factors. As such, while many coins having one of the stickers merit the other one too, I’ve seen many examples where a coin with a CAC sticker will not get the Eagle Eye Photo Seal, AND examples where coins with Photo Seals will not get a CAC sticker. That’s why I feel that coins with both stickers are the best of both worlds, even though no doubt there is a redundancy.

Steve

I agree! 👍

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 11:35PM

@winesteven said:
    If you send the PCGS paperwork showing the old and new cert numbers via regrade, showing it’s the same coin, along with the coin to Rick, I believe he’ll resticker it since it did not get bumped up to the next whole grade number.

That was like 15+ years ago. I won't have jack on the paperwork. I think it was before plus designation at PCGS even. I want to keep the old holder since the RD guarantee; I know the coin is like a 155 years old and still RD it is going to be fine but I enjoy the insurance.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@winesteven said:
    If you send the PCGS paperwork showing the old and new cert numbers via regrade, showing it’s the same coin, along with the coin to Rick, I believe he’ll resticker it since it did not get bumped up to the next whole grade number.

That was like 15+ years ago. I won't have jack on the paperwork. I think it was before plus designation at PCGS even. I want to keep the old holder since the RD guarantee; I know the coin is like a 155 years old and still RD it is going to be fine but I enjoy the insurance.

Didn't the grading services drop the guarantee for the color designation a long time ago?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2023 4:09AM

@PerryHall said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@winesteven said:

Didn't the grading services drop the guarantee for the color designation a long time ago?

Yes, but this was a long time ago.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job @asheland!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!! 1866 is a tougher date to find nice and I only aspired to an 1877 that looked like that!! Well done...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Thanks everybody! :)

• Options

@hbarbee said:
    This article in Coin Update covers the Rick Snow PDS grading system:

https://news.coinupdate.com/considering-a-planchet-die-and-strike-grading-system/#:~:text=The supplemental grading system suggested,maximum total of 15 points.

There is a link within the article taking you to a video of him describing the system.

Rick can provide you with the grade he assigned to your coins. It is in the format:
    "13: 4, 4, 5, 10%" or Planchet, Die, Strike, % Red

Great link - thank you so much. This is why this forum is so awesome.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done, good eye.

• Options
    FredSFredS Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Nice. Why do you think he puts the stickers in a different spot each time? :#

• Options

@oldabeintx said:
    Well done, good eye.

I appreciate that! :) I am indeed very picky on appearance.

• Options

@FredS said:
    Nice. Why do you think he puts the stickers in a different spot each time? :#

:D I agree, I wondered that myself... It's like he anticipates the 1877 going to CAC, which it will if I send my coins But the others? Not sure, but it's cool. :)
    I would normally think that would bother me, but for some reason it doesn't at all this occasion...

• Options

He includes pictures of your coins, which is cool, however not as important to me on the 1866 or 1877 as they have excellent true-views already, however, the proof in the older holder, he did a great job:

• Options

So you get the sticker, the plasticized card that has the slab photo on one side and his signature on the other side, plus three nice downloadable photos - the slab shot showing the sticker applied, and a large obverse and a large reverse photo - all for only $15 plus round trip shipping?

Steve

• Options

All in all, I am VERY pleased with the service and will definitely do this again when I get more flyers or IHCs!

• Options

@winesteven said:
    So you get the sticker, the plasticized card that has the slab photo on one side and his signature on the other side, plus three nice downloadable photos - the slab shot showing the sticker applied, and a large obverse and a large reverse photo - all for only $15 plus round trip shipping?

Steve

Indeed! It was $65 total from him, $15 each for the coins and $20 for return shipping. A great deal!

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

He also makes a market for coins with the sticker, very important detail. Extremely fair person to do business with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file