Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Few Humble 1819 overdates

Got a few of my bust halves out today, I know they aren’t anything earth shattering, but they are what I can afford and I enjoy them. The overdates are some of my favorites, so here are my examples of all 6 1819/8 die marriages. (If any of you have a problem free O.106 in VF-XF I’m in the market).
Feel free to share your examples!

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set. Interesting fact, though. One of these coins isn't an overdate. The O-105. One can tell this by the fact that the 1s on all of the overdates have flat tops (as well as all1818s did). The 1s on the105 have a slanted/curved top as do all non-overdated 1819s.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking group! Pretty dang nice for "humble"!!

I'll try to remember to post mine later ... I have a 101 and a 103a, both in P55 with CAC stickers, and a 105 in P50.

According to Souders, the 105 is technically not an overdate (a finding I agree with after reading his dissertation and studying mine), however it is attributed as such in many publications and on almost all holders (mine included).

See page 448 of Bust Half Fever 1807 - 1836, Second Edition, by Edgar E. Souders for further information on his findings.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Ha! @OKbustchaser beat me to it!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set!

The 104 is such a cool obverse die.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 9:43AM

@OKbustchaser @pursuitofliberty
    I remember reading about the 105 not being a true overdate in Bust Half Fever and his reasoning seems to make sense. I find it interesting that grading services still attribute it as a 1819/8.

I never looked at the 1 punch used on other series before, but after noticing the flat topped 1 on the large cent that @Walkerguy21D posted, I see that the mint switched to the “pointed top 1” in 1819 on that series also (which seems to further proves Souders theory)

@lkeigwin, Your 104 is fantastic! (As are all your CBHs)
    Have there been any theories on what could be going on with S2? I mean besides the recutting, it almost appears there was a letter or number underneath.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KensCoins2287 said:
    @OKbustchaser @pursuitofliberty
    I remember reading about the 105 not being a true overdate in Bust Half Fever and his reasoning seems to make sense. I find it interesting that grading services still attribute it as a 1819/8.

Tradition (inertia) is hard to overcome. Another example from bust halves is the 1807 O-111 and O-112 which is still called the 50/20 in the Red Book and by all TPGs. It's not, though, it has been shown for over 25 years that the so-called 2 on the reverse is actually an inverted 5.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

Just for fun, here's my "Small 9" (O-101). My other images are lacking a bit, so I'll leave those alone for now

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

I had a 104 but sold it because I ended up not liking it. Still on the hunt.

I have a 102

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

REALLY like your O101!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any 1819/8's of my own to share, but I have to compliment everyone and say every coin here is a beauty!👍🏻👍🏻

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

Added a 105 from the Knoxville show today! Blue toning around the periphery gives way to auburn toning throughout the rest of the obverse. The reverse has a nice ring of rainbow around the edges and a drift mark that adds to the character.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins and wonderful photography all around.

This is going to read really odd, but I always see a flying witch behind S2 of O.104 where we see her scarf going off in one direction and the point of her hat in the other.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 104, PCGS AU58

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many cool coins in this thread, these are right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks for sharing, im gonna spend a bit looking these over and over

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file