Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stewart Blay's Lincolns, part III

As we have seen BIG prices realized in part I and part II, will we see extraordinary final prices when the smoke clears this Sunday in part III auction of his coins?

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irrational exuberance

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that these will do very well and there are still some very high grade coins, but there are no big gun coins like the ddo's in this last round.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stewart's opinion that the coin is original RD is definitely worth more than PCGS list. Lot's of RD copper has been dipped in the past.

OINK

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 5:07AM

I think some of the MS 67 coins can regrade to 68 possibly if resubmitted to PCGS. Maybe that is another reason why prices are so high

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 9:21PM

I think the main two reasons prices are high:

1. The coins themselves are outstanding for the grade, although I doubt many of the 67’s would successfully upgrade to 68.
    2. I think that this Pedigree has a LOT of value to many collectors. Sure, many collectors wouldn’t overpay just to have that pedigree, but I believe many other collectors were willing to overpay quite a bit to have one of Stewart’s coins in their collection!

I’m one of those in the latter camp that wanted at least one coin in my collection with that Pedigree! I was ready to pay crazy high prices on six of the lower valued coins. I place my max bids at the very end. On three of the six lots, I didn’t get to place my max bid since the pricing exceeded my amount with plenty of time left this evening. On the three lots where I did place crazy high bids at the very end, one I was still blown away, and I was the underbidder on two. Oh well!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 11:24PM

I got one just to have one from his collection. Kind of cool that it has double provenance.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2023 9:30PM

@winesteven said:
    I think the main two reasons prices are high:

1. The coins themselves are outstanding for the grade, although I doubt many of the 67’s would successfully upgrade to 68.
    2. I think that this Pedigree has a LOT of value to many collectors. Sure, many collectors wouldn’t overpay just to have that pedigree, but I believe many other collectors were willing to overpay quite a bit to have one of Stewart’s coins in their collection!

I’m one of those in the latter camp that wanted at least one coin in my collection with that Pedigree! I was ready to pay crazy high prices on six of the lower valued coins. I place my max bids at the very end. On three of the six lots, I didn’t get to place my max bid since the pricing exceeded my amount with plenty of time left this evening. On the three lots where I did place crazy high bids at the very end, one I was still blown away, and I was the underbidder on two. Oh well!

Steve

I did win one coin of the six I was watching/bidding on, but I had to overpay for it. Like you I was compelled to go for it on this occasion for the provenance. That is something that I rarely value, but there are exceptions. I do agree that I think some bought thinking they will hit the jackpot with crackouts/resubmissions.

It will be interesting to see if there is any movement/swelling of the pops for MS68 coins in the coming months.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand the high prices on these coins... One, superb quality, two the provenance and three, certainly the chance of an upgrade in some cases. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Be interesting to see if any of Stewart's coins end up in prominent Lincoln registry sets.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:
    Be interesting to see if any of Stewart's coins end up in prominent Lincoln registry sets.

I had read somewhere that Larry Schapiro upgraded his Lincoln set with some of these.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Just noticed the prices realized from HA.com Signature Sale (December 15-18, 2022). Many of the PCGS top-pop Lincolns from the 1940's & 50's brought REALLY BIG MONEY - much more than Stewart's versions of the same dates. These coins were from Tom Bender's registry set.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will PCGS put a Stewart Blay Collection provenance on if you send in for re-holder?

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 6:51PM

@davewesen said:
    Will PCGS put a Stewart Blay Collection provenance on if you send in for re-holder?

I do not recall the thread, but I do recall Ian saying that he was able to send in any of Stewart's coins and PCGS would include the "Red Copper Collection" provenance on the label. Do not recall if a price for this service was discussed, nor do I recall if there was a timeframe limit for this.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 6:56PM

@davewesen said:

I think this way more important than a CAC sticker. Stewart's opinion on RD copper is much more significant than CAC (JA) or PCGS graders. PCGS and CAC is have never been on the level of Blay regarding RD copper.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@davewesen said:

I think this way more important than a CAC sticker. Stewart's opinion on RD copper is much more significant than CAC (JA) or PCGS graders. PCGS and CAC is have never been on the level of Blay regarding RD copper.

OINK

You personally might, but what about the million collectors and future collectors that do/will not know anything of Stewart and his set or ability to find nice coins. I am not saying I disagree with you just that your way of thinking may be a rather small club that will shrink over time.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 7:45PM

@coinbuf said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@davewesen said:

OINK

You personally might, but what about the million collectors and future collectors that do/will not know anything of Stewart and his set or ability to find nice coins. I am not saying I disagree with you just that your way of thinking may be a rather small club that will shrink over time.

"Small clubs" do pay for the best of the best. As is evident in the latest auctions. TPG price guidelines are definitive guidelines maybe not connected to reality.
    Blay's provenance is desevering of being reflected on the PCGS label.

OINK

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are some really nice Canadian selling soon without CAC

• Options

@ls> @OldIndianNutKase said:

@davewesen said:

OINK

AND that is why most of his Lincoln’s merited (and have) CAC stickers!

Steve

• Options

@davewesen said:
    there are some really nice Canadian selling soon without CAC

They don’t have CAC stickers due to CAC not accepting Foreign coins!

Steve

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be reluctant to reholder copper in these rarified conditions. With exceptions or with expert consultation perhaps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file