Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Currently at PCGS for restoration

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2023 2:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The coin used to be blast white pre-ANACS slab. Hopefully they can remove the dark splotchy toning on the upper left reverse and minor spots on the obverse. Whatever it grades it deserves a better appearance.

Comments

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Will be interesting to see the results.

    Although you might have been better off just selling it as is as these small ANACS holders are in demand.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 3:51AM

    For what it's worth, the "before" picture doesn't look that bad to me at all. But I can understand wanting to conserve the slight staining and improve the coin's appearance.

    I guess I'm not so sure I'd have coughed up the money to do that for such a relatively minor issue, though. If it bothered me enough, I'd just sell the coin and buy something else. But it will be interesting to see the result. Best of luck!


    Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That coin looks pretty good to me!

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AlanSki .... It will be interesting to see the results if they choose to restore. Based on your pictures, I am concerned with what may be exposed in the obverse fields... I hope the marks are part of the tarnish. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    So, if he can't submit his coin at a show and he has to mail it in himself, it will cost him about $320. :o

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    So, if he can't submit his coin at a show and he has to mail it in himself, it will cost him about $320. :o

    I apologize for my mistake. New 2023 fees are in effect. Grading is $70 (not $65), and shipping is $41 (not $36). Minimum $293.50, plus cost to get the coin to pcgs.

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A waste of money plus probably a loss of money. The areas you want "conserved" are probably the result of an improper rinse after a previous dip and I doubt PCGS even does anything. How many times should a coin be dipped before the process starts to have a negative affect resulting in impaired luster?? Isn't this much of what the Hobby is against??

    I think this thread is a good example of what not to do to coins and how to waste money.

  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This looks like a well struck Grant with Star. Many of them have die polishing and this one does not. I'm wondering if the black above GOD on the reverse as well as the specks on the obverse are in fact PVC? If conserving can remove them, that's a plus. Unfortunately, It appears CAC does not value this coin as highly as PCGS. By the way the Guarantee Premium is 1%. From the PCGS website:

    "The Coin is removed from current holder and crossed over to PCGS holder; you are charged the standard grading fee + 1% Guarantee Premium."

    Thank you for sharing this coin with us and keep us posted as to your results.

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DisneyFan said:
    This looks like a well struck Grant with Star. Many of them have die polishing and this one does not. I'm wondering if the black above GOD on the reverse as well as the specks on the obverse are in fact PVC? If conserving can remove them, that's a plus. Unfortunately, It appears CAC does not value this coin as highly as PCGS. By the way the Guarantee Premium is 1%. From the PCGS website:

    "The Coin is removed from current holder and crossed over to PCGS holder; you are charged the standard grading fee + 1% Guarantee Premium."

    Thank you for sharing this coin with us and keep us posted as to your results.

    Guarantee premium for crossover is 1%. Correct. But he sent this in for restoration which carries a 3% guarantee premium. Makes no difference if the coin is raw or is in another tpg holder, same method and pricing applies.

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Broadstruck said:
    Will be interesting to see the results.

    Although you might have been better off just selling it as is as these small ANACS holders are in demand.

    People were too concerned with the dark spotting and the holder. The hardcore commem collectors prefer PCGS but will settle for NGC. That’s the market I tend to sell to.

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    So, if he can't submit his coin at a show and he has to mail it in himself, it will cost him about $320. :o

    It was subbed at FUN.

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 12:52PM

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    How do you get hosed on a $3000+ coin that you’ve owned since it got slabbed?

  • Options

    I don't want to sound negative, with that said, what will prevent this from occurring again?
    Did it happen as a result of the slab that it's in or the environment it was kept in?
    I do hope it works out well for you. I can tell you really like this coin. If your willing to spend that kind of money to care for it. I think it is commendable.

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Watchtower said:
    I don't want to sound negative, with that said, what will prevent this from occurring again?
    Did it happen as a result of the slab that it's in or the environment it was kept in?
    I do hope it works out well for you. I can tell you really like this coin. If your willing to spend that kind of money to care for it. I think it is commendable.

    Why not? It’s around $3K in 64.

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AlanSki said:

    @Watchtower said:
    I don't want to sound negative, with that said, what will prevent this from occurring again?
    Did it happen as a result of the slab that it's in or the environment it was kept in?
    I do hope it works out well for you. I can tell you really like this coin. If your willing to spend that kind of money to care for it. I think it is commendable.

    Why not? It’s around $3K in 64.

    Small Anacs are known to tone coins in them due to the chemicals used in production of them. Ever cracked one open and smelled it?

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AlanSki said:

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    How do you get hosed on a $3000+ coin that you’ve owned since it got slabbed?

    What I’m referring to is the coin in an old ANACS 65 holder is probably worth the same as a brand new pcgs 65 holder. Why spend $300 to dip an attractive coin if it doesn’t upgrade? Clearly you’re not happy with the look of the coin, so selling it in the ANACS holder seemed to be the best choice. Giving $300 to pcgs is very charitable of you, but unless that coin comes back 66 or higher, that hunk of profit is gone.

  • Options
    BartinBartin Posts: 12
    edited January 28, 2023 5:33PM

    @1madman said:

    @AlanSki said:

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    How do you get hosed on a $3000+ coin that you’ve owned since it got slabbed?

    What I’m referring to is the coin in an old ANACS 65 holder is probably worth the same as a brand new pcgs 65 holder. Why spend $300 to dip an attractive coin if it doesn’t upgrade? Clearly you’re not happy with the look of the coin, so selling it in the ANACS holder seemed to be the best choice. Giving $300 to pcgs is very charitable of you, but unless that coin comes back 66 or higher, that hunk of profit is gone.

    You may be right, except you missed, (or worse, don't care) that it was already sent to PCGS.

    Y'all are dumping on OP.
    What kind of forum is this?

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 5:40PM

    @1madman said:

    @AlanSki said:

    @1madman said:

    @PerryHall said:
    It doesn't look that bad. I'd leave well enough alone if it were my coin. How much will it cost for conservation (dipping), grading, and insured shipping both ways?

    It’s gonna cost $65 grading, plus $10 evaluation fee, plus 3% guarantee premium ($172.50 if it grades ms65 again), plus $36 return shipping, plus whatever he spent mailing it to pcgs (hopefully submitted in person at the fun show or the Long Beach show next week).

    Minimum $283.50

    Pray for an upgrade or you’re gonna get hosed on this one.

    How do you get hosed on a $3000+ coin that you’ve owned since it got slabbed?

    What I’m referring to is the coin in an old ANACS 65 holder is probably worth the same as a brand new pcgs 65 holder. Why spend $300 to dip an attractive coin if it doesn’t upgrade? Clearly you’re not happy with the look of the coin, so selling it in the ANACS holder seemed to be the best choice. Giving $300 to pcgs is very charitable of you, but unless that coin comes back 66 or higher, that hunk of profit is gone.

    Do you not think I tried to sell it and everyone who wants to buy a $3000 coin wants it in either a PCGS or NGC slab. This isn’t my first rodeo with commems.







  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That Hawaiian in 66 looks gorgeous. I figured the cac sticker was gonna be the direction you’d go after it’s in the pcgs holder, and a green sticker will recoup the restoration fees. I had no idea classic commem collectors are that picky about old ANACS holders?

    Other question I had was what if it comes back a 64? Better shot at a gold bean, or total disappointment?

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1madman said:
    That Hawaiian in 66 looks gorgeous. I figured the cac sticker was gonna be the direction you’d go after it’s in the pcgs holder, and a green sticker will recoup the restoration fees. I had no idea classic commem collectors are that picky about old ANACS holders?

    Other question I had was what if it comes back a 64? Better shot at a gold bean, or total disappointment?

    No disappointment. Coins are a game of opinions. Sometimes it goes your way and others it doesn’t. It’s the risk we take.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file